So whats the verdict on 1.2m & Cband

Status
Please reply by conversation.

airgator96

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Kansas City BBQ Heaven
Will the 1.2m dish receive C band channels?

I know its pushing it, but I just want to see what tp are the closest thing to a sure bet that you can get with a 1.2 m dish

It good for playing with and learning how stuff works, but not good enough to set it up and expect to watch anything usefull.

With that said it is still a very fun project though, the excitement when you catch C Band using a mini dish is a lot of fun!

A 1.2m dish will give you a perfect picture on some channels, but it would have a C-Band beamwidth of more than 4º meaning signals from adjacent C-Band satellites just 2º away will fall within the antennas main beam!!! Minimum size for C-band is 1.8m or 6'

But IMO its well worth it for the hand full of C-Band channels you will get :)

Ideal world versus the real world.

If you read that article in Tele-Satellite earlier this year about 1.2M + C-band they make it sound like you can pull in just about everything. In fact, they repeat their experiment on a 1M dish and still get results.

I bet that using a dedicated feedhorn (cone-shaped) helps. These integrated units seem to be the worst of both worlds.

The biggest issue is that in North America, we have C-band satellites spaced at 2 degree intervals. The sky is NOT crowded on C-band over Europe and Africa, so it is much easier to use a small dish that is not getting bombarded with signals from multiple satellites other than the primary one you intend to receive.

True, but that particular article was based out of Canada while scanning sats over North America and the Atlantic ocean. They seemed to be using North American equipment (March 2006 issue).

Are you saying you can just throw a cband/ku combo on a winegard 76cm and get cband and ku?!?! I do realize that going bigger is better though with cband, but if it's possible, seems like I may need to order me a cband lnb. Wife doesn't want me putting up the primestar, but we are still holding on to it. If the winegard can pull in some cband in addition, it may be worth it? What would be the trade off in number of channels you can get decently with an invacom quad vs a c/ku band on a small dish?

Not likely, 76cm is a long way off from 120cm.

I would take any article from Tele-Satellite with a grain of salt, because I recall another one of their articles is a T90 test here in North America and they said that the installation went exactly according to plan and as soon as they snapped on LNBs the signals came in as expected.

If I were to try to set up a T90, I'd probably have to take a 6 month leave of absense from my job. ;)

Last edited:
but a primestar would work - eh? I really need to put that p* on an 18" backing and stuff and do some testing someday...

I guess the next question would be would the sg2100 move the 1.2 m... it says it can, but i've seen places where it will wear out the motor fast.

And would you have to mod the lnbf holder?

There's several threads in these forums where folks modded primestars to make em lighter...

Fortec Star has a "150cm KU Band Offset Dish Antenna" on their website, this is 30 cm larger than the 1.2M. Has anyone try this with c-band lnb?

This past weekend I experimented with the dual LNB again.
I got quite a few C-band channels,but at a loss off some KU,for example all PBS stations.
I feel its not worth the sacrefice.It probably works better on a larger dish.
I gave up on it.
Reinhold.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)