Somone who has D* HD or E* HD how does it compare to voom?

parrothd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I'll probably upgrade my DirectTV IRD to DirectTvHD when/if Vomo sevice shuts down, but I've heard the HD quality on DirectTV sucks, not to mention limited HD channels.

Does anyone have both DirectTV HD(or Dish) and Voom? If so how does the picture quality compare to Voom on the HD channels??? :mad:

I can tell you Dish has very nice quality HD, I have everything pack and also get HBO and SHO HD. If they just had more of it. I am luck though, I get CBS, NBC, PBS and ABC OTA HD.

I had E* and the SD quality is horrible. HD wasn't too bad, but 10 bucks more it costs for 4 or 5 stations.... a waist of money, especially after seeing voom.

I have both dish and voom. voom blows dish hd away both in content and quantity

right now I am looking at comcast so I don't have to layout money for new hd receivers

D* picture quality not as good on some.... but not anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. IF you are lucky enough to live in an O&A market you get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX in HD.

The main HD channels are HBO, Showtime, Discovery Home theater, HDnet, HDnet Movies, and Universal HD.

Plus, we have been getting Yankee Games in HD on YES.

We are all hoping for better quality after the MPEG 4 conversion.....

I have had Voom for about a month now. I had D* almost since it started service. I have kept D* active as a backup in case this scenario came to be. I am able to toggle between D* and Voom (the HD channels that both have anyway) and the picture quality on Voom is noticeably better. With D* premium channels I got HBO and Showtime East. Being on the west coast I am sorely going to miss having the option of an East and West feed not to mention all the extra HD channels that Voom has.

Voom's PQ since the new encoders has been horrible. If Voom's picture quality after the switch is still better than E* or D* then I have no intention of picking a new satellite co. for HD until they get their head out of their @$$ and recognize the future of HDTV. May 1 will be a sad day for all Voomers if D* or E* can't do better. What they lack in quantity, they better make up for in quality!

Last year I had Direct TV SD, Comcast HD and Voom all at the same time, I cancled Comcast cause the bill was outragoues and I hate comcast :rolleyes: but the pciture qaulity was good..

I still have DirectTV SD, I heard if I call and threaten to cancle they will give you the DirectTV HD reciever for free, so I'll probably just do that when/if voom closes until one of the providers steps up their HD content....

Just wanted to see if the DirectTV HD is better or worse than Dish, so I can figure out who I might need to choose in the future... :mad:

For those who could use Time Warner...

The price is TERRIBLE, but the quality is quite good. They only offer locals (Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS), PBS, and Discovery HD without paying extra. They offer Showtime East and West HD, and HBO East and West HD, each premium package costing extra. They also have (for another $9.00/mo.) an HD package which consists of ESPN HD, HDNet 1 & 2, and HDNet Movies. So nine bucks for four channels. Whooptie doo da! I must also add however, that Time Warner *does* offer multi-room DVR, at least in my area. The charge is like five bucks per box per month, and the boxes do record HD. So you add it all up, you're paying a fortune, but that's because Time Warner knows that they have no comprable competition, at least once Voom is gone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)