so is that all this thing can do?

AntDogg65

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Nashville, TN
Hey guys, I have recently returned to Dish after two years with D* and I am I. Love right now with E*. I have both the 722 and 922, as I returned mainly for.the 922. I love the sling and the menus, but is that all this thing will do? I remember hearing that this will have a full web browser and ways to download more apps, so far I haven't seen any of.that. I love it, I am just curious to see if this thing will do more.

It will be updated to do tv 2 for independent tv viewing in Sd ,yes I said SD , come next week with 110 software. As for the web browser, it is not to be, get a google box for that. As for the sling extender , it has been pulled from the DISH website and is probably not going to happen. Apps aren't going to happen either according to Scott. So this is about it for the 922. It is nothing more than a 722k with a bigger hard drive, updated menus ,guides, channel logos and it can sling all for an extra $4.00 a month. Sad it had so much potential but as usual DISH has moved on to other things now. Come January at CES I am betting they will unveil that direction. I've given up on the 922 and I'm swapping it back in for a 722k that is supposed to come Tuesday. I wanted it mainly to be able to sling in hd to another hd in my house and that isn't going to happen now. The 922 has turned out to be one big" Bait and Switch" in regards to promised features as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I think it is well worth it just for the new menus. Also they are not only new menus but they are also no where near as sluggish either. Having everything built in is nice also in case something goes wrong with something you just have to exchange one box. Well worth the extra $4 if you ask me.

IF the 922 had web browser built in like the said it would last January, as well as new applications that could be added, and of course the ability to do HD on tv 2 using the sling extender, then I would more than agree that the $4.00 fee was justified. But that is not the case. Instead you pay an extra $4.00 a month more to do what you can do for FREE with a 722k and a sling adapter. Not worth it when you consider you can pay one time for a sling adapter at $99.00 vs paying $48.00 extra a year to use the 922. That adds up . Besides what I have read here by Scott , the sling adapter does a better job with HD slinging than the 922 does. The hd pq is supposedly better on the adapter vs the built in sling of the 922.

Hey guys, I have recently returned to Dish after two years with D* and I am I. Love right now with E*. I have both the 722 and 922, as I returned mainly for.the 922. I love the sling and the menus, but is that all this thing will do? I remember hearing that this will have a full web browser and ways to download more apps, so far I haven't seen any of.that. I love it, I am just curious to see if this thing will do more.

The 922 also has a DLNA client.

Yes it does have that and so does the google box, which also has the web browser in it and operates like a min lap top computer.

MikeD-C05 said:
t The hd pq is supposedly better on the adapter vs the built in sling of the 922.
I know you have a strong opinion when it comes to the 922 but that line is definitely not true. The PQ is identical to both setups and only varies based on how strong your internet connection is and how stable, and also the traffic congestion on the site that your content it is being fed through.

It comes down to opinion really if something is worth the extra dollars or not. It may be worth it to some and it might not be to others. It is a fact however that the 722 is known for having sluggish menus at times and I'll gladly pay the extra four dollars to not have to deal with that crap. The menus are sharper and more organized. It's well worth the money to me but that is my opinion.

BTW I thought this was the 922 support thread section not the 922 $%#&! and complain thread section.

Last edited:
Now that's some funny sh@#! Mikey no likey the 922. I still think there is more to come. My 922 has worked quite nicely.

+1.

So, the 922 has the following unique features:

- Has a nicer look and feel, displayed in 720p, including showing channel logos, much nicer text/graphics, better DVR conflict resolution, and fewer required clicks to do basic things like delete shows
- Is faster and more responsive than any DVR I've ever used (although I'm sure the 722K slowdown will be fixed eventually)
- Has nice looking physical hardware with a touch-sensitive front panel
- Has a really good search feature
- Integrates Sling
- Supports DLNA, so you can watch Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ESPN 3, Amazon VOD, and lots of other channels from your DVR without switching inputs on the TV, etc.

Oh, and don't forget the Weather app... :)

I know you have a strong opinion when it comes to the 922 but that line is definitely not true. The PQ is identical to both setups and only varies based on how strong your internet connection is and how stable, and also the traffic congestion on the site that your content it is being fed through.

It comes down to opinion really if something is worth the extra dollars or not. It may be worth it to some and it might not be to others. It is a fact however that the 722 is known for having sluggish menus at times and I'll gladly pay the extra four dollars to not have to deal with that crap. The menus are sharper and more organized. It's well worth the money to me but that is my opinion.

BTW I thought this was the 922 support thread section not the 922 $%#&! and complain thread section.

First of all I quoted what I read that Scott said about the adapter in regards to pq. As for this being a Bitch session about the 922, this is a discussion forum about the good ,the bad and the ugly about the 922, not a pep rally or advertisement FOR the 922. It is in a 922 thread asking" is this all this thing can do?"

