Sony Bravia TV's

There's no economies of scale if everyone develops their products from the ground up. Why have four panel operations when you can have one or two? There is still plenty of room to include features and distinctions that separate each company's products from the others. Big American companies (especially the auto makers) have been doing it for years.

The textbook definition of OEM is precisely what you're railing against: a company that manufactures equipment from outsourced components.
hoo boy you got that thumb ready dont ya'?
nope. step back a few years. let's go buy a chevy. raw materials may have been from various industries. after recycling started your 'vette body, fenders, windows glass may very well be made from your empty jack and mad dog 20-20 bottles. the engine, radiator, a/c components made from new (or your recycled pbr cans).
but...everything was made under the various divisions of GM. rochester carbs, delco, delphi, frigidaire, fisher body, moraine glass, harrison....yeah you get it. not like saab for example with bendix and a mish mash of kit parts.
so it looks like the premium you pay for a....staying on the subject...sony tv. the x1 processor. that's what you get. rip-chow-ching screens. mediatek chips. yeah, you get it (even you).

step back a few years. let's go buy a chevy. raw materials may have been from various industries. after recycling started your 'vette body, fenders, windows glass may very well be made from your empty jack and mad dog 20-20 bottles. the engine, radiator, a/c components made from new (or your recycled pbr cans).
but...everything was made under the various divisions of GM. rochester carbs, delco, delphi, frigidaire, fisher body, moraine glass, harrison....yeah you get it. not like saab for example with bendix and a mish mash of kit parts.
You're going way, way back (the late 1960s) to when manufacturing in the US was untouchable (and was still relatively economical).

Kia has been building tiny Fords for quite a while.

Chevy LUV pickups back in the late '70s were pretty much re-badged Isuzus just as Ford Couriers were Mazdas. Half of Chevrolet's current product line (by model as opposed to unit sales) is substantially imported from Korea or China.

Chrysler was tight with Mitsubishi as part of their first bailout up to the point that they slipped into bed with Nissan and Renault.

American Motors came out of the gates by assembling frankenparts (excepting a lot of the Jeep stuff).

An organization like GM or Ford buying out a foreign factory doesn't magically transform it to an American factory nor does it mean that they aren't OEMing parts.

Half of the parts divisions of GM that you named are either dead or have been sold off. Delphi (Aptiv) is particularly unrecognizeable.

You're going way, way back (the late 1960s) to when manufacturing in the US was untouchable (and was still relatively economical).

Kia has been building tiny Fords for quite a while.

Chevy LUV pickups back in the late '70s were pretty much re-badged Isuzus just as Ford Couriers were Mazdas. Half of Chevrolet's current product line (by model as opposed to unit sales) is substantially imported from Korea or China.

Chrysler was tight with Mitsubishi as part of their first bailout up to the point that they slipped into bed with Nissan and Renault.

American Motors came out of the gates by assembling frankenparts (excepting a lot of the Jeep stuff).

An organization like GM or Ford buying out a foreign factory doesn't magically transform it to an American factory nor does it mean that they aren't OEMing parts.

Half of the parts divisions of GM that you named are either dead or have been sold off. Delphi (Aptiv) is particularly unrecognizeable.
what about aerogel?

Not sure why OLED should Scare you ...
Every new technology has the same issues, ya either do as much homework as you can about it and then decide if you want it, or you skip it.

The TV I had and still runs great to this day, last was a 60" Pioneer Elite Plasma .... it was the top of the Plasmas.

I went that route when the Sonys were struggling with not sure what they wanted to do ... it use to be Sony was Tops, they made a few TVs, maybe 3 or 4 and did it right ...
Then a time came say 10-15 years back when they decided they would do better with 7 or 8 TV's out there ... they were lost, the quality was gone and thier Standards dropped, at that time ...

Since then in the last 3-4 years, Sony has gotten back to thier former self.
Thier Quality is back ....

Once again, like with all TVs, you have to look at what series your talking about ... I'm now talking about thier Top line sets ...
In October,2020 I purchased Sony's Bravia XBR55A8H. it matched all of my requirements for OLED TV for price,picture and sound.
I don't play games on my TVs,and Sony's picture and sound is impressive,but I always purchase the Geek Squad extra warranty
to protect my investment.

Reactions: Jimbo
Pretty soon I am in the market for a new TV and tend to stick with the Sonys.

Looking for 4k or 8k LED, no OLED please, since I do alot of Satellite TV DXing sport and news feeds manly to avoid burn in issues.

Looking for at least 55 to 58 inches screen sized plus built in ATSC 3.0 tuner since our local PBS station KNMD-DT rf ch. 8 going on the air in ATSC 3.0 on June 30th. :hungry

Plan to the new TV in late summer or early fall window time frame. :hatsoff

Looking for at least 55 to 58 inches screen sized plus built in ATSC 3.0 tuner since our local PBS station KNMD-DT rf ch. 8 going on the air in ATSC 3.0 on June 30th. :hungry

I'm pretty sure the only Sony TVs with NEXTGEN TV tuners are the X900H and the X90J. The X900H is a good tv and a great value.

It would appear that the X90J is the Google TV version of the X900H that is Android TV.

NEXTGEN TV has been nothing to write home about so far and for whatever reason, the signals have been harder for me to pick up (I had no trouble with the stations when they were DTV).

Follow up questions about 2 different Sonys model on concerning Google or Android mode manly for internet video streamings?

Which model or both can download new apps on store modes, not factory loaded?

Thanks! :hatsoff

Which model or both can download new apps on store modes, not factory loaded?
The TVs appear to be functionally identical as some have loaded the X90J firmware on their X900H. Both Android TV and Google TV can add (and remove) apps from Google Play. I suppose side-loading is possible as well.

Reactions: Jimbo and N5XZS
Just got a 65X90CH, Costco's version of the X900H. Very happy with it. Have been able to find every app I want in the store. One of these days I will take the time to calibrate it.

Pretty soon I am in the market for a new TV and tend to stick with the Sonys.

Looking for 4k or 8k LED, no OLED please, since I do alot of Satellite TV DXing sport and news feeds manly to avoid burn in issues.

Well I hope you reconsider the OLED option,while I am sure the Sony LED TVs would have a beautiful picture,a Sony OLED TV will have
an awesome picture! Yes there is that much difference and Sony OLEDs have Pixel Shift to prevent burn in.
Also Acoustic Wave Sound which is impressive.

Well I hope you reconsider the OLED option,while I am sure the Sony LED TVs would have a beautiful picture,a Sony OLED TV will have
an awesome picture! Yes there is that much difference and Sony OLEDs have Pixel Shift to prevent burn in.
Also Acoustic Wave Sound which is impressive.
Really haven't heard much about burn in on Oleds, unless of course your Trying to burn one in ... its really not that easy.

Another technology you could/should look into is the new Sony QD Oled ....

Sony A95k

I have a 77" Sony A80CJ OLED that I purchased from Costco a month ago. Picture is amazing.
Nice ...
So thats an A80J ....
You'll like that very much !
The C in the model tells you its from Costco and the J means its last years model. Current model is K, but not a big deal.
Enjoy .... :)

Reactions: Phil T

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)