son used SSN to start service, wont pay, what next?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikedz4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 15, 2004
My son used MY social security number to start directv service. Now he can't pay for the service. I was going to get the verizon triple play with directv but found out I can't because of my son's fraud. Is there somone I can call or email (besides my local police which is a LAST resort) to get this off my credit score so I can get the triple play?

thanks for the help

I'm not quite sure I follow, Does your son have the same name and address?
Or did he just say he was you?
I really don't think you can do much but get the law involved, Because your telling D* it was your son , well how do they know it wasn't you and you just don't want to pay your bill? You have to think of that from their Point of view. I can call up D* and say my son or brother called D* and got service under my name with out my consent. They will say well thats idenity theft so call the police. Untill you can prove that , I'd say not much you can do! I'm not tring to sound mean. But Think about what you would do if you were D* Honestly.

I have to agree with Hemi. Unless you can prove to D* that it was your son and not you, I honestly do not see much you can do. Besides a good beating of course;)

Sorry you are having this trouble though. If I think of anything, I will let ya know:up

My son used MY social security number to start directv service. Now he can't pay for the service. I was going to get the verizon triple play with directv but found out I can't because of my son's fraud. Is there somone I can call or email (besides my local police which is a LAST resort) to get this off my credit score so I can get the triple play?

thanks for the help

Mike,
Who is the adult here? IF your son had your permission to ....as others mentioned...commit fraud , YOU have a problem and you can look to your son for help.

IF he did not have your permission and you do not somehow grind him for the money...at least a note accepting responsibility...you have a few choices.

You can't have it both ways. While DTV is many things they are not a bank or social services organization.

Write checks to get out of this. Speak to your son.

Another dad,

Joe

Yeah, we simply do not have enough info here to give good advice. How old is he? Did yo let him use your SS number to get service and then he could not pay? Did he steal it? Ect..

Yes some more info would be good. But as one said Best confront your son First and Let him know what he did isn't legal. And he needs to make it right and be tought a lessen.

Yes some more info would be good. But as one said Best confront your son First and Let him know what he did isn't legal. And he needs to make it right and be tought a lessen.

I am wondering if it was put in the OPs name also (with his consent) and now the son cant pay. If that is the case, it changes things. NOT saying that is what happened, just need to know more:up

Agree Make your son Pay , THEN BEAT!!!!
4BLC_353848P_Black___White_Hair_Cowhide_Belt.JPG

The first thing the son MUST do is contact DirecTV and have the SSN changed to his own. He does have one, right?

Then he can do as he wishes without affecting the father's credit.

Then the father needs to contact the credit agencies and have the charge removed.

Once, thiis is cleared up then the father should be able to sign up for triple play.

I tried to change it to his ssn and they won't let me. Would they even let him change it to his ssn and get it off my credit or am i stuck using my wife's ssn for triple play?

They aren't going too change anything . Even if your son calls and admits! Why would they? They don't have see through phones. I could call up and say I'm your son and I signed up under your name. Why would they believe that story? You need legal Proof.

Is his name on the account? If so, then he needs to make the change.?
Yea he needs to pay his early termination FEE. and now he's an exsiting customer. The guy with the Matching SSN is the exsiting customer. Meaning the Father. Whats the son going to tell D* to fix it so the father is a New customer? NOTHING! D* has a SSN that matches a name that just had service. As I said ,That could be me on the Phone ,and D* wouldn't have clue. D* knows this.

(besides my local police which is a LAST resort)

I HATE to say this, but it sounds like this should be the FIRST thing you do. The stealing your ssn is one thing, as is getting service with it. the problem is, as far as I can tell, is you are screwed for what you want, and since he qwon't pay, he must not care that you are screwed. Worse yet, if this is on your credit report, will you be looking to get a new credit card, home loan, job, Etc. soon? Good luck! I too probably know very little, just based on what you posted, but now that your credit is screwed up, he doesn't seem to care, and you have a big mess to clean up, NOW seems the perfect time for tough love. Or are we missing something big here? What will he do next?

ok i stole my dad's social so I could get new service. My dad is going to try to get service and find out I already have service in his name. I need to change the account to my social so he can get service. Is there a way to do this short of going down to the local police station and handing myself over to the police?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts