E* or D*

phatbastard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I am going to make a service decision in the next few days, and they are not installing until my voom goes dark.... But for some reason this is a very hard decision for me ever since I have found this website and realized how much BS these 2 providers provide... Money is not a huge concern, but obviously I like a deal when i see one. I would like to probably rent a HD receiver if I can since the technology is changing so fast, so which one am i going to get the most HD programming with for now and maybe a year from now....and which one has the better image quality. I also heard from somewhere that even with a HD reciever and my locals broadcasting in HD that even D* nor E* will give me a HD signal for locals. Im just at a loss and dunno what to do. Anybody care to comment?

If you want to lease the boxes you have to go with E*. The only way to get an HD STB from D* is to purchase it.

If you are getting your HD locals OTA then you can still do so with either the E* or D* boxes. You will not get HD locals from either and the SD locals look awful.

Even though your cable co. may stink, it may be the best, and most cost effective, option for the next few months. By the the end of the Summer there should be a much clearer picture regarding what the other guys are actually going to deliver in terms of HD.

phatbastard said:
I am going to make a service decision in the next few days, and they are not installing until my voom goes dark.... But for some reason this is a very hard decision for me ever since I have found this website and realized how much BS these 2 providers provide... Money is not a huge concern, but obviously I like a deal when i see one. I would like to probably rent a HD receiver if I can since the technology is changing so fast, so which one am i going to get the most HD programming with for now and maybe a year from now....and which one has the better image quality. I also heard from somewhere that even with a HD reciever and my locals broadcasting in HD that even D* nor E* will give me a HD signal for locals. Im just at a loss and dunno what to do. Anybody care to comment?

Both providers have said that in the future they'll be moving to MPEG4 for their HD content, but neither provider has a MPEG4 STB at this time. Unofficial comments about D* have said that they will replace any HD STB and dish you have now with a new MPEG4 box when needed for no or little charge and maybe a 1 year commitment. No rumor from E* on what their plans are for this. D* has said that with their four new satellites going up that they'll do 1500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels between this year and 2007 (but no word on any new national HD channels anytime soon, just locals). E*'s said maybe one or two new channels but need to wait to MPEG4 before any large increase. E*'s also not really said what they're going to do with all the transponder space they've been leasing or purchasing (Rainbow-1).

As for your local HD channels, both E* and D* STB's have an ATSC receiver in it, so if you got your HD locals with your V* STB then you'll be able to get them with E* or D*. For D*, if your local ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX station is an owned and operated, and no other station can claim you with a grade A or B signal then D* would give you the NYC HD feed for that network.

Since your post says you're in Houston, D* has you as one of the first cities that could get the HD local major networks via the new Spaceway 1 satellite that's launching this month, estimates are sometime early 3rd quarter that they would start firing up the channels:
The first group of DMAs to receive local HD channels is: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa. These markets represent nearly 36 million homes or 32.8 percent of all U.S. TV households. Additional markets to receive local HD programming this year will be announced at a later date. Today, DIRECTV offers local channels in standard definition in 130 markets, including these 12 markets.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the feedback, it really cleared some things up. I think I am starting to lean towards D*....

E* Hd

Just Got E* Install Today In South Florida, Very Profesional
One 811 Hd And One 522 Sd Dvr For 2 Rooms , Hd Picture Looks Just Like Voom :)
If You Need Recomendations E-mail To Sendy582aol.com :)

Amphicar770 said:
If you want to lease the boxes you have to go with E*. The only way to get an HD STB from D* is to purchase it.

If you are getting your HD locals OTA then you can still do so with either the E* or D* boxes. You will not get HD locals from either and the SD locals look awful.

Even though your cable co. may stink, it may be the best, and most cost effective, option for the next few months. By the the end of the Summer there should be a much clearer picture regarding what the other guys are actually going to deliver in terms of HD.
I was told my HD Locals would look the same, I realy don't understand your statement..

"If you are getting your HD locals OTA then you can still do so with either the E* or D* boxes. You will not get HD locals from either and the SD locals look awful."

HD locals should look the same IF they are available via sat.

The SD locals via sat look awful. Worse than cable, much worse than digital OTA.

Overall, the HD looks as good as Voom. You just will not have nearly as much of it and likely much less than even digital cable. E* and D* MIGHT catch up in the next 123 months or they might not. This is why I do not think it is wise to lock in either contractually or financially at this time. 12 months from now it MIGHT be different.

lee espinoza said:
At the end of this year D* is going to start lease there new Hd-Dvr

Even if they do this is why I went with the cable co... I want a HD-DVR and couldnt get one cheap from any Sat service. By the end of the year Verizon should be starting their TV service..... a whole lot will change by the end of the year. You might look at Time Warner again.... Ive heard some overall good things about TW in Houston but not in the northern part.

Would not rule out cable. Both Dish & Direct carry only about 10 or 11 channels of HD. My Time/Warner Cable company carries 14 HD channels. Then there's OTA HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts