Something I'm confused with regarding On Demand

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Imp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Central New Jersey
Coming from cable, the way some things are done with D* is a bit confusing.
Main example is On Demand. I don't get why there aren't specific channels dedicated to this and we have to connect online to download the programs.

Sorry for the clueless question, but I'm new to this satellite stuff and I'm just trying to understand why this is.

Coming from cable, the way some things are done with D* is a bit confusing.
Main example is On Demand. I don't get why there aren't specific channels dedicated to this and we have to connect online to download the programs.

Sorry for the clueless question, but I'm new to this satellite stuff and I'm just trying to understand why this is.

I can answer part of your question, I don't do alot of DOD, but a little.
As far as dedicated channels goes, most channels are 1000 above the actual channel, for example, channel 244 Sci Fi would be on DOD channel 1244.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jimbo

The primary reason to connect on-line is to save on satellite bandwidth. If you had streams for every VOD channel and ever VOD programming to constantly stream you would need to many satellites to make it worth while. You also would not have a true VOD but a PPV like VOD at that point. Instead of having the programming start when you want you would have to wait until the programming was set to start again. This does not make it VOD.

The other possible way to accomplish it via the satellites is the way Dish is doing it. It records all the programming to your DVR and then you access it on demand when you want to view it. The problem with this method is that you lose the capacity for VOD from your DVR.

As far as dedicated channels goes, most channels are 1000 above the actual channel, for example, channel 244 Sci Fi would be on DOD channel 1244.

Yeah, I saw the list of the On Demand channels online since they don't show up in the guide. Problem is they don't come in unless you are connected online and I'm not sure it's worth $35 to do this and then have to actually download the programs on top of that instead of them being readily available like I'm used to.

Quick question, is Pay Per View like this as well? Do you have to be connected online to take advantage of those channels to, or can you just order it and be done with it?

I assume by $35 you are going to go the wireless adapter method; as hardwired is cheaper; either way; yes, its worth it - and NO, the PPV is SAT distributed.

Don't forget that when the download of the VOD happens, you can normally start watching the program a few seconds later. Of course it all depends on your broadband connection.

Don't forget that when the download of the VOD happens, you can normally start watching the program a few seconds later. Of course it all depends on your broadband connection.

...and the size and type of the program downloaded. HD shows take a little longer, but the wait is worth it. :) The Smithsonian Channel has really upped the ante on the number of HD options available On Demand (not counting the premium channels). Queued up a few HD programs a couple of nights ago and went and made dinner. 15 minutes later, I had 2 1/2 shows in my playlist. So planning ahead by a few minutes is nice. But the DOD will never really be as truly fast as cable's On Demand delivery.

the DOD will never really be as truly fast as cable's On Demand delivery.

its pretty much instant here ...

add to queue ... go to dvr .. start watching ... even the HD stuff downloads faster than i watch it - so there is zero delay right now for me.

I've found myself using this more and move over the past couple of months .... :up

I assume by $35 you are going to go the wireless adapter method; as hardwired is cheaper; either way; yes, its worth it - and NO, the PPV is SAT distributed.

Yeah, I would be going with the wireless adapter if and when I decide to do this. For me to hardwire it would require running a line from downstairs all the way upstairs to my router. To me drilling holes through walls and floors to run a cable is not worth the time and effort.

Good to know on the PPV though. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)