Home Media Magazine | Sony's PS3 at 13M Worldwide

Sony's PS3 at 13M Worldwide [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
Author: CHRIS TRIBBEY
ctribbey@questex.com
Posted: May 15, 2008
[/FONT]
Email this Story to Friend
12758_news_image.jpg
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The next-generation console war took a new turn May 14, with both Microsoft and Sony making noise about sales of their respective consoles.

In a fiscal fourth quarter financial call, Sony announced that 9.24 million PlayStation 3s had been sold worldwide in the fiscal year ended March 31, with another 10 million expected to be sold in this fiscal year. Worldwide, nearly 13 million PS3s have been sold.

“PS3 sales in the first half of the fiscal [year] did not meet our expectations,” said Sam Levenson, SVP of investor relations for Sony. “But after the introduction of the new model and a reduction in the sales price last fall, the expansion of the platform reached the new level in Japan, the U.S. and Europe.”

Not to be outdone, Microsoft issued a press release announcing it had sold more than 10 million Xbox 360s in the United States, the first next-generation gaming system to break that mark here. There have been 19 million 360s sold worldwide.

“This year will be the largest in the history of the video game industry, with Xbox 360 leading the charge in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, SVP of the interactive entertainment business in the entertainment and devices division at Microsoft. “History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.”
[/FONT]

With the later start and lack of software, I dont know if the PS3 will ever catch the 360. Im glad to see 13mil potential BR players out there.

13M vs 19M and the PS3 hasn't been out nearly as long as the 360? Sounds to me like those predictions of the PS3 overtaking the 360 this year or next will likely come true.

Sony says they expect to catch the 360 in 2-3 years.

Joking about saying the 360 is slowing down due to RROD is like saying you hope to live a long life you're not skeptical cause the plague is going around.

Some things have run their course.

The only reason we're seeing this press release is because Microsoft released one for the 360, and they needed their own press out there.

Sony says they expect to catch the 360 in 2-3 years.

Joking about saying the 360 is slowing down due to RROD is like saying you hope to live a long life you're not skeptical cause the plague is going around.

Some things have run their course.

The only reason we're seeing this press release is because Microsoft released one for the 360, and they needed their own press out there.
Yea whatever. Anyway how can you meet this so called demand of 10 more 360 when you have to replace 10 that just froze up. Now do you understand about slow a bit!

Yea whatever. Anyway how can you meet this so called demand of 10 more 360 when you have to replace 10 that just froze up. Now do you understand about slow a bit!

If either of us knew anything about the figures you are trying to argue over this would be a debate worth having.

It's hard to imagine at this point in it's life cycle there not being sufficient production capacity to overcome replacing the units that do fail.

If either of us knew anything about the figures you are trying to argue over this would be a debate worth having.

It's hard to imagine at this point in it's life cycle there not being sufficient production capacity to overcome replacing the units that do fail.
NOT trying to argue!! There was a story not to long ago from M$ about this very problem. I have to go work OT when i get home will try to find it! Just becuase i don't go around and try to bash anything SONY or Blu ray does not mean im arguing against M$

If $ony is willing to take a $3,000,000,000 hit over and over again then maybe the PS3 may catch up with the Xbox. I knew they were hiding big losses but 3 billion with a B. WOW! Where are the ususal suspects that dumped on Toshiba for losing so much money. I see can dish it out but can't take it. Credibility???

Did you seriously just bring this post back from the dead? What a joke.
The joke is now that Sony has finally admitted it has lost money everyone is silent. Where’s the credibility in that after all the trash talk thrown at Toshiba for losing far less then 3 billion? I thought I was on your ignore list????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)