Some problems upgrading to HDTV receivers.

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
I've been a customer of Dish Network for a year and a half now and I've been looking heavily into getting a HDTV receiver but there are a lot of restrictions preventing this. I suggested to my mother before we had satalite that we should get satalite as you could get more channels and such. I recommended DirecTV however she didn't want to go with them due to the fact at the time they did not offer local channels. My aunt was very against satalite claiming it was a waiste of money (who is even against digital cable) and is technically not up to date with technology overall. Anyways we ended up going with dish and she just signed up for one of their promotions. We ended up with 3 standard 301/302 receivers or whatever there called and one 322 receiver. We have 5 TV's in the house and theres one thing restricting me, it's the damn 322 receiver. In my computer room I have a 42" Plasma tv (EDTV). I have noticed that picture on that thing watching standard tv with svideo is awful. My eyes hurt. Everything looks blurry/pixelated and colors are horrible. I figured it was just because the fact it was svideo so I tried the component cables, well no change. I know for a fact it's not my set, dvds look awsome on the tv and everything is sharp and vivid colors.

I called DISH and said I wanted to upgrade to a HDTV receiver but they told me I could not because I have too many receivers. I said I want to get rid of one of the 301 receivers and get a HDTV receiver. The problem is they told me if I disconnect one of the cables that goes to the 322 receiver that the other tv would not function because BOTH cables are required. I wanted to see if I could prove them wrong so I took the 301 receiver from my room and hooked my plasma into it while only one cable (my moms tv) went into the 322 and it worked for about 2 weeks and then it was not able to update. I had to put back in the other cable for it to work. Well that's ok I thought because I could always get a HDTV Dual Tuner box, problem is I was not able to get one from DISH because I wasn't a new customer therefore could not do the promotion. Another restriction was they said I had to buy the box from a retailer but retailers here won't sell to 'current customers' only new customers. Online the cheapest I could find was 999 dollars. This was Bullsh!t in my opinion.

I was told after a year I would be applicable to get the receiver. Dish bills were getting high and we could not afford the bill and we had a disconnection and had to pay reactivation fee. Because of this in December I called if I was applicable for a lease on one of there HDTV boxes but they told me no but could not tell me the reason, nice support. I finally got fed up and was looking to change. I pay $86.98 a month for the 180 channels. I wanted to see what DirecTV offered. for 77.95 for the first 3 months and 106.95 dollars a month after that they would be able to offer me 5 receivers (1 being an hdtv receiver) and that would include 125 channels and all movie channels plus the HDTV channel content. For an HDTV box 299.00 dollars. They have the HDTV boxes but there monthly price is higher. The only thing thats killing us on monthly fees is the tax. Sometimes the tax on our invoices is 50 dollars or more it's insane. DirecTV has what I want but they are more expensive and you don't appear to get as much but DISH is pretty much trapping us to the point we can't get a receiver because they keep saying how we're not applicable yet we can't "have any more receivers".

Should I stay with DISH and try to buy a HDTV receiver online? Will I have problems disconnecting one of the cables from the 322? What are your opinions?

You can NOT run ANY of the dual-tuner boxes on a single feed (DPP Separator will drive both tuners - but that's a different story).

I have NEVER heard of $50/month in taxes on a satellite bill. That just can't be.

What am I supposed to do then? I can't cut off feed to my mothers tv yet I can't stand a regular signal to the plasma, I want to put in a HDTV box but then wouldn't I need to replace that 322 receiver as well with a standard 302 box?

You've got it - Except it'd be a 301 or 311 or (horrors) even a 111. Ain't no such thing as a 302.

Per our AIM chat, you're better off moving the 322 elsewhere and replacing a 301 with an 811.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)