Sony EAC-DD1 Diplexor good?

ajohnson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Riverside, CA
When I originally set up my HDTV, I got the dealer to throw in a couple diplexors so I could put the uhf antenna elsewhere. These diplexors explicitly say they are for satellite on one input and uhf/vhf/catv on the other, however I never got an OTA signal lock when I had them in the system. I resolved that particular set-up long ago, but now have another set that I could use a diplexor on. Should I try and use these or are they a PoS? The documentation (or lack thereof) that came with them has no ghz rating.

The GHz rating is for the satellite side - if you pass a Check Switch OK after installing them, you should be good.

You don't say how you "resolved that particular set-up long ago", so I can't say much other than diplexers do introduce some signal strength loss - maybe these have more loss than whatever else you used? Maybe you should have an antenna amplifier? I'm saying that because if you're on the edge signal strength wise, splitting the signal to 2 sets, is gonna be a problem.

I resolved it by not using the diplexors. I put the antenna on top of my tv and got reasonable signal strength, much to the disgust of my wife. Later I ended up running 2 more RG6 lines to my media center to support my 921, so I put the antenna in the attic and got even better signal.

Now I'm adding some more receivers, one of which will be a 510, and I'm trying to decide exactly how I want to set things up. I'd like to feed more than one tv with the output, but maybe with a switch box so the tv's can watch either what the 510 is showing, or what their own receiver is showing. It's just an idea I'm kicking around. I plan to replace my lnb's and switch with dishpro/dpp44 so I may bring the 921 output back up to my closet distribution center too (that was an option I added when they built my house) and add it into the mix. I'd hate to record something and then not be able to watch it on the tv I want to see it on. I also want to do this without running any more cable, which is where the diplexor idea comes in.

At any rate, the sony diplexor says "DSS" on it, and everything I read about it says it's for Direct TV installs.

You're not going to hurt anything by trying it. Easy test - just put one in-line with a satellite feed using a short jumper. If you lose the even transponders (or they weaken significantly) it's not going to work for you.

Use the Point Dish screen set to transponder 12 and compare before and after values.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)