So now StarzHD is mpeg2 at 7Mbps? No.. but close

Well I just recorded a sample from StarzHD from 61.5, cant do TSreader on it from here, but it was 60 seconds, and 110MB, which works out to be 14.66mbit, so I am guessing its still MPEG4 (that was the bitrate of it before). It does appear to be MPEG4 from what I can tell, will know for sure when I get home.

StarzHD on 129 is one of FOUR video feeds on a TP. To boot, all 4 are mpeg2, so, yea, starzHD sucks on 129 at the moment. This happened when they added the RSN stuff.

StarzHD on 61.5 is still mpeg4 and as Kirby said, around 14Mbit.

Theres some more info posted in the uplink activity thread.

Copied from the uplink thread:

TP CHAN # BITRATE RESOLUTION
30 STZHD 9435 9.2 1440x1080i
30 NFLHD 9464 9.4 1440x1080i
30 NTGHD 9429 12 1280x720p
30 HGHD 9461 10.8 1440x1080i

I'd say all four of these channels are suffering on 129. Best bet it to get a dish looking at 61.5 for now :)

I dropped all my movie packs after I purchased an HD-A1. The quantity of true HD DVD's may be limited now but even the upconverted standard DVD's look better than StarzHD (even when 129 isn't wheezing). I dropped my Platinum and went to Gold (had to keep NTGHD) and applied the savings to Netflix. I think I'm ahead 5-7 bucks per month.

GeorgeLV said:
Suck it DirecTV, E* is the HD-Lite leader!

I guess you are right E* is the HD Lite leader because they are carrying the most "HD" channels now. DirecTv has been quite good with given people HD Lite all of these years, way before HD Lite made it to E*. :D

I think in a head-to-head competion, that E* has it all over D* as the HD-lite leader. And are about to widen the gap in two ways, by squeezing in even more HD-lite channels at even lower bitrates.

HokieEngineer said:
I'd say all four of these channels are suffering on 129. Best bet it to get a dish looking at 61.5 for now :)

I still have a dish pointing at 61.5 even after getting my Dish 1000. How do you force which sat a channel is received from? Or is it possible?

I typically never pay attention to the discussion of hd-lite or bit rates, but I watched Starz HD last night and today, and the picture looked alirght except a couple breakups, but the audio is terrible, with constant crakling and breakups - especially noticable during intro music, etc.

Is this related to their recent changes?

The Big Wood said:
I still have a dish pointing at 61.5 even after getting my Dish 1000. How do you force which sat a channel is received from? Or is it possible?

Good question. At first thought, I would think based on the order they are hooked to the switch, but I'm just guessing there. I will see if I can figure it out tonight.

I'm really wondering if it's time to dump the stock (NASDAQ - DISH). Degradation of PQ (especially on premium channels) only plays into the hands of your competitors - especially Verizon's FIOS in the greater Washington, DC area, which is going gangbusters. What is E* thinking about?

Just my two cents.

--Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)