Something To Chew On

old pontiacguy

Original poster
Jun 10, 2024
Kansas
I've been a Dish customer since 1999, and I've installed a few of their satellite dishes. Never have had a contract or had a Dish technician come to the home. Always purchased the equipment from different sources.
About four years ago, I made a thirty-mile trip to an auction. There in the mixed of a lot of junk was several Dish satellite dishes and LNBs. I paid $38.00 for these items:
Two Dish 1000 plus antennas, one Dish 1000.2 antenna, three Dish 500 antennas, two Dish 300 antennas and seven LNBs. Three singles, three DDP Twins, and two DDP triple ones.
Last week I decided to replace my old Dish 1000 plus with one of the 1000.2 with ddplus twin LMB. I couldn't get any signal on Sat. 110. Got 119 in the seventies.
So, I measured the two Dish 1000 plus and the Dish 1000.2. They both are the same size. 25-1/4" horizontal, and 20" vertical. I've read on here that the 1000.2 is smaller than the Dish 1000 plus.. Due to the fact they both are the same size and I'm using a DDPlus Twin on each. Why no signal on the Dish 1000.2?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not to be too obvious, but you do have a skew setting that has to be pretty much dead-on in order to receive the multiple sats together. There's actually no need for a 1000 anymore with the elimination of 129, and the D500 will probably give you better performance for 110/119. Swap to D500 and DPP Twin LNBF.

Oh, wait, you said you put a Twin on a 1000? Will that even fit? That's designed only for the 500. Have to use triple with 1000.2. Again, try a 500.

Not to be too obvious, but you do have a skew setting that has to be pretty much dead-on in order to receive the multiple sats together. There's actually no need for a 1000 anymore with the elimination of 129, and the D500 will probably give you better performance for 110/119. Swap to D500 and DPP Twin LNBF.

Oh, wait, you said you put a Twin on a 1000? Will that even fit? That's designed only for the 500. Have to use triple with 1000.2. Again, try a 500.
Yes, I have a Twin on a 1000. And I get great signal in the seventies. Also, had a D500 with a single LNB that was aimed at Sat 129 and coax to the Twin when Dish was using the 129 to HD programming.
NOTE: I have a tree blocking the signal on the 1000 when the wind is blowing causing the signal to fade and the VIP211K has to get signal again. I have set another pole some fifteen feet west to get line of sight, and not have to remove the tree. I'll try a D500 with one of the DDP twins and see what goes.

Do you have a Dish 500 ? Will you give me the measurements...Vertical and horizontal.

There's two dpp twin lnbs. One for a d500 bracket for 119/110 and one for a 1000.2 bracket for 61.5/72.7. If using the 1000.2 twin lnb its not designed for 119/110 as the spacing is different.

Do you have a Dish 500 ? Will you give me the measurements...Vertical and horizontal.
Think I forgot about the early 1000 that did a 500 Twin with a 300 off to the side. That should have been a DiSH 800 then, right?

For the 500 dish the most important pre-setting is the skew angle, otherwise azimuth & elevation adjustments won't give you both orbital locations once you find signal. Have to find it from a chart based on your latitude. Also check mast for plumb. Then just point it toward the south-southwest, bring up the elevation and swing slowly back & forth (e-w) to signal hunt. Once finding, fine tune the elevation.

There's two dpp twin lnbs. One for a d500 bracket for 119/110 and one for a 1000.2 bracket for 61.5/72.7. If using the 1000.2 twin lnb its not designed for 119/110 as the spacing is different.
I'm well verse in the LNB knowledge on what d500 and the 1000.2 uses. I always thought the d1000 and d1000.2 was different in size . I have both and I have measured them to be the same size. And I'm not sure if the feed arm on both are different lengths. I do know the d1000 has a LNB bracket that is different than the LNB bracket for the d1000.2 reflector.
I spent couple hours yesterday with the d500 and a ddp twin on the new pole setting. I put all the azimuth, elevation, and skew the same as on the pole that has a d500 with a ddp twin that has a tree limb blocking signal when the wind her is over 30 mph. I get good signal in the high sixties and up to mid-seventies on the d500 where the tree come in play. I put the same dish setting on the new pole with a d500 and ddp twin and I get no signal on 119 or 110.
So, not to give up. I installed two ddp single LNBs on the d500 (one to 119 and one to 110) with a coax pigtailed from the 110 port to the 119 in port, and a coax to (in) on the splitter and two coax from the splitter to the two VIP211k receiver. Results!.. good signal on sat 119, and poor on the sat 110, which I will try some adjustments today.

