So now that the NBC Sports Network has launched...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Should Comcast just get rid of the Golf Channel? I mean I highly doubt that anybody even watches that channel (unless there are still some devoted Tiger Woods' fans.) And any golf tournaments that are normally on the Golf Channel would just move to NBC SN. They already merged Golf Channel's coverage and NBC's coverage together whenever there's a PGA game on NBC now, but I don't really see the point of having the Golf Channel anymore when you already own another network that talks about all kinds of sports in the 1st place. What do you guys think?

wasn't this just a re branding of Versus by the same parent company? the Golf channel is a totally separate and very viable channel offering compared to Versus/NBC Sports.

Golf Channel shows a lot of foreign events that they probably wouldn't want on NBC Sports or have time slots for once they start adding more events to NBCSports.

edit: spelling

charper1 said:
wasn't this just a re branding of Versus by the same parent company? the Golf channel is a totally separate and very viable channel offering compared to Versus/NBC Sports.

It was. I would think it remains largely devoted to the NHL and Indy Racing League. I personally enjoy the Golf Channel but, at least in my inner circle of friends, I'm the only one that does. :)

osu1991 said:
Gold Channel shows a lot of foreign events that they probably wouldn't want on NBC Sports or have time slots for once they start adding more events to NBCSports.

Plenty of golf not devoted to Tiger Woods. I enjoyed watching the sport long before he rolled around.

royrdsjr said:
What about Bull Riding?

Pbr moved to another network.

Someone asked about The Golf Channel on Directv, I am hearing it is possible they get rid of it in the future and replace it with a new start up called the Back 9 Network. (who hq is just down the street from my office in Hartford)

Could just be me, but I was watching a bit of the channel when they switched over at 4; PQ looked better then versus, but I doubt anything like that would change

Pbr moved to another network.

Someone asked about The Golf Channel on Directv, I am hearing it is possible they get rid of it in the future and replace it with a new start up called the Back 9 Network. (who hq is just down the street from my office in Hartford)

I'm not a Golf guy but what is the Back 9 Network? I've never even heard of it and I live in CT.

I think NBC Sports Network will do well eventually but they are going to need some programming besides hockey. Btw, does the Mountain West Conference Tourney final that aired on Versus move as well?

Backnike Net?? UGH.. Based on their mission statement it sounds more like they will die fast rather than take over or eat into anything Golf TV provides; the REAL, ACTUAL COMPETITIONS. Sadly like to many other things in today's world they will focus on anything and everything EXCEPT for what really matters in regards to their industry. No matter how loosely they can try to relate it to Golf.

The first ever, premier multimedia lifestyle and entertainment network for golf fans globally is coming to a television, computer, or mobile device near you. And it’ll be like nothing you’ve ever seen. As much a lifestyle network as a sports channel, Back9 will differ from its competitors by focusing on the intrinsic “story” of the sport and examining the players and the world in which golf resides.

While “others” are preoccupied with professional tournament competition,
Back9 Network will focus on the modern golf lifestyle.

Travel, fashion, fine wine, and the most breathtaking golf experiences you’ve ever witnessed. Our award-winning producers will circle the globe, bringing back the stories that celebrate the sport, on and off the course. We’ll have a point of view and a personality. We’ll be fresh and appealing. And we’ll have something for everyone… long time player and beginner, traditionalist and progressive alike.

Golf. There is no other sport that has created its own lifestyle.
There is no other network that celebrates it. Until now.

Last edited:
Now that they've rebranded maybe they'll get something that makes me want to tune to the 600s. Turning Point and Sports Talk is a good start. With the NFL season ending and no sign of the UFL moving forward I suspect it'll become irrelevant for a while though (for me).

Golf Channel is a highly successful network, as golf has, as they say, "great demographics". It has lots more programming than the general NBCSN could accomodate, including the Champions (AKA Seniors), LPGA, Euro Tour, Nationwide, and lots of successful shows (Morning Drive, talk shows, instruction shows, etc). Further it is automatically on in many planned communities, resorts, country club developments, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts