Sony says PS3 still on track for spring launch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T) on Thursday said it remained on track to roll out its PlayStation 3 game console by spring 2006 despite industry speculation that the scheduled launch could face delays.

The timing of the release of Sony's updated PlayStation console has become a matter of speculation in the $25 billion video game industry and among the studios, hardware makers and other companies looking to handicap the battle over next-generation DVD technology.

A spokesman for Sony, the No. 1 provider of game consoles, said it was still targeting a spring 2006 launch for the PS3, which is key to maintaining its lead in the game console market against Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news), which recently launched its competing Xbox 360 console.

Larry Probst, chief executive of the No. 1 video game publisher Electronic Arts Inc.(Nasdaq:ERTS - news), said last week that he believed Sony's console would not be available until fall 2006.

The PS3 also is central to Sony's push of Blu-ray, its

next-generation DVD technology, against a rival DVD format known as HD DVD, created by a Toshiba Corp-led (6502.T) group.

Billions of dollars are at stake in the DVD format war as movie studios and electronics makers gear up for a technology change they hope will send consumers back to buy new players and discs that will play high-definition pictures.

Failure to reach a unified front has paved the way for a standards war between Blu-ray and HD DVD, reminiscent of the VHS-Betamax clash decades ago, which confused buyers and turned into an expensive loss for many companies.

Many industry insiders have expected that splashy launch of Sony's PS3 console to give Blu-ray an edge and deliver a huge base of players for Hollywood studios looking to sell compatible DVDs.

A spokeswoman for the Blu-ray consortium said the group was still on track for a spring 2006 launch, indicating other manufacturers would be rolling out Blu-ray players at that time. "When Blu-ray launches next spring, there will be both hardware and content," she said.

Rival HD DVD, which is supported by Microsoft and Toshiba, is planning to roll out hardware and software in the spring 2006. Any delay in the launch of PS3 would be seen as a plus for HD DVD.

"The PS3 was touted as being the first high volume Blu-ray player. You want to have an installed base of players if you put out the movies," said Richard Doherty, analyst with Envisioneering, an industry research firm.

Said Mark Knox, a spokesman for the HD DVD camp: "It's not going to be much of a battle until both sides are actually on the field and we have a sneaking suspicion that that won't be for quite a while."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051209...30jtBAF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

If sony said "yeah it'll probably get delayed" it would instantly take the monkey off microsoft's back, so they have to say it's on target. I'm not sure how it could be on target though, blu ray has had it's share of problems in 2005...

BTW, if it DOES make spring, which it probably can't, that's the japanese launch. US launch wouldn't be for a few months so the larry probst dude isn't far off. If they don't launch in japan until fall you'll be lucky to see ps3 in america before christmas...

If they release it now, they might have issues if the BluRay spec is modified any further. Version 1.0 machines are just starting to trickle out now, but any more changes may make them obsolete if they mess with the digital rights protection or a similar critical portion of the spec.

exactly. Last thing sony really needs is more hardware issues...seriously, with the price tag of ps3, i'm really sketchy about buying one in the first year...

I will be buying it simply for the Blu-ray player, and of course the game itself 2nd.

So what, those stores have proven time and time again that no matter how early you pre-order, you get one when they say you get one. After they put themselves and all their friends ahead of you, you could be there on day one of pre-orders and have to wait until the 3rd shipment. It's not exactly on the up-and-up since really, no one governs pre-orders. Frankly I wonder if it's even legal but nobody is willing to speak up against the EB/Gamestops for some reason. Every used game they buy or sell is technically piracy...

The only way to get one at launch anymore is to not go to work and wait in line. Sad to say but it's really true.

I never have gotten a console at launch. I think it's stupid.

I'll wait until it's out a year, save money, and wait for them to get the kinks worked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)