Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Here is someof news I just got from one of my contacts at Dish.

We are launching programming at the 118.7° location on July 6, 2006! To support these installations, effective June 30, 2006, the DISH 500+ and DISH 1000+ antennas will be available in limited quantities through your authorized hardware provider. What’s more, we plan to launch HD local network programming in Detroit and St. Louis on July 6, 2006. This programming will be available from the 118.7° orbital location effective July 6, 2006. This means that instead of requiring the installation of a SuperDISH antenna, these HD Locals as well as certain International programming language groups will require the installation of a DISH 500+ or DISH 1000+ antenna.

· HD Pak is Back for AK, HI, P.R. and U.S. VI – DISH Network’s HD Pak entertainment package is being re-launched in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The programming in this re-launched HD Pak will be viewed from the 110° orbital location – not from the 129° or 61.5° orbital locations (i.e., the location from which our DishHD entertainment packages may be viewed).
o For customers in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands only, we are reintroducing the HD Pak for $9.99/mo., effective July 1, 2006.
o Eligible customers who wish to subscribe to the HD Pak must also subscribe to qualifying programming. Qualifying programming is AT60, AT120, AT180 and AEP. Customers without an active subscription to qualifying programming are not eligible to purchase the HD Pak.
o Please note that an MPEG-4/HD receiver is required to view the HD Pak.
o The HD Pak includes these channels:
- ESPN HD
- Discovery HD Theater
- HDNet
- HDNet Movies
- TNT HD

Ok, so now the old HD channels require an MPEG 4 receiver? I have not been on the boards reading much lately, so when did this change?

Last edited:
Ok So now Dish is broadcasting the National HD stuff on 3 birds! What a waste of transponders. I wonder if those that don't need 129 for locals can ditch using 129 and 61.5? Someone at Dish needs to get their heads out of their butts and come up with a better strategy on badnwidth utilization! They made me get a 61.5 for my local TBS and PBS feeds, not I need 129 for my local HD and who knows what is next, come on Dish how about thinking more than a week in advance!

Scott,

Do we have to call to get the upgrade? I'm in STL and would like to get locals from Sat as well as keeping OTA.

Please advise at your convenience.

Scott,

I am considering upgrading my 942 to a 622. They called last week to offer the $199 upgrade with $200 of rebates & credits. I currently have a Superdish & a Dish 500 to get SD, HD, Voom, and locals.

I am in the New Orleans DMA (Covington, LA ) Will the phasing out of Superdish require it's replacement with a Dish 1000? I keep hearing bad things about signal strength with the 1000.

I had hoped that upgrading would only require a receiver swap since the install of my 942 took them 6 trips to my home, and the final work had to be done by myself.

DISH is letting the quality of the installation force give them a bad name. It has me hesitating to upgrade. I keep reading & hearing horror stories about bad installs. That's all my in-laws talked about on Father's day around the dinner table, and they are just average Joe consumers.

SouthRider: The D1000+ is bigger, so that'll help 129 reception.

DNSC is bad in some areas and worse in others. That's why I always say to find a GOOD local guy, and stick with him.

Finally, at least they're doing something for the fringe states, but they really should mirror the HD over on 148. It's a real b!tch to get 110 from most of Alaska.

John Kotches said:
Scott,

Do we have to call to get the upgrade? I'm in STL and would like to get locals from Sat as well as keeping OTA.

Please advise at your convenience.
Yes you would need to call, you will need the new Plus Dish and also MPEG4 receivers (if you dont already have them)

SatinKzo said:
Ok, so now the old HD channels require an MPEG 4 receiver? I have not been on the boards reading much lately, so when did this change?
This is an excellent point, and one that I also got out of reading Scott's post. Surely we would have heard more of this if it was actually true? Can anyone clarify?

This is required because eventually all the HD channels will be converted to MPEG4. The above from Dish was sent out to dealers who would be installing new customers and they would get MPEG4 equipment anyways.

It is an across the board policy for Dish. They will only activate HD programming on MPEG4 receivers.

