So now that voOm looks like its going to survive what does it need to change?

They will get me back as a customer if they add:

1. HD DVR - especially with a lease option
2. ESPN2-HD

In order for them to succeed in the long-term, they need to:

3. Allow self-installs
4. Properly train their installers
5. Get into BB and CC

What I'd love to see:

6. Ability to subscribe to HD channels ONLY

I like the idea of consolidating some of the repetitive or "fishtank" HD channels and replacing them with HD PPV. This would also generate revenue.

I think the most important thing is to flesh out the SD lineup so that VOOM is seen not as an "add on" but as a full service provider which can replace cabe or other dbs services for a typical family.

Training the installers would be a next step. There are obviously good ones out ther but also some very poor ones. Roll out a self-install option for those who are willing and able to do so.

The DVR will be helpful although I am not sure if that will bring huge numbers of new subs.

Regional Sports are exactly that, "regional". Baltimore sports will not get many subs in Kansas. Important yes, but make sure you first have all of the big time national SD feeds first.

Marketing is key. Get out of Sears and get into the big box dealers as well as the high end ones like Tweeter. Rely on your existing subs to spread the word. Take care of those who sign up others, give them a month free service or something for every person the refer.

And of course, maybe most important, do not forget your positioning as THE HD leader. This is what sets VOOM apart and they must stay that way.

Great news to be sure. My install which has been rescheduled many times is now set for Monday. I can not wait. Heck, I have already convinced two friends to sign up and I am not even there yet myself!

I would love to see a receiver with IEEE1394 connectivity. Wasn't this mandated by FCC for the cable providers?

Serial or USB control would be nice too!

A growing number of HTPC users who would prefer to use Sage TV or other PVR software are stuck with 480i S-Vid captures with the current receiver. :(

2guard said:
SPIKE HD
ESPN2 HD
Local FOXSPORTS HD

is spike already braodcastin in HD. it's unlike voom not add that stuff right away. maybe with all the stuff going on they are falling behind, but this is no time to fall asleep at the wheel.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I am totally behind this one!

Broadcast channels are all we miss because we can't get OTA in our location. We will do without until Voom solves it!

(We could go with cable for locals.... But.... yechhh :no )

Have you tried the wineguard 8200. I lieve in North Scottsdale AZ and pick up the Tuscon local hd channels which are 110 miles ways.

kfried001 said:
Have you tried the wineguard 8200. I lieve in North Scottsdale AZ and pick up the Tuscon local hd channels which are 110 miles ways.
Haven't tried the wineguard. I'll have to check into that one. Thanks for the suggestion.

I would vote for these in this order:

National HD feeds (Cannot receive FOX HD and it's killing me)

Regional Sports Nets (FSN North HD is out and I want it!)

HD-DVR. (actually anything with a working, searchable program guide would be nice)

Missing SD's ( G4-TechTV, QVC, HSN, Lifetime)

A way to directly tune to substations (I have 11-1 and 11-2, no way to directly get to 11-2 which any DVR needs).

Voom needs to change...

1. Their marketing strategy. 90% of the population probly don't know voom exists or what they offer.

2. They should change thier name to somthing else, VOOM sounds pretty lame.

Amphicar770 said:
...Great news to be sure. My install which has been rescheduled many times is now set for Monday. I can not wait. Heck, I have already convinced two friends to sign up and I am not even there yet myself!
You boiled things down remarkably well, Amphicar770! My only points of disagreement would be very minor, and very subjective...I LOVED the fishtank...granted, only occasionally, but for me, it was great for purging the mind and soul at the end of a bad day...

I strongly believe that the DVR is very important for many reasons...time-shifting, archiving, commercial skipping, just "back-up-and-see-what happened"...lots of people have had TIVO, and losing that capability would be painful. I've never done anything except VCR, but I want that capability to time-shift, and now that I've seen HD, I want my time-shift in High Def! :) BUT I'm willing to wait...don't want to be "gimme, gimme, gimme, have you got??!!" mentality.

Thanks and congratulations for moving your two friends towards HD bliss...and I sure hope your install went well today!! :D Onesies and twosies...is gonna keep us all in the game! :D @party :D
party01.gif

Put VOOM logos on all the dishes. Get some celebrities involved. Come out with the DVR (that's holding a lot of people back) Produce some new programs for Equator and RUSH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts