Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
I just finished browsing the owners guide for the Sony HD-300 and it shockingly appears to be the same my my HTL-HD! I was unable to find any feature that makes this unit unique from the HD-200 or the HTL-HD. Only the bezel was different.

Someone please jump in here and tell me I am wrong!!! (and why)

Did you check the internal coding, firmware/software to find the diffs between the two yet? I would be willing to speculate the base motherboards and proprietary D* chips/code are common to all makes & models. The amount of on-board memory, ergonomics, remote, company coding, software/firmware are were all the changes are. So even if its only 2% diff why are you saying it is a farce?

I Have The HD 200 & From What I've Heard You Can View HD & Analog (Composite & S-Video) At The Same Time On The HD 300 Where You Can't On The HD 200.
I Also Heard That The DVI Output On The HD 300 Works Better.

The HTL-HD and and the Sony 300 are built in the same Korean factory the 300 has a RF remote the HTL only has an IR remote. They should look similar because they are, software could be different.

boba said:
The HTL-HD and and the Sony 300 are built in the same Korean factory the 300 has a RF remote the HTL only has an IR remote. They should look similar because they are, software could be different.
The big difference is the OTA tuner and the aspect modes. The SONY's Tuner is far better than the Hughes. I am a DTV retailer and just sold my display and I now have the hughes box on the same feeds as the Sony. They Sony was much better. Sony had more modes for picture. Like expanded to take the bars that the local stations broadcast and the TV thinks its the picture.

I highly recommend the Sony, if you can still find one. SON HDSAT300

Slacker,

You know my take, the Sony SAT-HD300 is THE best HD box made.

The firmware is different than the LG and the Hughes and in this world firmware means alot (just look at all the Voom Moto problems with crap firmware) I've had mine two months without a single lockup.

I can chnage the aspect on any channel, OTA or otherwise. I'm sure many of the other feature are the same.

The Sony HD300 and Hughes HTL-HD are both made by LG and are basically the same other than the RF remote capability with the Sony. I have seen nothing that would indicate the tuner in the Sony is anything other than the exact same LG tuner that is also in the HTL-HD and LG LSS3200A, despite comments from the DirecTV retailer regarding the far better tuner in the HD300. Aspect modes may be selected differently but again, I believe there is no difference in the Sony and other LG built models. The AVSforum HDTV Hardware Section has a lengthy thread on the three receivers which received the same firmware upgrades at the same time with the same issues. I own the HTL-HD and think it is very good especially if you don't need the RF remote capability.

Chris

The information about the tuner is absolutely wrong.

The Sony HD300, LG3200A, and HTL-HD are all the exact same equipment with very subtle differences. All of them on the inside actually say they are LG 3200A's.

The differences are as follows: The HTL-HD would be considered the base, moving up to the LG3200A you add an RF remote, moving up from there
with the Sony you add a fancier remote with flip lid (inside the flip is a resolution select button which allows you to switch between 480p, 720p, 1080i etc. - however since all the boxes will do the switching automatically this doesn't really have much use).

There are no other differences. Same tuners, same menu, same guide, same everything. All units can change formats (apsect modes or stretch modes) from the remote and all have the same modes. Anyone telling you differently has no idea what they are talking about.

Seawaves said:
Wow, a one post expert!

As the Sony is out of production- what is the point?

The point is the LG built receivers, including the Sony HD300, are still available from retailers and it is in response to a post here and is also accurate. Seems very relevant to me.

Chris

Seawaves said:
Wow, a one post expert!

As the Sony is out of production- what is the point?
It makes no difference how many posts he has made to this forum. Correct information is correct information. And, as Chris points out, the HTL-HD, HD300, and LG models are all still available, so the post is relevant. Certainly no less relevant than your post about how much you love the HD300, is it?

FWIW, I like Sony stuff too. But, they aren't always the best at everything, and they do outsource a lot of their manufacturing nowadays to both China and Korea. No need to be so defensive about a piece of equipment. It's just a thing, not a family member.

wow ... looks like a farce! firmware will not improve OTA ... the HTL-HD is the best OTA tuner I have had yet and it appears the HD-300 is the same! Thanks for all the responses fellas!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)