I am going to say this one more time to make it very clear for you . I like the 922 as far as menus ,guides, pq, channel logos and larger hard drive. I do not like the fact that the receiver randomly still drops out on 4 recordings at a time and loses one or more of the recordings . I do not like the fact that the very features of this 922 that I was sold on at the CES were now removed: Sling extender for hd over tv 2 and the built in web browser and applications that could be added . I do not like the fact that now a sub with a 722/722k can now do sling with an adapter for no monthly fee ,while I have to pay $4.00 more a month for the same feature. This is what I consider BAIT AND SWITCH in the loss of these features. Most of these features were proudly shown at CES by Scott G. himself in his videos. I don't blame Scott because he was lead down the same path as I was, with great flashy features and promises of great things to come.

Now I Paid over $350.00 for this receiver and traded in an old 722 dvr to get this 922. This is the second time I spent a large amount of money for a receiver that is supposed to be the cutting edge state of the art receiver. The 921 pvr being the $1000.00 brick that I first got burnt on. That turned out to be little more than an hd version of the 721 pvr with NO name based recording. Both of those receivers are now gone and not supported. I fear the 922 will be another orphaned receiver ,just like the two I already mentioned. Right now it is little more than a 722k (without independent tv 2 viewing feature till 110 software) with a souped of hard drive and built in sling- that doesn't always work well.

Now I have learned one thing about this whole situation and I want to say it for all to read: DO NOT buy a receiver based on promised features at CES , only buy a receiver for working features.

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:
DO NOT buy a receiver based on promised features at CES , only buy a receiver for working features.

That's what anyone could have told you to do from the get go. We get it already. You hate the 922 and Dish. You only make that known in every single thread (also this forum section is for support for people that need help with their 922 and it is not intended as a place to do nothing but bash the equipment and company). So why don't you switch to another sat provider if you hate Dish and the way they do things? We that still signed up for the 922 long after it was known about a couple features being dropped, are still pleased with what was included and feel the interface alone makes for a nicer and more hassle free time of watching TV. You can't put a price on that.

Then again maybe you can. Four extra dollars per month. Worth every penny to me.

This is actually not true.

The Sling PQ is MUCH better on HD on the Sling Adapter then it is on the 922. On the 922 the HD PQ is terrible with the sides of the HD cut off.

The DISH Sling Adapter has much better PQ then the 922. However I would expect that to change once the 922 gets the updated Sling codec.

That's what anyone could have told you to do from the get go. We get it already. You hate the 922 and Dish. You only make that known in every single thread (also this forum section is for support for people that need help with their 922 and it is not intended as a place to do nothing but bash the equipment and company). So why don't you switch to another sat provider if you hate Dish and the way they do things? We that still signed up for the 922 long after it was known about a couple features being dropped, are still pleased with what was included and feel the interface alone makes for a nicer and more hassle free time of watching TV. You can't put a price on that.

Then again maybe you can. Four extra dollars per month. Worth every penny to me.

Okay obviously you don't read carefully thought out posts and only want to see what you want to see. That is great , you are a 922 pom pom waiver and supporter. Then why don't you go back to your wonderful 922 and enjoy it . I have been with DISH for 14 years and a member of this board going back to 2003. I for one will continue to post where I want to, when I want to and I will not respond anymore to your troll like posts. Welcome to Ignore.

Last edited:
This is actually not true.

The Sling PQ is MUCH better on HD on the Sling Adapter then it is on the 922. On the 922 the HD PQ is terrible with the sides of the HD cut off.

The DISH Sling Adapter has much better PQ then the 922. However I would expect that to change once the 922 gets the updated Sling codec.

Thanks for posting. I knew that you had said the pq was better with the sling adapter vs the sling pq in hd on the 922.

:eek: Are you saying that the transcoding is going on in software? I had assumed the 922 has the Sling Adapter hardware inside.

This reminds me. I have asked several times since the 922 was announced, but nobody has offered a technical explanation. Nobody who knows is talking! So therefore it might require disassembly of a 922 and careful examination and lookup of the ASICs inside to determine. My question is this: does the 922 work like an external Slingbox (analog capture, compression, encryption) or rather like the Sling Adapter (decryption, transcoding, re-encryption)?

I may have to take back what I said...

My PC got a new update when I logged into DISH Remote Access, and the HD on the 922 is now full 16 x 9 Good Quality HD.

I will say that the 722k with Sling adapter still looks a little better to my eye, but here are some screen shots for you to check out for yourself.

Attachments

• 922sling.jpg
    922sling.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 722sling.jpg
    722sling.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 219
Yes I noticed that the HD remote access on the 922 has been fixed recently. It appears to be a fix on the dishonline side of things. They were probably asking the 922 sling for the picture in the wrong mode. Since the update:

1. I always ask for the HD stream when on the computer. It fixes the 16:9 issue
2. Even though my upstream is 2Mbit, the HD still works now (used to drop out all the time), it is just in a lower effective resolution that it should be, but worth it for correct aspect ratio.
3. Connects much more reliably.

I still had S109, so I think the 922 is the same but the dishonline does a better job of negotiating the stream. I suspect that they did not address the dishonline problem until they got the 722 adapter in test and saw the problems. Again I think it is another case of the 922 team at Dish not getting resources, and it took the 722 resources to get the job done. At least getting the 722 sling working helped out the 922 effort.