Something I cannot figure out!

Tesoro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2013
Southern Oregon
I have a real head scratcher here...:(

I had a hopper and 1000.2 dish set up at my house in southern oregon. Signal on recvr was in 50's which is normal in this area. About 2 mos ago I would start getting signal problems after dark...most channels other than the network spots would lose signal after getting either a 'HD signal loss switching to SD channel' or the opposite ' SD signal loss switching to HD channel'. And then the satellite signal screen would come up and it would start on ie 119 going thru steps 1 to 5, and then it would switch to 129 and then 118 and then X for satellite number and freeze.
The only way I could fix this would be to run a check switch and then all would be back to normal. and then it would happen again after a while.

I then took that same recvr and hooked it up in my rv with a 1000.2 dish on a tripod 60 miles away. Signal was 95% on 119, 70% or so on 110 and 129 with a birddog. The same thing happened at night but in the day it worked as it should.

So I had dish send me a new receiver the other day. I downloaded new software thinking that this would be the fix....but no! it did the same thing losing signal about an hour after dark. And once again I saw it looking at the end for 118.

So I am at a loss and need some advice please!!!

You've ruled out the receiver and antenna. Look for anything else that was common between the two systems. Maybe it's the node since you that would have been common between your home and RV test systems.

I just checked my signal strength on the receiver and it is picking up 129 on 119. But it wasnt the other day when I installed my new hopper and ran check switch.
Maybe I should re-aim my dish? The only thing I did after I dialed in 119 was to adjust the skew past the specified degrees to balance out 129 and 110 as 129 was much stronger than 110...ie 129 was 80 and 110 was 55 so I skewed to get about 5-70 on each. 119 of course stayed the same.
Could this be a prob? but then if so wouldnt it be a prob day and night?

what is a node?

thx

It says status=good in box a
however in box g it only has a red box under 119 and 110, 129 and x are blank

ps: I dont have a multiswitch or node on the rv...it is direct from antenna to the recvr.

Last edited:
It says status=good in box a
however in box g it only has a red box under 119 and 110, 129 and x are blank

ps: I dont have a multiswitch or node on the rv...it is direct from antenna to the recvr.

That could be a problem! Hoppers need a node.

well..i adjusted my skew back to the recommended setting for my lat long and 119 is identified on the recvr signal meter now...all 3 sats come in with good signal on the meter.
hmm have to see what happens tonite. thanks for input.

I ran my old hopper for 2 mos straight this summer in my rv with no node and had no probs??? not doubting you just a statement. thx for help so far

I had the same problem a few weeks ago on EA. The tech. replaced the LNB with a 1000.2 LNB on a 1000.4 dish... problem solved, and my signal strength went up a bit.

Without a node only two of the Hopper's three tuners are functional.

Skew generally doesn't need adjustments from the recommendation unless your mast is not plumb.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

so then I guess that explains why when i do a check switch tuner 3 dosent work and i get an error!!! orginally I had a radio shack dude help me align as I didnt have a meter and I asked and he said thats the way it is supposed to be!! so i didnt give any further thought...

so is there a specific node i am supposed to get? where to get?

Getting to the bottom of this!! when i do a system status check i get good:status but sat signal in box g is only red under 119 and the others are empty...

Just search dish solo node to find one. If you look at the pictures, it's easy to figure out. Two feeds from dish into sat ports 1 and 2. 3ghz rated cable from host port(purple) to the hopper. Any joeys would be connected to the client port(orange).

Duh SA WA! thanks everyone for the pro advice....I am convinced my prob is due to the lack of the solo node as even on the winegard rv antenna site they make a big post note that it is mandatory to install a solo node if using a single hopper system.

The only thing i havent quite figured out is that i have one rg6 coming out of my lnb array and the node requires 2 inputs....for 3 lnb's?? do i have the wrong lnb setup?

The LNB has a built-in switch that puts all three sats on the same cable. On top of that, each cable can support two tuners. Since the Hopper has three tuners, it requires two cables from the LNB to a node. The node will then combine three tuners onto a single cable.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I got it figured out now...thanks.
plus need to put a 75 ohm load on the hopper output if not being hooked up.
What Hopper output? If you meant node client output, true but in your case, will not cause any problem if left unterminated.

yes i meant client output. I just read that a 75ohm terminator required if no hopper is hooked up.

Why would you have a node if you didn't have a Hopper hooked up to it? The Hopper hooks up to the Host side, Joeys hook up to the Client side. I'm sure you meant Joeys instead of Hopper....

Yes sorry no joey so recommended to put the 75ohm plug on its output. For some reason I always get the kangaroo thing mixed up! they should have called the hopper a Jill.

Unlock free on DEMAND movies?

For those of you wanting to upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)