HD PQ: Voom VS. D*

i have a sony its my pq is just fine i love it some of you are just to picky

Walter L. said:
What I understood he said was that the PQ was "just about perfect", but the content was just "pure eye candy". Darrell?

IMO, when strobe lights hold tight in HD on a 9 foot screen,that is perfection. It doesnt get much better than that.

I know what you mean. Compared the Voom Discovery HD to Besy Buy HD feed or Discovery HD from D*, Voom HD PQ is a little soft and less bright.
And I think Voom SD is not as good as the SD from D*. I hope they can improve the PQ. It is all about the encoder and bandwidth. Voom might try to squeeze more channels onto 1 transponder so they degrade the PQ.

To me, the difference is pretty noticable even I am no video expert. I guess I still remember how good the Discovery HD from D* was.

ram1220 said:
I'm not sure what's going on with your OTA, but the Voom PQ has been poor for the last month or so. Voom went to new encoders that were supposed to improve things but so far all it's done is to cause a degredation in PQ both Sd and HD. I walked into my local Fry's store the other night and they were playing a feed of Discovery HD from D. I forgot how good HD was supposed to look until I saw the picture at Fry's. Voom PQ just sucks right now. It has been well over a month since we have been told "Voom is working on it." BS! I'm sick of it. I'm giving them 1 more month to fix the PQ and if it's not fixed I'm gone. Recently I've had friends ask me if they should sign up with Voom. Right now I will not recommend Voom to them. I've told them I'd let them know if the Voom PQ ever improves. But for now they need to stay away from Voom. D and E don't have enough HD for me to switch to them. If I end up leaving Voom, I'll put my HD television in storage until HD grows up. In the meantime I'll reactivate D on my SD 32" and actually enjoy TV again without having to worry about the PQ all the time. I'm just getting so frustrated with Voom's PQ and I'm about ready to dump HD for now.
What you are seeing is what a lot of us are seeing. Is it going to improve? I seriously doubt it anytime soon.

MichaelG said:
I
Anyway I do notice that even my OTA PQ is different between D* and Voom.
I have a Samsung SIR-TS360 for my receiver and it is using the same Squareshooter antenna that the Voom box is using. Local HD channels are a tad softer and less bright when seen through the Voom box.

It is a little less on my Mits HD RPTV but very noticeable on my Samsung DLP.

I won't hammer you...I agree with you. Also have a Sammy DlP and it does look soft on VOOM. Didn't look that way before. I also hae a SIR 165 and there is a definet difference in Picture. Personally, I have never liked Motorola products. Have a 4DTV connect to a big bud and like the 4DTV but not the fact that Motorola doesn't support it anymore or just minimally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)