So what should I get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sassan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Columbus
OK, I was wrong in my thoughts. I thought that overseas, receivers were very expensive, and that the dishes were cheap, but apparently, its the other way around.

My brother is going overseas next month and is able to bring me a FTA receiver. What should I be looking for, or what is the latest and greatest out there? What sticks out or would be on top of everyone's, lets say, "wish list." He is going to be gone for a month, so he will have time to look around and to see what he can find, and let me know....that way, I will be able to post it here and get opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Current favorites are:

1. Coolsat 5000-fastest and all features you need.
2. Fortec Lifetime Classic-most accurate scan, not as fast but all features you need.
3. Pansat 3500s-pretty good all around.

Tracey , I am vey interested in the Coolsat 5000 , but there is so much techno jargon flying around at this site I'm intimidated . I want to be able to experience everything I can , I have learned italian and spanish , majored in chemistry at college ( 1975) and don't think of myself as slow . I want to be able to watch european , science , autralian , music , art , ADULT , etc . but don't want to buy something I can't figure out how to operate . This forum could be helpful and i am eager to learn and purchase . I have enough dough . HELP !
david / aphid

aphid said:
I have learned italian and spanish .

With the languages you mentioned, you have just broadened the amount of channels you will be able to enjoy.

aphid said:
I want to be able to watch european , science , autralian , music , art , ADULT , etc . but don't want to buy something I can't figure out how to operate . This forum could be helpful and i am eager to learn and purchase . I have enough dough . HELP !
david / aphid

As for Adult programming , unless your paying to receive it, there is nothing FTA that I know of, Australian neither, plenty of ART,Music, Science, European if you count Italy , Spain, Portugal, Poland, some others on satellite IA-5.

Sassan said:
My brother is going overseas next month and is able to bring me a FTA receiver. What should I be looking for, or what is the latest and greatest out there? What sticks out or would be on top of everyone's, lets say, "wish list." let me know....that way, I will be able to post it here and get opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Thats a tough one , you might want to search the net for a European FTA sight to see if there is a forum regarding receivers. I doubt you'll find a review on receivers ala satellite guys, but give it a try you never know.

Here in the U.S. there is little in the form of publications on FTA satellite, but one magazine that you might find at a specialized magazine news stand is Tele-Satellite which is published in many languages and distributed in many countries, one edition is in English and I have bought many copies here in Chicago.

Tele-satellite does review receivers in every issue and also has several pages listing 100 or so receivers with detailed info like PAL-NTSC support ( very important ) AC3, hard drives, S cable inputs, Composite inputs, SR symbol rates, and more.

Here is a link for the magazines web site which has some reviews online.
http://www.tele-satellite.com/eng/

Good Luck........ If you decide to get a receiver from overseas, you will most likely be on your own since most members have receivers distributed in U.S. and can help you better with set up, and don't forget NTSC support, without that you won't be able to watch FTA on American TV sets.

jayelem said:
Good Luck........ If you decide to get a receiver from overseas, you will most likely be on your own since most members have receivers distributed in U.S. and can help you better with set up, and don't forget NTSC support, without that you won't be able to watch FTA on American TV sets.

Plus a plug that won't fit in the wall, and some may not work on our 110 volts.

Then there is an owner's manual in a foreign tongue.... oooooppps thats the US model. :haha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)