Some Channels Work - Some Don't

cbob

Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Dacula GA
ViP211z, 1000.4 dish, triple LNB, mobile "RV" setup

I use this setup in an RV and move frequently, probably setting up 26 times per year. The dish is on a PVC 4 legged stand and gets stowed in the belly of the beast between trips. Been doing this for over a decade, so it's a proven setup.

Last summer I discovered I could call DISH, tell them I'm in a new city and they would re-program my local channels. Sweet, even though I rarely watch local channels. When I had them switch it back <<<sometime around that time>>> I discovered certain channels wouldn't work. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE PART OF MY PROBLEM . . . . . actually, I doubt it is, and that it's just "coincidental".

So yesterday I started digging in. DISH was absolutely no help and 4 agents wasted 1.5 hours of my time, but what else is new? The problem is I can view ch 367 but not ch 369 and both are coming from the same 72 satellite. BTW, I don't watch MTV either but several movie channels are out also. Wierd, huh?

The house is on an identical setup. The same receiver works in the house being fed from a different 1000.4 triple LNB dish. The only difference is the coax and the LNB, and I eliminated the coax by connecting straight off the umbilical cord out of the RV's LNB. I even changed ports from 2 to 3 on the LNB, and did a Check Switch (LNB) procedure in Dish's Point Dish menu (Menu, 6-1-1). Signal strength for this test is 39. (In the past I've been able to watch all channels with signal strength in the mid 20's).

It seems odd an LNB would allow some channels to pass through but, from the same satellite, not others. I've exhausted the possibilities. Can a bad LNB do this?

Thanks for advice,
- bob

Yes, but I doubt that's the issue. You were vague about the situation. Are you in a new area? Where were you last with it working? What receiver do you have?

An update . . . .

I bought a new set of LNB's. No change in the problem (some 72 bird channels show lost sat signal).

I finally got the time and weather to play with the setup. I set up the dish again and eliminated the umbilical cable between the LNBs and the cable that goes into the RV. Signal strength was a solid 39 and still have the missing channels (MTV and a few of the MGM movie channels). So I pulled out a ViP211z reciever that mysteriously stopped ouputing the HDMI signal to the TV (composite video + analog still worked) last year and connected directly to the LNBs. Still have the missing channels so it's not a receiver problem. Played with the aiming a bit and (again mysteriously) started picking up those lost channels even though the 72 signal was now down several points (mid 30's). Sat 61.5 was down to 23 signal strength but those channels (all of them? didn't test it) were working fine. I didn't peak the 61.5 bird. I was tired of playing with it.

The only thing I can figure is over the years I may have warped the dish reflector or bent the LNB arm bracket as I've probably set this up a hundred times, but I'm still befuddled that if I can get a solid signal on 72 why ALL the 72 channels don't receive? Very odd.

I'm pretty disgusted with Dish Network (and doubt DirectTV is much better). With all the streaming today satellite programming content is seriously eroded (same B movies on multiple channels, sometimes simultaneously, sometimes months in a row). I'm tempted to dump the dish and seek another source of entertainment. Streaming is out because many times I can't get a decent cell signal. Starlink is out because their coverage is very poor in the SE US, and many times I'm camping without a clear sky.

Can anyone explain why some channels work and some don't from the same 72 satellite with a solid 39 signal?

- bob

It's hard to know for sure from your post, what your wiring configuration is but anything in line such as a splitter can cause issues. Also within each satellite you have transponders and then each transponder has a few channels on it. It is possible to have usable signal on one transponder and unusable signal on another transponder within the same satellite. You really want to be above 35 for reliable service. Normally for eastern arc (72.7 and 61.5) you will be 45-55 on 72 and 55-70 on the 61 depending on location. Also some locals come in only on the western arc (119, 110, 129). Usually if locals are available in HD on eastern arc they will also be available in SD on the western arc. So if traveling a lot a western arc is much much better for compatibility. The western arc generally is easier to get higher signal levels too.

