Sony BDP-S5100 review on the way

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Should have player on Tuesday, will be off Thu and Friday so I intend on a lot of testing, will report back at end of week with what I find. I'm buying this more for streaming of Netflix, Amazon and Vudu, but will check out the Blu-ray side of it too with a test disc.

My older Sony BDP-S480 is awesome, so I'll suppose this one should be at least the same. TONS of streaming apps, handles 3D, works with a DLNA server, and even plays stuff directly from a drive.

They have really done well in streaming. The new x100 series has access to Netflix Super HD if you provider supports it and Netflix 3D. Add that to Amazon Prime and Vudu HDX, you have a winning solution for movies.

Here are some generic pics for anyone interested:

31bUTsyOk3L.jpg

51X5C7FKwIL._SL1500_.jpg

And for memory it takes a usb drive, I am going to grab one of these 4GB Cruzer Fit drives for the back port:

71Fxx%2BFdk0L._SL1500_.jpg

The 5100 looks OK, but the 3100 is better looking IMO.

3181gJuqu6L.jpg

What's this about Netflix 3D?

I just ordered an LG passive 3D tv set, because my 6.5 year old Olevia's HDMI port took a dumper. So now I'm scoping out all my options on 3D stuff. Good thing I thought ahead and bought the Sony 3D player a couple years ago, even though I didn't have 3D then, lol. I also have Charter 25/3 internet, and it's pretty fast.

Im not sure, it was news to me. Evidently if your device supports Netflix Super HD content, and your HSI provider has set with their "Open Connection", there are a few 3D titles, with I guess more to come.

Go here and itll tell you about your HSI provider:

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

This player is gonna by my little experiment of whether or not I could go 100% streaming for "new" movies, and not miss optical. I have my doubts, but I always like to give it a shot every year or two. Some of my limits are DSL speeds, I usually cant get but 1-2 bars on HDX, when the 3rd bar is the best.

Looks like Charter (my internet company) isn't part of the Netflix open connect network. So I'm sol for now. I'll try to find out if I can place and official request for it.

I had Charter once. Dad has them now. Worst service ever. I would not expect anything from them ever.

S~

I agree, but my choices here are extremely limited, and Charter is the only real choice.

1: Charter 30Mbps down/4Mbps up (250gb/month download limit, but not strictly enforced) $34.99 month ($54 after 2 year promo expires & if they won't extend it)

2: TdsTelecom dsl = 8-15 Mbps download/768k upload 50gb/month download limit and STRICTLY enforced! $35/mt and must have a $35/mt phone account also.

3: MiSpot 4g LTE (brand new service, just arrived) no speeds guaranteed 40gb/mt download limit $79.99 month + 1 time $375 charge + $150 installation for router and antenna

4: Dialup 56k forget it... can't even check email with this anymore, too slow.

My options suck.

I have a VZW 4G hotspot with great speeds (15 down), but limited bandwidth because of cost. Only other option is ATT 6mbps DSL, which I get about 5.5 down. Mediacom has refused to come on our street so far.

Looks like Charter (my internet company) isn't part of the Netflix open connect network. So I'm sol for now. I'll try to find out if I can place and official request for it.

Ok here's the reply I received from Charter today:

My question: I just wanted to know if there's any chance Charter will eventually join or become part of the "Netflix Open Connect network" so that I'm able to get occasional HD or 3D video from them.

Charters answer: Thank you for your information, I am not aware of us joining Netflix anytime soon in that manner, Not to say that we never would, It would be a cool idea personally speaking, but there are no plans at this time. Good question though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts