Some new install questions.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sohjen

Original poster
May 9, 2006
Heyas. Directv is scheduled to be installed this Thursday and I have couple of questions regarding installation. This will be my first experience with satellite tv.

I signed up for the 4 room free install but I was wondering how exactly is the normal install. By that I mean do they just run the cable through the outside of the house and just drill through the wall into the home or do they fish it through the wall. If it is for the former do they usually charge for fishing it through the walls and how much do they usually charge.

Also, I opted for a DVR during the order and If I remember correctly it is a dual tuner DVR. I'm assuming that means that two coaxial cables will have to be run to the DVR. Is that included in the installation or will it be extra.

I ordered directly from Directv btw.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Im my case - a brick house - they routed the wire along the outside of the house and then into the rooms. As this was how my cable was wired as well, the DirecTV guy pretty much used the existing holes - although in one room he drilled a new hole for me as the cable outlet was on the opposite side of the room from where I wanted it. While the cables were all on the outside, I must say he did an excellent job of keeping them taught, and as unobtrusive as possible -- much better then the old cable wires were.

The guy did a pole mount and he brought the pole and cement and they were included in the free install. By the way, I also got a four-room free install, but instead of the DVR I got one H20 HDTV receiver and (3) D11 receivers.

http://www.dbsinstall.com/dni/dni_standards_2.htm#400

Installation specifications for standard installations

A)Mount Locations. All mount locations shall be suitable and meet the following requirements:

1)
Not on wood shake roofing, tile roofing or vinyl siding.
2)
Not mounted on metal siding or roofing that is constructed to resemble traditional wood lap roofing or siding. If such location is requested by property owner then owner shall be informed that the installation will deform the material resulting in kinks and bends in the material surrounding the mount.
3)
Not on a wood post if post is not secured at the top to prevent post from twisting or moving during wood drying process or seasonal changes.
4)
Not on a wood post exceeding 8 feet between supports.
5)
Have clear line of site to desired satellite. When ever possible, dish mount shall also be positioned to have clear line of site with as much of the satellite belt as possible.
6)

Accessible to an installer/customer with a ladder no longer then 28’ in extended length and positioned so installer/customer does not need to disembark from the ladder to safely service dish.
7)

Be authorized by property owner.
B)

Wall Mounts. Mounts attached to wood frame walls shall be secured to the wall so to minimize the movement of the mount. When attaching to stud walls covered in standard or manufactured wood siding, all mounts shall be as follows:

1)

Secured to wall stud with two lag screws meeting 300(C1) and four lag screws meeting 300(C1) in the corners of the mount. All lag screws installed through the center holes of the mount shall have a washer installed between the head of the screw and the mount.
2)

Have a pilot hole drilled equal to ½ the diameter of the lag screw for each screw to be inserted into the wall.
3)

Have an appropriate sealant applied to holes on siding before the mount is attached to the wall. A bead of sealant shall be also be applied to the seam between the dish mount and the siding material.
4)

Installed so as to provide a vertical mast for dish installation.
5)

Grounded to comply with NEC
C)

Roof Mounts. Mounts attached to wood frame roofs shall be secured to the roof so as to minimize the movement of the mount. All roof mounts shall be as follows, excluding 400(C-5)

1)

Secured to a roof trust or other support material with two lag screws meeting 300(C1) and four lag screws meeting 300(C1) in the corners of the mount. All lag screws installed through the center holes of the mount shall have a washer installed between the head of the screw and the mount.
2)

Have a pilot hole drilled equal to ½ the diameter of the lag screw for each screw to be inserted into the wall.
3)

Have an appropriate roofing sealant (see 300(F)) applied to holes on roof before the mount is attached to the roof. A bead of appropriate roofing sealant shall be also be applied to the seam between the dish mount and the siding material.
4)

Installed so as to provide a vertical mast for dish installation.
5)

Non-Penetrating roof mounts may be used as described in 400.10(B).
D)

Coax routing. All coax cable shall be routed and secured to following requirements:

1)

Comply with NEC
2)

Installed in such a manner to minimize cable damage from grass trimmers and other landscape maintenance equipment.
3)

Protected from abrasions and cuts where coax may come in contact with sharp or abrasive materials. Typical materials which may cause cuts or abrasions are asphalt roofing, edges of metal roofing, flashing, down spout and conduit straps.
Any material used to protect cable must extend at least two inches on either side of area where damage may occur. The protective material shall be secured to the cable so as to prevent the protective material from sliding or otherwise moving on the cable so as to expose the cable to potential damage.
Coax may be protected from such damaging materials using:
a.

plastic loom cable wrap

b.

plastic or rubber tubing

c.

grommet

d.

conduit

e.

