Software upgrades

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
My box in my RV only uses Sat 119. Would not work last trip out and tech support said the software was out of date and would only download off Sat 110. Next tech said it would download off Sat 119. Just leave box off for 1 hour. 6 hours later, no new software. 3rd tech "hit the box" since the first two did not. Box worked fine. He said when off it would download software upgrades now. Well, in 3 weeks, it never updated it's software. Do I try for tech #4?? Tech 3 did give great service and said they would send me a new receiver, if needed, by UPS to whatever campground I would be at on a given day. BTW, no tech ever asked if the box was set for automatic downloads (it is) or is it set to "ask for permission" prior to downloads.

It will get updates off of 119. However if it is not there maybe a problem with it.

Usually if a box has been out of the stream for awhile they have to do what you said (hit the box - which is just sending a signal to it). Then if you do a hard reset (pull the plug) it will download the new softward and the correct authorizations. If this doesn't work it may be a problem with your box.

Several hard resets did not help. In about 10 days I will be where I can hook the box up to a full Dish 500 system. They if it upgrades, The first tech would be correct that it has to hit Sat 110 for software downloads.

I really don't think it matters, but if you want to find out now, just swing the dish over to 110 and see if it does anything. It should only take a couple mins to give it a try.

Since this is in a rv, I have to ask. When you turned off your receiver, you did leave power turned on going to it, correct? Just had to make sure you turned it off by the front panel, but left the dish aimed and the receiver plugged into active power. About the best way is to take it in and put it on your system. Dish can't tell the receiver is inside, but there you would have the necessary tools.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, the power was always live to the receiver. Normally, when we get to one place and all is working, I never turn the box off. This time I turned it off every time we left the trailer or was not watching tv. It had dozens of chances to upgrade. Also on at least 3 occasions, it would have had no power for 5 to 6 hours. But after it was "hit" it always came back on with no problem. When I activated the Dish 300 receiver about a year ago, they had to send me a new card and it did about a 1 hour software download. I had several messages on screen while this was going on. It actually upgraded the box to a Dish 500 and I wish it had not. It took me several trys on the first time out to convince it that there was no switch or 2nd LNB.

What 'box' you have ? What current SW version ? What BuildConfig/Bootstrap ID it have ? ( check System Info screen ).

ALL (excluding 118.75W) satellites have _home_ transponder and spooling SW for all type of receivers (only 721/921 require 119W for that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts