So now that voOm looks like its going to survive what does it need to change?

jagouar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 29, 2004
College Station, TX
Talking installer network, etc.... maybe we can get a nice list going and get it sent to Charles since it looks like he might be able to run this company properly now.

EDIT 2/11
========
DVR
RSN's (SD or HD)
Own installer network
PPV
National HD feeds
Better Advertising (BB/CC)
Self Install Kits
missing HD channels and SD channels
MPEG4

That seems to cover things pretty well.... now we just need to rank them in terms of importance.

Right now all I am missing is the RSNs (Comcast SportsNet HD for me). Lucky me, MD football sucked this past year, so I didn't miss much.

-John

I second that...

jagouar said:
Talking installer network, etc.... maybe we can get a nice list going and get it sent to Charles since it looks like he might be able to run this company properly now.
...and I'd like to see VOOM doing their own training and quality control for installers. I nominate TYORK to head that division! :bounce

DVR in Feb or March, Trim down the cinema channels to improve variety lessen repetitiveness and add some pay per view channels.

Thanks Mr. Dolan. You are the most bad ass risk taker I have ever seen. GIve me a job.

PPV sports. I would like to be able to watch Pride fighting and UFC on voom.

Ppv

I think PPV would be nice, HD PPV my newphew said he would give me half the money so if it is worth 5.99 who cares i am enjoying HD PPV for 3.00 Dollars. I would like my Local Sports Channels so hopefully Voom will tell us before March 1, 2005 what channels there adding. :D

National HD feeds of the networks need to be put up for all users who can't pick them up ota.

justalurker said:
What do they have to change?
OPERATE WITH A PROFIT! :D

JL
That ain't gonna happen for at least another 3 years. They're goanna need deep pockets and a solid business plan. They may need to sell some of their exclusive programming to the competition...for all we know, there may already be programming contracts in place. Who knows at this point? I'm just glad VOOM will still be around and that we will have HD programming choices.

Also, was anything mentioned regarding Rainbow Media assets (WE, IFC, AMC?). If I were a betting man, I would say the Dolan Sr. is going to get a very sweet deal in exchange for his converting his stock to non-voting shares. I guess we will have a better, more realistic, idea of what services can be improved once the terms and financings arrangements for VOOM HD LLC are publicly disclosed. Offhand, I would suspect Lockheed Martin and Motorola would have a vested interest in helping finance the new company.

More shopping channels, in high def. And of course the holy rollers and faith healer channels. They can be SD however.

I would have to vote for a better set of installers here in the CT area. I have talked to more people that have had bad installs here in CT than all the D* and E* people I know. Maybe a little training on how to deal with the public.
That first impression goes a long way towards company relations!

DVR, MPEG4/WM9, and more HD channels. Also Voom needs to try to get into BB/CC for advertisement.

mp3audio said:
self install kits

If they got this going as I have said before sub rates would jump,you need the stb's in the stores next to the HD tv's,someone all excited about the new 3500.00 HDTV is going to take one of the puppies home to round out viewing experence on the weekend

MPEG4/and a little more content with less repeats

The only problem with adding subs is that they take money to acquire: advertising, installation and hardware expenses to name but a few. What VOOM really needs is money and plenty of it; deep-pockets would be nice.

Verizon is making a big push to bring, "Fiber to the Home" and has announced their desire to provide Video services as well. Personally, I would like to see Verizon use some of their excess cash and buy into VOOM HD LLC. IMO, a Verizon/VOOM partnership would be of considerable concern for Cable and DBS providers and a great way to provide an almost unlimited stream of HD content. :up

V2 = Verizon + VOOM HD

Lucky said:
If VOOM loses Rainbow 1 and only has Rainbow 2 would they actually be able to add more channels ?
Yes, if they use MPEG-4 compression and/or lease addition transponders on the AMC-6 satellite. However, I expect VOOM will be using Rainbow-1 for months to come. We shall see...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts