Some channels don't show up in guide when viewing Sling from iPhone

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I was HD Theater (ch 364) quite a bit, and can see it when I go to Dishonline.com. However, I noticed last night that it does not show up in the guide. It skips from 290 to 469. Does anyone know why? I also do not know if there is a way to directly tune to a channel from the iPhone app, or I would've tried that.

Any help is appreciated...

Taylor,
On the slingbox you can redo the set up to show the zip code where your service is located. You also have to pick dish network for the city near you over dish USA for locals. You can also select remote on the iphone app, click channel and type in the number you Want to watch. Hope this helps.

Ok. I see the remote now. That is a workaround--thanks. However, does anyone (DIRT folks included) know why these channels do not show up in the guide in the Dish iphone app?

Weird. I just looked again. It wasn't showing even though it said "Guide: Everything" at the top. I did a refresh and the channel showed up. No idea.

David Taylor said:
Weird. I just looked again. It wasn't showing even though it said "Guide: Everything" at the top. I did a refresh and the channel showed up. No idea.

Get used to it. I have had the same problem with the android app with no explanation as to why it happens.

Get used to it. I have had the same problem with the android app with no explanation as to why it happens.

Yep...I also have it all the time....Ive found to hit the HD botton(top right) then go back to everything and it usualy brings it back..Mine is Android also.

Yet another reason this thing is junk compared to the classic slingbox pro hd!
wrong issue sir... GUIDE data has nothing to do with the Sling attachment/device ... this is an issue for content retreived from Sling.Com servers for the specific user. Now when you get into actual video content streamed from the Sling Adapter or any Slingbox ... that's when the "Box itself" becomes an issue.

This same issue happens on the PC side from time to time also.. and sometimes it doesn't go away as easily as the refresh.. sometimes it takes Dish IRT getting the account released from one of the servers so that the data is properly refreshed (channels having access too, etc)

TG2 said:
wrong issue sir... GUIDE data has nothing to do with the Sling attachment/device ... this is an issue for content retreived from Sling.Com servers for the specific user. Now when you get into actual video content streamed from the Sling Adapter or any Slingbox ... that's when the "Box itself" becomes an issue.

This same issue happens on the PC side from time to time also.. and sometimes it doesn't go away as easily as the refresh.. sometimes it takes Dish IRT getting the account released from one of the servers so that the data is properly refreshed (channels having access too, etc)

It is the way this one is implemented as opposed to the hd model. There have never been such issues with the slingplayer application.

It is the way this one is implemented as opposed to the hd model. There have never been such issues with the slingplayer application.
SlingPlayer application from Sling? Or as hobbled by Dish for the SlingAdapter?

A big difference from Sling*BOX* to SlingAdapter ... is that the sling adapter doesn't get an Overlay of the channel/grid. Where the Sling Box .. operating in pass-through mode.. should relay remote ir-strings, to the IR of the dish receiver ... and at that, tell the receiver "output the guide overlay"

If the Sling Adapter worked with the Guide Overlay .. *all* of the "missing channel problems" would disappear since the display on screen would be a real mirror of what you'd get on the TV2 output from the receiver normally.

Web App side - Dish Remote Access / Dish Online

The key in the channels displayed, is that any channels you don't subscribe to, are filtered out at the website level for the WebPlayer App connection.. so here there are these servers (at least 15 user facing ones) that accept user connections.. these servers do auth, stream quality, and channel data for the users that connect (seems more static the assignment of server than randomly dynamic .. I have been on the same server for nearly 2 months dish11.sling.com)

I was on dish6.sling.com initially.. and then one day I logged in.. and my servicing server was now dish1.sling.com ... for other people dish1.sling.com was working fine.. but for me.. I had only *two* tv channels listed in "The Grid". PM to Dish IRT and the next time I logged in, I was on Dish11.sling.com where I have remained.. all of my channels are back ... the exception of 6038 which was Sirius Area 38... and I'm sure a few others were "missing" but not that I'd tell because I don't watch them normally ...

It was that back end data stream that for what ever reason.. corrupted getting me all my channels in "The Grid" ... this appears to be the same way the Android App works, though I admit I've not hammered on it as much as the PC side. The common thread is that the guide is not an overlay as it is when sitting at TV2 ... but a separated app display.

I would also lay odds.. that for SlingBOX users.. the App side of the SlingBox authorized player .. gets its data feed from sling ... and that sling provides a better refresh and sync than does Dish's side of the sling fiasco.

I would also lay odds.. that for SlingBOX users.. the App side of the SlingBox authorized player .. gets its data feed from sling ... and that sling provides a better refresh and sync than does Dish's side of the sling fiasco.

for sure. see post here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/255370-dear-friends-note-about-sling-adapter-26.html#post2544331

do not believe the dish implementation is better than this. hell, before dish bought them, viewing it via the sling website was horrid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)