So...what are the odds of Voom making a triumphant return?

The answer to the thread title can be found by applying Hendrix's Law of Probability.

Bill Hendrix was my high school calculus teacher. He hated Statistics and claimed that the entire field of Probability and Statistics could be summed up in Hendrix's Law of Probability which states:

"The probability of any event taking place is .5. Either it will or it won't."

I have yet to find a situation in which Hendrix's Law does not apply. :D

Best option bring back the full suite and those that want them pay for them.
What a concept.

Be a leader and add service. Be a looser and reduce service. That's the choice Dish is making.

As the economy dips further and Uverse, Fious, DirecTv and other ramp up Dish cannot afford to let egos drive business decisions.

Then again reason enough for us to already move money out of investments in Echostar and spinoffs. As a sub still hoping for calmer minds to prevail before taking on the hassle of investing in other services

Isn't that what the VOOM lawsuit was about---their refusal to be tiered in any manner other than going to all HD subs?

Last edited:
Best option bring back the full suite and those that want them pay for them.
What a concept.
. . .
At first glance this sounds very reasonable. I for one would not mind paying a little extra to get Voom back. But when I think about it a little while, I come to the conclusion that such an action would not save Voom in the long run. Too few people would subscribe to make Voom viable.

I used to think that having pure a la carte programming would be a good idea. Let every subscriber pick (and pay for) just the channels he/she wants. Lord knows I am stuck paying for BOTH Top 250 and HD Ultimate because of a tiny number of channels I don't want to give up. I am paying for hundreds of channels I never watch. But if Dish and/or DirectTV went that route you know what would happen? Within a year, if not sooner, dozens of channels would go out of business. Many really good channels would disappear forever because they are niche channels with a dedicated but very small subscriber list.

I am also aware that many people would say "So what?---let the market speak". I disagree. I believe there is a benefit to society as a whole in keeping as diverse a set of channels as possible. That is the way Congress felt years ago when they funded PBS. For a variety of reasons, political and otherwise, PBS has not fulfilled its mission and has fallen on really hard times. But this country would have missed out on a lot if it had never existed.

So call me an elitist. I suppose I am. I loved Voom! I HATE monster and horror movies. But I was glad the MonsterHD fans had that channel. I loved the world sports channel's potential, although it showed too narrow a selection of sports. I am one of the few who loved Gallery (as did my entire family). And no movie should ever be edited for content or interrupted by commercials.

All that being said, in a world where money and only money talks, ditching Voom had to be done. I am afraid that the only thing that will save Voom is to make me dictator of the US. I will require Voom to be carried by D*, E*, and every cable service in the country.

At first glance this sounds very reasonable. I for one would not mind paying a little extra to get Voom back. But when I think about it a little while, I come to the conclusion that such an action would not save Voom in the long run. Too few people would subscribe to make Voom viable.

I used to think that having pure a la carte programming would be a good idea. Let every subscriber pick (and pay for) just the channels he/she wants. Lord knows I am stuck paying for BOTH Top 250 and HD Ultimate because of a tiny number of channels I don't want to give up. I am paying for hundreds of channels I never watch. But if Dish and/or DirectTV went that route you know what would happen? Within a year, if not sooner, dozens of channels would go out of business. Many really good channels would disappear forever because they are niche channels with a dedicated but very small subscriber list.

I am also aware that many people would say "So what?---let the market speak". I disagree. I believe there is a benefit to society as a whole in keeping as diverse a set of channels as possible. That is the way Congress felt years ago when they funded PBS. For a variety of reasons, political and otherwise, PBS has not fulfilled its mission and has fallen on really hard times. But this country would have missed out on a lot if it had never existed.

So call me an elitist. I suppose I am. I loved Voom! I HATE monster and horror movies. But I was glad the MonsterHD fans had that channel. I loved the world sports channel's potential, although it showed too narrow a selection of sports. I am one of the few who loved Gallery (as did my entire family). And no movie should ever be edited for content or interrupted by commercials.

All that being said, in a world where money and only money talks, ditching Voom had to be done. I am afraid that the only thing that will save Voom is to make me dictator of the US. I will require Voom to be carried by D*, E*, and every cable service in the country.
yes! what he said! well, well said Denis. (elitist Gallery watcher that I was)

I don't understand why you guys say there was new content, sure, but very little, I watched Monsters all the time until the same movies get repeated over and over again, same with Rave, loved that channel when I first got it, but then the new content was very little, so MOST of the time it was the same shows lived over and over. IOW, yes there was new content, but not alot to make me say I miss the voom channels that much, I was bummed at first, but now realize there wasn't much I was missing, especially when your missing alot of repeats

I was a huge Monsters HD fan and watched all the time.

There was a bad lull where they repeated the same three movies all day (probably started the day they filed their lawsuit).

BUT...

Monsters HD premiered almost every new Horror HD transfer as they became available. For example, The Thing (Remake) is premiering on Blue-Ray, it also premiered on Monsters HD the day after DISH cut them.

Monsters HD couldn't afford to pay for the right to repeat something like "Aliens" over and over, but once in a while they could. Sure they had HD transfers they out right owned like many of the old classics which they could afford to repeat.

New New New HD Horror premiers on HBO or SHOW, but having watched Monsters HD since it was part of the Voom Satellite, Monsters HD premiered many many new HD horror transfers even before HBO or SHOW.

The Thing remake, had we been able to see it, is a perfect example. Is there any other HD Channel premiering the new HD transfer of this movie? NO!

The Omen Trilogy and the Planet of the Apes movies are other examples. Plus I got to see The Wraith! I hadn't seen that since I was a kid. God Bless my DVR, I can watch it whenever I want now.

Last edited:
This channel turned me on to soo many movies I had no idea about, the biggest one for me that I fell in love with was Subspecies, it was much better than I thought.

For me it was Ginger Snaps. I found the DVD's on eBay before I had a DVR. Dish never showed the third installment. Why not? I bought that too and it ended up being my 19 year old daughter's favorite. It was also the most expensive. Ginger Snaps 3.. A New Beginning

The new channels are CRAP. I sit there at 2 am and don't even find any programming worth watching. As others said, at least with Voom there was something you could stop on for a while even if you've seen it before and watch some HD. Now it's all SD in the HD Tier. I've yet to see a HD program on WFN, or Hallmark and like Voom most of the other channels repeat the same programs. I've had Smith, MGM etc for a while with Direct so I've seen all that stuff too.

No one will ever convince me that losing 15 channels of HD was a good move. Even if the channels aren't the greatest, it was 15 more choices that we don't have now.

I agree! I have watched the new channels as well and thus far there is nothing to watch! The quality is weak and nowhere near the Voom ture HD clarity. All I know is that our house has decided to give dish two months then if they do not bring Voom back we are canceling! We have compared prices and dishnetwork is much more expensive for less channels now that they have no more Voom HD. Dish has 80 HD, Directv 90 HD. My current plan with dishnetwork is $127 a month for the everything package, locals, HD, DVR. I called Directv, they provide 300 channels in their everything package versus the 280 on Dish, and the price for their everything package plus HD, & DVR is $56 for the first three months, then $91 a month.

Dishnetwork bring back Voom HD! If not I suggest everyone look and do the math. You should save a lot dumping dish and why keep giving money and endorsing dish's rude behavior of removing Voom? Hurt them at the pocket book and voice your frustration.

To be honest I feel like there is a lot less HD because there is nothing really on the new HD channels. The only ones I have watched is are the HD net movies and we already had them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)