1/8” covering of vinyl tape

f.

Using cable attachment devices to eliminate the cables ability to move around while in contact with the abrasive or sharp material.

4)

Secured to structure in accordance with 300 (B)

5)

Secured every 24 inches

6)

Installed without sharp bends, kinks or extreme twist.

7)

Provide drip loops where:

a.

cable enters or exits holes in building structure.

b.

is attached to ground block.

c.

is attached to diplexer or other passive component.

d.

a splice is present.

E)

Wall penetrations. All wall penetrations shall meet the following requirements

1)

Approved by the homeowner or agent acting on behalf of the homeowner before any holes are drilled.

2)

Located so as to minimize the chance of hitting an existing electrical or other wire preinstalled in building structure. Holes drilled in mobile homes shall be:
a.

not located with 8 inches of the height of existing electrical outlets. Some mobile homes are constructed with the electrical wires wrapping the building at the height of the electrical outlets. Staying away from that elevation on the wall will minimize the chance of hitting an electrical cable.

b.

outfitting with a grommet if the exterior of the mobile home is metal. The grommet shall be sufficient to protect the cable.

3)

Walls penetrations in wood frame construction buildings shall:

a.

not be located directly above or below an existing electrical outlet.

b.

be located as close as possible between wall studs.

c.

be sealed in accordance to 300(F).

4)

Fitted with a wall plate or grommet on all interior cable exit/enter points. Wall plates shall be attached to the wall with appropriate screws.

F)

Floor Penetrations. A hole though the floor for the purpose of installing a cable shall meet the following requirements:

1)

Approved by the homeowner or agent acting on behalf of the homeowner before any holes are drilled.

2)

Not be drilled though a loop type carpet.

3)

Positioned between one and two inches away from the wall.

4)

Positioned so as to not interfere with a zero wall clearaNECabinet, book shelve or other furniture.

G)

IRD installation. The install technician shall connect each DBS IRD as follows:

1)

To one television and VCR (if applicable) using manufactured supplied cables.

2)

To existing telephone jack using manufactured supplied cables.
H) Grounding. All Grounding shall meet the following requirements, NEC and all local codes.
1) All grounding conductors shall be bonded to one of the following NEC approved bonding locations:
Top a. The building or structure grounding electrode system as covered in NEC 250.50.
b. The grounded interior metal water piping systems within 1.52m (5 feet) from its point of entrance to the building, as covered in 250.52.
c. The power service accessible means external to the building, as covered in NEC 250.94.
d. The metallic power service raceway.
e The service equipment enclosure or
f.

The grounding electrode conductor or the grounding electrode conductor metal enclosures; or
If the building or structure served has no grounding means, as described in NEC 810.21(F)(1), to any one of the individual electrodes described in NEC 250.52; or
If the building or structure served has no grounding means as described in 810.21 (F)(1) or (F)(2), to an effectively grounded metal structure or to any one of the individual electrodes described in 250.52.
Top Note: Ground blocks are not an approved bonding location. Connecting a 17 AWG CCS mast ground conductor to a coax ground block, thereby piggy backing the mast ground onto a 10 AWG copper coax ground does not meet NEC requirements. Both the mast ground and coax ground conductor are required to be bonded to an approved NEC ground bonding location.
The "Piggy backing" of ground conductors is discouraged, but is accepted as an industry standard practice and therefore acceptable to meet DNI Standards.

I)

System Test. The install technician shall verify system operation in the following manner:

1)

Test system using IRDs internal diagnostic or system test.

2)

Manually Test signal strength on one odd and one even transponder

3)

Test signal oNECh satellite that system is designed to receive. Only required for multisat dish installations.

4)

Verifying telephone jack is active by conducting receiver phone line test, only if this function was not included in system test

Hmm, so they normally run the cables outside the house then. Thanks Tate for the link. Pretty good info to know. Now just wondering about those who have had D* fish the wires through the wall. Some had said it was done for free, other have said they were charged a certain amount. Looking forward to Thursday :).

sohjen said:
Hmm, so they normally run the cables outside the house then. Thanks Tate for the link. Pretty good info to know. Now just wondering about those who have had D* fish the wires through the wall. Some had said it was done for free, other have said they were charged a certain amount. Looking forward to Thursday :).
wallfish are not free

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)