I'm well verse in the LNB knowledge on what d500 and the 1000.2 uses. I always thought the d1000 and d1000.2 was different in size . I have both and I have measured them to be the same size. And I'm not sure if the feed arm on both are different lengths. I do know the d1000 has a LNB bracket that is different than the LNB bracket for the d1000.2 reflector.
I spent couple hours yesterday with the d500 and a ddp twin on the new pole setting. I put all the azimuth, elevation, and skew the same as on the pole that has a d500 with a ddp twin that has a tree limb blocking signal when the wind her is over 30 mph. I get good signal in the high sixties and up to mid-seventies on the d500 where the tree come in play. I put the same dish setting on the new pole with a d500 and ddp twin and I get no signal on 119 or 110.
So, not to give up. I installed two ddp single LNBs on the d500 (one to 119 and one to 110) with a coax pigtailed from the 110 port to the 119 in port, and a coax to (in) on the splitter and two coax from the splitter to the two VIP211k receiver. Results!.. good signal on sat 119, and poor on the sat 110, which I will try some adjustments today.
That's where a skew fine-tuning may come in.

The Dish 1000 was typically used on a 1000.4 Dish and the feed arm is longer and the spacing between the "eyes" was different.
The reason I asked for pics is because there is no way to put a DPP Twin or a DP Single on the bracket for the 1000.2 Feed arm. The brackets aren't exchangeable on any of those dishes. You're trying to put a round peg in square hole.

And please, it's DPP not DDP

The Dish 1000 was typically used on a 1000.4 Dish and the feed arm is longer and the spacing between the "eyes" was different.
The reason I asked for pics is because there is no way to put a DPP Twin or a DP Single on the bracket for the 1000.2 Feed arm. The brackets aren't exchangeable on any of those dishes. You're trying to put a round peg in square hole.

And please, it's DPP not DDP
There are 2 versions of the (DPP) Triple LNBF (it's not itself called a '1000' afaik), both of which fit the newer 1000 dish. Putting the WA (Western Arc) Triple on it makes it a 1000.2 while putting the EA Triple on makes it a 1000.4. There may be specialty adaptors to mount a Twin or Single. The old, early version of the 1000 dish used an adaptor that fitted a DPP Twin and a DP (DiSH Pro, or band-stacked) Single LNBF side-by-side, with the Single connected via a short coax to the provided input port of the DPP Twin beside it. This is where the idea of an input port and switch being built into an LNBF (making it DPP, or DiSH Pro Plus) originated- out of necessity to get an integrated 3-position solution off the ground quickly to add HD channels using existing single & 2-slot hardware format while developing the 1000 with Triple.

Last edited:
There are 2 versions of the (DPP) Triple LNBF (it's not itself called a '1000' afaik), both of which fit the newer 1000 dish. Putting the WA (Western Arc) Triple on it makes it a 1000.2 while putting the EA Triple on makes it a 1000.4. There may be specialty adaptors to mount a Twin or Single. The old, early version of the 1000 dish used an adaptor that fitted a DPP Twin and a DP (DiSH Pro, or band-stacked) Single LNBF side-by-side, with the Single connected via a short coax to the provided input port of the DPP Twin beside it. This is where the idea of an input port and switch being built into an LNBF (making it DPP, or DiSH Pro Plus) originated- out of necessity to get an integrated 3-position solution off the ground quickly to add HD channels using existing single & 2-slot hardware format while developing the 1000 with Triple.
It's not going to work.
Here's what I have tried on the new pole setting with a d500. I have a dpp single LNB with just one port for 110 sat. It is coax (pig-tailed) to another dpp single LNB with two ports for 119 sat. The pig-tail coax is connected to the right port on the LNB. From the 119 LNB is a single coax from the left port going to a three-way splitter. I have two coax that will feed two VIP211K's. Here may be the problem. The right port on the 119 LNB is not an "in" port from the 110 sat LMB. Correct?

The 1000.2 and the 1000.4 are 2 entirely different dishes and a WA and EA were made for each and are not interchangeable.

It's not going to work.
Here's what I have tried on the new pole setting with a d500. I have a dpp single LNB with just one port for 110 sat. It is coax (pig-tailed) to another dpp single LNB with two ports for 119 sat. The pig-tail coax is connected to the right port on the LNB. From the 119 LNB is a single coax from the left port going to a three-way splitter. I have two coax that will feed two VIP211K's. Here may be the problem. The right port on the 119 LNB is not an "in" port from the 110 sat LMB. Correct?
Again, not correct. You have a DP SIngle and DPP Dual. All the ports are outputs. You can't chain them together. Also, splitters do not work. The 722 or any dual-tuner needs a Diplexer inline and a Triplexor at the box for both TV's, 1 and 2 or a direct line to a Separator atr the box and TV 2 connected to the HVN Yellow output at the box.

I HAVE seen 211's work with splitters but they weren't designed to work that way.

Hopper Plus - USB Debgging mode?

Trying to get a straight answer