So p*ssed with DVR!!!!!!

Shadyrest59

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This thing has not worked correctly since we got it almost three weeks ago!

My first box failed after one day! Second box did the same thing but I decided to try and work with it. Now it has gotten ridiculous!

Yesterday I had to unplug it and replug it twice in two hours and it froze two more times during that same two hour period.

For the rest of the day it would freeze or shut off and reset and Saturday it erased everything i had recorded the week before!

Yesterday watching the ALDS was painful with all of the freezing and shutting off. This is NOT what I paid for. I called Dish because I couldn't take it anymore and I got the American guy and he is sending me a 3rd receiver.

Unbelievable!

I'm tempted to cancel this thing all together since there is no point to having it since it has not been stable. I mean really what's the point?

I'm so frustrated because i got it so my wife wouldn't miss her shows she likes since she is going to school at night.

This is totally defeating the purpose.

Thanks for nothing DISH, your DVR s*cks!

Sincerely,

One very unsatisfied customer.

With three receivers in a row failing from the same problems, you either have a power problem or a signal problem.

If you have a heavy duty extension cord, you can try plugging it in to other outlets that are not on the same circuit as the outlet you are currently using and make sure it is grounded properly. There are outlet testers that could be used.

I would trace your signal path first though and make sure there are no bad connectors, short stingers, and old wire in that path.

What are your signal strength readings on the channels you are watching when it locks up and reboots?

What Satellites are you pointed at? 110/119, and 129 or 61.5?

Are you putting the receiver in a closed cabinet?

These DVRs require good air flow to keep cool. Are you stacking the DVR on top of other heat-producing equipment or perhaps locking it in a sealed cabinet with no air flow around to cool it?

It's in an open cabinet sitting on a glass shelf.

it's open in the front and open in the back.

gets good airflow as far as i know

there is a DVD player on the bottom shelf but we barely use it.

I'm at wits end with this thing.

when I get the "new" receiver, what should I do?

It's in an open cabinet sitting on a glass shelf.

it's open in the front and open in the back.

gets good airflow as far as i know

there is a DVD player on the bottom shelf but we barely use it.

I'm at wits end with this thing.

when I get the "new" receiver, what should I do?
If the new receiver is being shipped, you will need to trace your signal path and check your signal strengths to provide troubleshooting info. If a tech brings it, they need to troubleshoot your signal path and your power source.

it's being mailed to me.

and I don't know how to do any of that stuff. I'm not an EST

Then you are stuck playing the receiver round robin game.

If you get the same problems with this next receiver, tell the TECH SUPPORT not the customer support to send a tech to troubleshoot your signal path and your power source to fix your problem.

Dish has always been more of the DIY kind of person's sat company. My 622 was the first time anyone has ever come to my house and they had nothing to do when they brought that to me.

DIY? Are you serious? Then what do they pay techs for?

So you gotta go to school to be an EST in order to operate this thing?

I'm glad that you can do it yourself, but not everyone is in that position.

Dish has to do a better job at this and stop sending out defective units to people.

Dish has to do a better job at this and stop sending out defective units to people.

It's probably not the receiver - it's your cabling, signal strength, or lnbf on the dish itself. You need a tech and they are not going to send one as long as you keep telling them to send another receiver.

I'm on my 3rd 622 in a month. Tech came out and was convinced it's was my old install. I had a reinstall (moved) ;) and now problem is starting again. My 622 freezes when swapping tuners between sporting events and have to do a reboot. I beginning to think its latest software update or in house electrical. I have a heavy duty extension cord at the location so maybe i'll give that a try.

I'm glad that you can do it yourself, but not everyone is in that position.

I am too - I learned early on that being the hostage to customer service or repair service is a bad place to be and very expensive in time and money for every facet of life. I can do nearly everything I need done myself and it has been well worth the time learning.

Sorry you are stuck in a service loop. I hope you break out soon.

You can test house wiring with UPS (battery backup). If you have one or have access to one, grab the owners manual and plug it in to the suspect outlet. If the wiring is faulty the UPS will blink, show a light you've never noticed or beep - this is where you need the owners manual to interpret the message.

I have a Belkin 375volt surge protector that will not work if the outlet is faulty. It provides 10 minutes of power to a DLP and DVR. Thing was$30 delivered with a $10 rebate. It paid for itself the first day it arrived. Plugged it in to a faulty outlet I did not know was there. Oddly, the outlet just below it is fine.

DVR with UPS is great way to go. You will never lose a recording due to black outs and the DVR will be fed a constant flow of clean power with no voltage spikes or dips. Most work as a surge protector.

DVR with UPS is great way to go. You will never lose a recording due to black outs and the DVR will be fed a constant flow of clean power with no voltage spikes or dips. Most work as a surge protector.

Very true - I have my dvr on one ups and my projector on another. We have been known to continue watching a show even though the power was out in the neighborhood.

Which receiver is it that you are having trouble with? My guess it is a temp problem. I know you said it is on an open cabinet, but is it open to the sides as well? Go into the menus and check the temperatures. Tell us which model and we'll tell you how to get there in the menu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts