Some questions for installers

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
I'm buying a new construction house and will be moving my Dish service over to it. But an install that was fine at this old house isn't going to cut it with the new house. So....

1. Will Dish installers run cable, fish walls and install wall plates? I know that isn't part of a regular install, but I would be willing to pay for the extra service.
2. Would that same installer run a 2nd coax in and down that wall for a later cable internet connection?
3. Along the same lines, how about a run of cat5 to the same spot in case I have to do that because of lack of cable modem availability at this new address?

I notice that Dish now does other installs too. I would be interested in mounting the TV, side speakers and rear speakers if they have that ability. All wire runs inside walls where possible.

My install of Dish would be a single Hopper 3 plus a wireless Joey. If I later decide to add a TV can the AP handle more than one wireless Joey?

Thanks.

It depends on the installer and who they work for.

Any contract installer for Dish, Directv or the cable company is going to do the bare minimum and exactly what it says on the work order.

Also they are not fishing walls unless fishing a wall is easier than wrapping your home with cable.

Contracted installers need to be in and out in the minimum amount of time possible. They do not care about future proofing your install or messing around with your home theatre installation.

What your talking about is a good days worth of work. Call a local dealer and they can give you a fair price to do what your looking to do.

You can even do the work yourself to save money if the walls are still open.

Thanks Claude. I kind of figured that though with Dish now offering other services I had thought possibly they would do it all.

Btw I setup dish installs for years and used dish installers. If it wasn't on the work order they where not doing it.

If the install would take too much time they would make an excuse and not do it.

The dish installers get paid by the hour. Even though dish advertises these additional services, the installers don't want to do it.

That's why it's best to contact a local dealer or with the help of the guys on this board we can help you do it yourself and show you where to get the wire and matterials.

Reactions: navychop
It won't be a do it yourself project. My plan is to have the cable come in at under roof level via conduit and down a wall to come out behind where the TV will be mounted. I'm too damned old and decrepit to be crawling around in the attic or on ladders. :(

The Dish itself will have to be mounted on the SE corner of the roof which is at the rear of the house. That's not a problem, good line of site and all. Run cable from there to the ingress point which will be a conduit. I probably will either get a local Dish dealer to do it, or contract with someone that can provide the cable, conduit and a connection point on the outside of the house. That way Dish only needs to get their line from the Dish to the connection at the ingress point.

With that in mind, what cable, barrels and connectors would be needed?

Oh yeah, and if I get coax, would the same type of coax Dish needs work with cable also?

For internet I'm either going with Mediacom, assuming they get it there in time. They are burying cable now in the subdivision. Or I'll go with Wisp which is pretty good around here though a little more expensive than cable considering speeds offered. The local Wisp provider doesn't have data caps, so that is a plus. Do you happen to know what kind of cable Wisp uses?

You might want to investigate a third party company as you mentioned.. Depending on where you live, I'm sure there a several who specialize in that kind of work Maybe call and ask a Home Theater installation company.

Reactions: DWS44
Is the home built yet? I did it myself in several of my dads previous homes and my sisters home before the sheetrock was applied by the builders crew. In my dad's last house he paid the electrician to do most of it, as this particular builder refused to let me do it and after knee surgery I wasn't up to doing it anyway. I did the wall fish / cable installations for the tv mounts as I could do that without getting into the attic.

If you know an electrician that will do the work on the side that might be a possibility but I would think the best bet would be to contact your local DISH retailer if you have a good one.

The house is completely built so things are a bit more difficult than they would be if I had bought during construction.
I've been researching a bit and it seems that Amazon has some installation services in this area at pretty reasonable prices. So I'll check that out when the time comes as well as checking with a local Dish seller.

Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wisp more than likely used shielded cat5e.

Sometimes I have seen them use coax.

I had 2 different wisp providers at my office. The first was via coax and the last one was cat5e.

You can get most of the cable from either a local retailer or Home Depot type stores.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Much of the newer coax is, but make sure that all the coax installed is 3Gig-swept RG-6, and any barrel connectors are blue. Low quality coax just won't work with the new hybrid LNBs. The advice to hire Dish-qualified installers is spot-on.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Further research and inspection has shown me that the house has a conduit running down the wall the TV will be mounted to. The local WISP provider uses cat5 or 6 and indicated that they are willing to use that conduit after they get into the attic. So the plan will probably be to run 2 RG6 runs and the Cat5/6s down that conduit and leave plenty of coax up there so that the Dish installer can use that cable to connect to the node or whatever. The 2nd RG6 is for a later cable modem installation assuming Mediacom does offer it at some point.

Getting the Dish and internet internal cabling installed is one of the first things to get done as I plan on adding about 10-12" of insulation to the attic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)