Got a 1.0 meter dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TiminMb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hooray. Its hard to find suppliers of larger dishes here in Canada. I have been looking for a local supplier for some time. Shipping on a 39" dish is crazy here, with quotes of $120 or more for shipping.

I found a supplier (Jesusisreal) in Orleans, Ontario selling Digiwave 39" dishes on ebay canada for a reasonable price. And, the shipping charge would only be $30.00!! Everyone else said Canada Post would not take a 40" size parcel. Well he said they could, and I checked with Canada Post and he was right. And what made the deal even sweeter was that he didn't overcharge for shipping like others. I got the dish in less than a week and it looks great. The dish measures 90 cm wide by 100 cm tall. It has a very well supported lnb arm, which is reinforced by one strut on each side. The base looks very similar to my Digiwave 33" base, only it has two more struts, which was something I alread added to my existing base. The tubing is a little light, and I know I slightly ovaled the last one when I overtightened the screws mounting the motor to the base tube.

I'll let everyone know how this improves my reception. This site has wonderful sponsors who deserve our business. However, for Canadians, its hard to find someone to ship a 100 cm dish to us, let alone for a cheap shipping fee. If your experience is as good as mine, this guy I bought from is a decent Canadian source for a cheap dish.

Waiting for the roof to dry off some more before I undertake the install. Its supposed to be warmer here this week. Hope it doesn't snow again.

warmer...like maybe -3C :)

I just heard the Peg is suppose to get snow the next couple days (heard it on Power 97)

Well here in Calgary it went from -12 to +10 in about 3 hours today...... hopefully that warm air is coming your way.

Does the dish look exactly like the exploded view on his listing? If so I like it more than my generic dish. Better mount and feedhorn support. I believe mine is the same size reflector but I've managed to crush the mounting pole on it a little bit as the metal is quite thin. Now I think I'm not quite aligned to the arc anymore and may have to make my own more solid mount this summer.

Are the prices for shipping you gave in Canuck dollars?

Good find! It should work fine for you, but, it looks to be a 90cm and not a 1m dish. (guess it depends on how you measure the dish) The gain specs on the DIGIWAVE site shows it has Ku-Band Gain@12.5GHz 40.32dB which is excellent.

The shipping price was $30.70 canadian. It is as per the parts diagram, not the generic photo on his site showing a single arm. I did go up on the roof today, but its slippery. The warm and the sun is melting snow and its running down a downspout onto the low area I put the ladder. I don't mind ladders, its the getting on and off at the top that gets me though. I cleared all the excess snow with a shovel, so there won't be a source to melt next time I'm up. No problem working outside if its -15 or warmer, but it's better not be windy at the same time.

The dish has very large sides edges bent into it, so its a lot stiffer than their 33" dish I already have. I'm hoping the superior lnb mount will be an improvement, as I think the lnb is slightly off centre on my 33 and that causes the dish to be aligned slightly off to the east/west of where you'd think the satellite it.

Hi Tim,
Your setup is almost identical to mine.
I bought a 33" Digiwave, which is really 30" wide by 33" tall ( I wasn't too happy about that since I was trying to improve on my 30" Starchoice).
Signal quality was the same or lower than on the SC until I bought a high gain (65-75 dB) low noise Lnb. Now it is about 10% higher than the SC.
My main complaint about the dish is that it is not galvanized and it was rusting within days, specially at the pivot spots and the inside of the Lnb and main support tubes
Anyway, if it gets too bad on the surface I'll just get a 1m dish next time, but galvanized.

Congrats on the bigger dish. Please let us know what levels of quality you get on G10R 11720.

interesting, when i bought my 1m dish i got it from a canadian mail order outfit because they had better prices than all the american companies and shipping was cheaper than most american companies too!

playyymaster said:
... Please let us know what levels of quality you get on G10R 11720.

On the 33" dish I am not even getting 1% quality for 11720. Its like its not even there for me at present. I don't have high hopes for that TP. I just want the others steady and not chirping and freeze framing when I watch them in the evening.

Thats the point! maybe you want to bend it INTO shape, from behind the dish (When on a satellite) pull both sides of the dish slightly and watch the signal quality rise!

Iceberg said:
warmer...like maybe -3C :)

I just heard the Peg is suppose to get snow the next couple days (heard it on Power 97)

What is snow??????

Iceberg....I am originally from Wpg...been there a few times this winter!

Am heading there for a couple day visit tomorrow and then back to Biloxi....EXTREMES!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I prefer the nice warmth of a Colorado winter...LOL

Last edited:
playyymaster said:
How about the 11800?

11800 I get anywhere from an unviewable 38% up to a solid picture and sound at 45%. These percentages may vary depending on the receiver. Around 40% seems to be the threshold on my Fortec L.U.

Wow what a difference!!!!

11800 on G10R is now in the 60's and 11720 which before was non-existent, is now in the mid to upper 40's. Bigger dish thumbs up!!!

One thing that I forgot to mention is that on my digiwave dish the focal point for the lnb is further back than what the bracket allows for, so I cut a slot where the hole for the bolt is on the bracket and was able to slide it further back and achieved higher quality around 5% more.
You may also want to spend an extra $20 on a high gain Lnb. The one I found says Speedvision on it. Got it on ebay and it gave me an extra 5-10% with a lot less fluctuation.
Let us know how it works

playyymaster said:
One thing that I forgot to mention is that on my digiwave dish the focal point for the lnb is further back than what the bracket allows for, so I cut a slot where the hole for the bolt is on the bracket and was able to slide it further back and achieved higher quality around 5% more.
You may also want to spend an extra $20 on a high gain Lnb. The one I found says Speedvision on it. Got it on ebay and it gave me an extra 5-10% with a lot less fluctuation.
Let us know how it works

"Slide it further back", as in the lnbf further away from the dish and closer to the satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)