I'd call dish and setup an appointment to come check it out and if the reflector is bent they can replace it for free. May ask them if you can get a western arc lnb too. Some techs will have spares that aren't accounted for in inventory and can give you one. Then you'll have both lnbs and can switch them depending on your location.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is possible to have usable signal on one transponder and unusable signal on another transponder within the same satellite.
Wiring was direct from LNB to receiver. No splitters, no extra connectors. Just RG6.

The receiver was purchased as well as the reflector and LNB setup. I doubt Dish would replace the reflector.

If I'm guessing right, the select non-working channels are on the same transponder and that transponder's transmitter is weaker than the others. I know there's a chart somewhere that lists transponders and channel assignments . . . . but it's not that important. I'll just need to pay more attention to my aiming.

Thanks for the response.

- bob

ViP211z, 1000.4 dish, triple LNB, mobile "RV" setup

I use this setup in an RV and move frequently, probably setting up 26 times per year. The dish is on a PVC 4 legged stand and gets stowed in the belly of the beast between trips. Been doing this for over a decade, so it's a proven setup.

Last summer I discovered I could call DISH, tell them I'm in a new city and they would re-program my local channels. Sweet, even though I rarely watch local channels. When I had them switch it back <<<sometime around that time>>> I discovered certain channels wouldn't work. THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE PART OF MY PROBLEM . . . . . actually, I doubt it is, and that it's just "coincidental".

The house is on an identical setup. The same receiver works in the house being fed from a different 1000.4 triple LNB dish. The only difference is the coax and the LNB
You said the difference is the LNB for the rv and house..are you using the triple LNB for the rv also? The dual LNB is for 1000.2 dish and doesn't work on 1000.4...I would buy a 1000.2 dish setup.Smaller reflector and works well for my rv use

You said the difference is the LNB for the rv and house..are you using the triple LNB for the rv also? The dual LNB is for 1000.2 dish and doesn't work on 1000.4...I would buy a 1000.2 dish setup.Smaller reflector and works well for my rv use
Yup, same setup. Triple LNB for EA on both house and "RV" (keep in mind this is a 4 legged PVC stand that can be set up anywhere). Of course the 3rd LNB for 77 is no longer supported in the US. House receiver has signal strengths in the 50's, the RV dish signal in the 30's. In the house lower numbered transponders are in the 20's with most in the 50's (one at 62). That's a big spread. Same dish 1000.4 part #. House receiver is a 722k.

If we went with a 1000.2 for Western Arc the sats would be too low for long 83 (trees!). Plus the house has zero visibility to the West and would like both setups to be the same for interchangeability.

- bob

Yup, same setup. Triple LNB for EA on both house and "RV" (keep in mind this is a 4 legged PVC stand that can be set up anywhere). Of course the 3rd LNB for 77 is no longer supported in the US. House receiver has signal strengths in the 50's, the RV dish signal in the 30's. In the house lower numbered transponders are in the 20's with most in the 50's (one at 62). That's a big spread. Same dish 1000.4 part #. House receiver is a 722k.

If we went with a 1000.2 for Western Arc the sats would be too low for long 83 (trees!). Plus the house has zero visibility to the West and would like both setups to be the same for interchangeability.

- bob
So you're saying both the house and rv are currently connected? House receives higher signal than tv and lnb has already been replaced? If that's the case the 211 is probably bad. Switch the 722 and 211 with each other and see if the issue follows the 211, if so you need a new one.

So you're saying both the house and rv are currently connected? House receives higher signal than tv and lnb has already been replaced? If that's the case the 211 is probably bad. Switch the 722 and 211 with each other and see if the issue follows the 211, if so you need a new one.
Already did that with the 211 I removed in August (HDMI stopped outputing but composite video still worked).

I'm thinking about swapping with the house reflector for testing but pretty sure I know the result.

- b

SOLUTION: Two outings ago I intentionally re-shaped / warped the reflector in the long (width) direction, making for a sharper focus. Who knew? Gain on 72 went up from high 30's to mid 50's and the "obstructed" 72 channels started coming in like the other 72 channels. 62.5 satellite is better also. In the before vs after I couldn't see the change. I knew the shape was critical, just didn't realize the shape had changed.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe this will help someone else.

- bob