Some PocketDish Info

I see nothing to make me stop reaching for my Panasonic LA-95 portable DVD player instead (which, thanks to a brick of a battery I installed underneath it, now lasts for 7 hours on a single charge)

Scott Greczkowski said:
You can do it if you hook it up to the standard video outputs (composite video)
If you hook it up to the rca ports, then you can't transfer a movie like they said in about 10min through the usb port correct? you would have to play it and record it on the AV unit. I do that now directly to my pc using DVD Express.

ocnier said:
While I commend Dish for what looks like a promising product, I still must say that they're attitude towards controlling the customer is way overboard in terms of docking station and their controls over what content can be downloaded. Oh well it might change in future.

Exactly. They are really out of touch if they think this kind of control-freak approach will work on mobile consumer electronics' market. Especially when you can get the same or better unit without Dish logo on it and no limitations.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No you will not be able to transfer HD or PPV movies to any model of the Pocket Dish. (Unless you do it through the Docking Station in real time)
That's unbelievable. The 942 is an HD DVR and they are coming out with a device to that allows high speed tansfer of movies from the 942, BUT WAIT, you can't transfer HD content. So PocketDish is a device for an HD receiver which doesn't let you transfer the HD content it records....WOW. What about Smallville, The Agency, Boom town. I travel a lot and was really looking forward to this device. Looks like I will just keep using DVD Express and transfer the HD content to my laptop vi the RCA cables.

I am still going to get this device if it can really transfer an SD movie in 10 min.

I think I will wait until they enable the USB for to backup to a External HD, then I will just burn it to DVD. I know there will be a way...

WOO! HOO! There Ain't (< that Ain't a Word :no ) Nothing Like watching TV on a 4" inch Screen :rolleyes: Hell I can't Stand to watch anything on my 19 inch CPU Montor. I mean to think Someone Is Actually Interested in Wacthing Movies or what Not on a 4 in ch Screen BeHoves me ! :shocked But hey who am I . I'm sure some of them 2.35:1 AR ( Aspect Ratio) WS Movies will look even better on that 4 incher , with those Big ass black bars you should be able to 2" of Movie on there Instead of 4 " ( Like it matters) :smug . Sorry but this is craze , at least by a PSP if this is something you want and that way you be able to do alot More !

By the time you use this device you might as well buy and use a laptop using a built in card or an external one and send the programs to it unless you want a unit that is ultra portable. They make real small laptops but they are more expensive.

Wide-screen LCD without a built-in ATSC tuner? For playing back SD 4:3 content? I don't think so. Maybe, just maybe, I would consider it for "archiving" BattleStar and the other SciFi shows in letterbox, but only of the box does a decent job of zooming the video to match the screen.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for USB 2.0 External HD support on the 942...

Bizzach said:
Anyone know about what price point these will be available at....?

the 100GB archos version is on eBay pretty regular in the mid 700's, feedback seems to be pretty good on them . . .

I own a Archos current model and I can comment on some of the things said or asked.

First of all remember that this little box can play music, i.e. MP3s as well as do movies and photos. It also can play games (Morphun).

And fopr the people critizing it, this is not for watching TV at home. It is for trips or for any time you are waiting. Say you go to the doctors office and wait half and hour,w ell why nto watch part of a movie. The other thing to keep in mind is the Archos units make bookmarks of where you where. So if you watch half of a movie, when you watch it again you pick up from where you were. It is good for subway, bus, planes, waiting for bus, etc. Waiting in line at the DMV, for your mechanic, etc.

Yes you can use iTunes with this. But only for MP3s. iTunes digital rights management (DRM) only works with ipod. As for DRM, that will be set on the Archos most likely. That will prevent you from using it to just copy to a computer. This is the illegal copy worried movie business world we live in.

I hope that answers qeustions for people. I hope people also understand that it is for anyone that wants to watch TV away from home, i.e. vacation, commute, waiting, etc. Also the first Archos unit shown is about the size as a Ipod with hard drive.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, Techie4321. :)

Thanks for your input. I'm one who is very interested in these. Dish Network branded (and extra featured) or not, either way they are pretty appealing.

I was hugely keen on picking one of these up, but that interest has dwindled on two accounts. 1) I got a PSP...therefore I can rip and load DVDs onto its memory card for viewing on the train,plane,dmv,etc. And it plays much better games, and will Wi-Fi web surf, sync with iTunes, etc.--for $250. 2) Despite that, I'd get one, but only for the single feature that they've removed/fail to offer. Download of widescreen HD content from my 942. What else would I really want it for...I'm an HD customer and a movie fan, seriously, otherwise these things are pointless.

Too bad. Maybe the next gen players will do what I think we all imagined/hoped these devices would do, but this round looks like a bust to me.

You are welcome. If you have any queations, just ask. BTW I own a Archos PMA430, which is a PDA, MP3 player, does movies, games, ebook reader, etc.

Oh, regarding the Pocket Dish, some Archos units will encode video directly, others don't. With the built in video recordder you can record the Sat dish output directly. Note, if the output signal has Macrovision then the recording will be protected meaning no copying to the computer and no displaying the output of the Archos on a TV. I.e. view it only on the small screen. But if no Macrovision then you can copy the video to your computer as a Divx file, or view the output on a TV or big screen.

Shane, your PSP probally has a 512Meg or 1 Gig memory card. That means you get one or maybe two movies if you compress more. That doesn't leave room for much if any music. You can do it, but it is tight. These have 20 Gig and up hard drives. That is like ten movies, or eight movies and a lot of music MP3s. Oh and you can put your vacation photos on these too. These should have USB host. Meaning you can hook your camera up to it directly and unload your memory card to it. The PSP is also harder to transfer movies to.

So your PSP wouldn't cover your for a vacation I think, but this would. But any way you are right, this isn't for every body. I think they started with the HD market because they have more money and like gadgets more.

(Please note I haven't seen the final specs on these, but I am very active on a couple of Archos forums and keep up and the latest Archos products and the direction the company is and has taken.)

Techie4321, points well taken. I indeed have 2 1mb cards, can get 2-3 movies on each, with a bit of music (but not much, but I have a dedicated iPod, so no biggie). Locked into 4:3 when playing movies on the cards, but, then again, that's what we'd be stuck with on the Pocket Dish it seems. Just disappointed that you can't dump 16:9 HD downconverts on these things...that's what I'm salivating for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)