T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
http://psp.ign.com/articles/717/717138p1.html

PSP Ads Draw Global Ire
Politicians and the NAACP condemn Sony Europe's provocative ad campaign.

by David Adams

July 7, 2006 - Behind so much brouhaha is a simple cosmetic change: Sony is introducing a Ceramic White PlayStation Portable in Europe. To let everyone know, Sony Europe unleashed an ad campaign in the Netherlands featuring two female models -- one black, one white -- in various poses. One particular ad, however, shows the white woman gripping the black woman's face in a dominant gesture. "White is coming," reads the copy.

Needless to say, the image quickly ignited protest and accusations of racism on Sony's part -- a controversy which is now raging well outside Europe. A California chapter of the National Assocation for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) has publicly condemned the ad campaign, as has California Assembly Speaker pro Tem Leland Yee.

"I am deeply disappointed in Sony's senseless decision to publish this racially-charged advertisement," said Yee. "I can't begin to determine Sony's motivation but I believe this marketing strategy is unnecessary and is clearly offensive to many in our community."

"The days of blacks being portrayed in minstrel shows are long gone, and with good reason," said Rick Callender, President of San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP. "The minstrel show was an awful chapter in history and this ad smacks of that age and time. It is even further unacceptable that some corporations still think it is ok to use racially charged media images. The latest Sony ad conjures up bad memories of when stereotypical and offensive images of people of color were accepted means of selling a product. Sony should immediately apologize and discontinue these archaic, advertising tactics."

For its part, Sony insists that the marketing campaign, which comprises some 100 images, has no racial connotations but simply emphasizes the contrast between the two PSP colors.

"The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Netherlands focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model," reads an official statement from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. "A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland. All of the images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colors of the PSPs, and have no other message or purpose."

Despite what Sony maintains are benign intentions, it's interesting to note that the company may not run the ads elsewhere. "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK," a Sony spokesperson told GamesIndustry.biz.

For Yee, Sony's explanations do not change the effect of the image.

"Whether in the US or abroad, using differences in skin color to articulate the fact that your video game console now comes in white can be interpreted as insensitive at best and racist at worst," said Yee.

The ever present PI BS in our society!

Everything is racist if you compare whites to blacks and whites are better, however, if you compare them and blacks are better, well that is just the way it is supposed to be.

I think it is time for everyone to learn that WE ARE DIFFERENT, and talking about those differences doesn't mean anyone is racist or sexist. Likewise, having adds that makes one group better than the other, isn't racist or sexist either--it is about a PSP after all, I wouldn't be offended if they had one were the roles were reversed, why should blacks be offended with this one?--! How many ads show women being the smarter sex? I don't see any uproar about those adds, because honestly they are just adds, nothing more!

We need to pick our battles, stop with the race and sex--or even sexual orientation--to divide ourselves up, it is time we started looking at real issues, like cancer, aids, MS, violent crimes, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)