So what ever happened to the new HD channels?

hidef2

Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
I've been away for a few weeks. Last I heard, dish was about to launch new HD national channels. Now not only do I not find any additions, I find no discussions here about what's going on.

Anyone have info on this?

Yes, the hd channels that we heard were coming in July, then October or now on track for what X-mas? This is starting to remind me of health care legislation progression. First it had to be finished by August , then by the end of the year and now maybe January?

Yes, the hd channels that we heard were coming in July, then October or now on track for what X-mas? This is starting to remind me of health care legislation progression. First it had to be finished by August , then by the end of the year and now maybe January?

How about never. Or maybe SOON.

I've been away for a few weeks. Last I heard, dish was about to launch new HD national channels. Now not only do I not find any additions, I find no discussions here about what's going on.

Anyone have info on this?

I understand what you're asking but, honestly, there never were any new HD channels announced. There were rumours, channels uplinked, etc., but AFAIK Dish never announced specific new national HD so the best one can say is that the rumours of imminent HD never materialized. Rumours of eventual new HD probably will, however, as "eventual" can be said to fit almost any time frame.

It depends as there is a lot of factors.

Is a contract for that programming 100% done? It is normal to start testing a channel without having the final contracts in place.

Are the uplinking with new encoders? Sometime channels are just put up so they can test new equipment. None of the encoders used by Dish Network are "off the self" solutions for them. Progress is always being made in the encoders and Dish is always testing the newest equipment.

How is Dish receiving the feed? If its off satellite then it can be quick turnaround, but via fiber then it could take weeks if not months to get it all in place.

Wiring and programming the channels into the system. You just dont take a signal and put it up, there is miles and miles of cable run and setup required for each channel.

All signs are new channels are coming and a bunch more are behind that. The big question is WHEN, and thats one I dont have an answer for.

It depends as there is a lot of factors.

Is a contract for that programming 100% done? It is normal to start testing a channel without having the final contracts in place.

Are the uplinking with new encoders? Sometime channels are just put up so they can test new equipment. None of the encoders used by Dish Network are "off the self" solutions for them. Progress is always being made in the encoders and Dish is always testing the newest equipment.

How is Dish receiving the feed? If its off satellite then it can be quick turnaround, but via fiber then it could take weeks if not months to get it all in place.

Wiring and programming the channels into the system. You just dont take a signal and put it up, there is miles and miles of cable run and setup required for each channel.

All signs are new channels are coming and a bunch more are behind that. The big question is WHEN, and thats one I dont have an answer for.

Thank you Scott!

Thats all stuff I did not know..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)