You might be able to talk them into activating an older MPEG2 on an account that already has HD. There were reports from people that were able to get an 811 or a second 942 activated on an existing account, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you don't have HD now, the odds are very slim you could get Dish to activate anything other than a 211, 411, or 622. This is regardless of what HD programming you are trying to add.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Here is someof news I just got from one of my contacts at Dish.

HD Pak is Back for AK, HI, P.R. and U.S. VI – DISH Network’s HD Pak entertainment package is being re-launched in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The programming in this re-launched HD Pak will be viewed from the 110° orbital location – not from the 129° or 61.5° orbital locations (i.e., the location from which our DishHD entertainment packages may be viewed).
o For customers in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands only, we are reintroducing the HD Pak for $9.99/mo., effective July 1, 2006.
o Eligible customers who wish to subscribe to the HD Pak must also subscribe to qualifying programming. Qualifying programming is AT60, AT120, AT180 and AEP. Customers without an active subscription to qualifying programming are not eligible to purchase the HD Pak.
o Please note that an MPEG-4/HD receiver is required to view the HD Pak.
o The HD Pak includes these channels:
- ESPN HD
- Discovery HD Theater
- HDNet
- HDNet Movies
- TNT HD

I'm moving to Hawaii so this is of interest. Are those the only HD channels you can get in Hawaii -- no ESPN2, no Voom channels, no HBOHD, no StarzHD?

Also, does anyone know what size dish you'd need to get this HD Pack? I think I might just go back to cable.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes you would need to call, you will need the new Plus Dish and also MPEG4 receivers (if you dont already have them)

I have a pair of 211s for the time being. I'll probably get a third one at some point with the R5000 Mod.

Best,

Does that mean I'm going DARK here, with my 6000 receiver (+61.5)?

I'm getting the "old" HD pack (some Voom, TNT, HDNets, etc.) a la carte for $15. As much as I want all of VOOM plus Univ. HD, etc. I refuse to have to have to jump from $15 to $40 plus lease fee for those few extra channels. But now, if they are going to pull the plug on my receiver, then I guess I'm finally leaving Dish after being one of their first customers. No, I don't need SD. The only way I can get locals in HD is through cable due to mts. - so I don't ned them twice. HD only package WAS a good thing. I would even spring for new receiver IF I could get the new HD only package as ONLY HD.

Last edited:
Wally said:

I'm getting the "old" HD pack (some Voom, TNT, HDNets, etc.) a la carte for $15. As much as I want all of VOOM plus Univ. HD, etc. I refuse to have to have to jump from $15 to $40 plus lease fee for those few extra channels. But now, if they are going to pull the plug on my receiver, then I guess I'm finally leaving Dish after being one of their first customers. No, I don't need SD. The only way I can get locals in HD is through cable due to mts. - so I don't ned them twice. HD only package WAS a good thing. I would even spring for new receiver IF I could get the new HD only package as ONLY HD.

At some point in the future, they will make it attractive to get the hardware you need, but yes, you will have to sub to the BronzeHD, at least, to continue to receive Dish's HD programming.

Wally said:
Not at all (at least at this time) :)

Just for NEW customers if they want HD then they must have a MPEG4 receiver.

So, my question remains -

If I upgrade my 942 to a 622 will they change my Superdish/Dish 500 configuration? (I am in the New Orleans DMA -Covington, LA)

Or will they just swap out the receiver?

Wally,

There are rumors, which have their origins in some statements released by Dish, that the old HD Paks could be withdrawn in 2nd half of 2007, but nothing definite. Historically Dish has been pretty good about allowing people to stay "grandfathered" in old packages.

I just got off the phone with a CSR who informs me that they have no way in the computer system to put in the order to upgrade me from a 1000 to a 1000+. Therefore, I can't get locals via SAT for the moment.

I don't actually need them; OTA works great and is less filling (sorry for the bad joke). Having them on SAT and OTA gives me additional options.

Best,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts