So is the 922 a good choice given my Home Distribution usage?

scotty1963

Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
Midwest
I have a VIP722, and use the Home Distribution port to send SD to a splitter box that feeds 3 SD TV's throughout the house. The unit is always in dual mode so that the other 3 TV's can watch anything they want (using IR remotes) regardless of what the main HDTV is watching/recording. I have searched the forums and understand that originally the 922's TV OUT (whatever it's called on the 922) did not function like the 722's Home Distribution port.

What is less clear to me is whether or not that has changed, and if it has, will it allow us to simultaneously watch/record separate programs via the primary output and the secondary one (TV OUT or whatever they call it now)?

If so, is there anything I should know about it that functions differently than how it does with my 722? Any issue with remote control operation?

The 922 TV Out still does not work. Just curious as to why you are considering a 922. There are many, many days I'm glad I got one but there are also days when I miss my 622. With the soon to be released Logitech Review you will be able to do more with your 722 than you can with the 922 with the current software. Of course, Scott keeps telling us in a month or so we are going to be so happy we have 922s ;) Plus you will be able to access and stream images, music and video files on your PC with the Review on the 722 as the 922 does now.

For your situation, if you are planning on replacing the 722 with the 922, I would not recommend it. Other wise, if you plan on just using the 922 on one TV and want to use Sling it is a pretty nice box. I would always want a 722 as a back up though. In fact, I have my 922 in my living room now where I watch TV 90% of the time and since GoogleTV will NOT work with the 922 for now, I am thinking about moving my 722 back into my living room and getting a GoogleTV and moving the 922 to my office. Then maybe in the future if the 922 gets the GoogleTV update or some compelling new feature I will move it back.

For your situation, if you are planning on replacing the 722 with the 922, I would not recommend it. Other wise, if you plan on just using the 922 on one TV and want to use Sling it is a pretty nice box. I would always want a 722 as a back up though. In fact, I have my 922 in my living room now where I watch TV 90% of the time and since GoogleTV will NOT work with the 922 for now, I am thinking about moving my 722 back into my living room and getting a GoogleTV and moving the 922 to my office. Then maybe in the future if the 922 gets the GoogleTV update or some compelling new feature I will move it back.

I got the 922 and kept my 622 as a backup.

myron243 said:
The Logitech Revue with Google TV will work with a 922 and many other set top boxes. But it will only integrate with the 622/722/722K.

Yeah, I was wanting the integration feature. That is why I was wanting use it with the 722 for now.

Home Distribution works fine on the 922. ;)

I have a Desktop with SlingPlayer 2.0.3.508 always turned on as Audio only (Settings -> Player -> Audio Only (Alt+A)). This causes the TV2 to be dual mode ALWAYS ON and uses ~ 60-70 kbps bandwidth which is peanuts compared to the video bandwidth (~ 8000 kbps+), so no real workload for the router.

I also have a second 32.0 which is set as the TV2 remote. I use the TV2 remote to change channels on the 2nd TV upstairs and it works just as if you had a 722 with home distribution. :D :popcorn

When I am away from home, I can take over the sling functionality on my mobile or PC. I don't know if others have been using it this way but its quite practical on my setup. :up

Well I was hoping to get the 922 for the enhanced interface and guide, but without the TV OUT I will not consider it.

As for the Logitech Revue, it looks mildly interesting. I would gladly pay a one-time fee for it, but will not consider the monthly fee that Dish wants. Since I look at things long-term, I view their $4 monthly fee as a $480 charge over the next 10 years. For that, I'll keep the netbook on my lap or iPhone in my hand and browse or listen to music without interfering with what my wife is watching on the main screen. It's cute, but not worth $659 (the $480 for 10 years plus the "discounted" initial $179 for Dish customers).

TV out like the 622/722 works fine. I have had it working since day 1 the 922 was available. I use my office, Kitchen, masterBath all off the coaxl side, it see what the main TV sees on HDMI until i turn on the sling then it works like tv out on the 622/722 box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts