Sophisticated malware finally discovered after 7 years, likely created by a nation-state

How do they know it's seven years old? And how do they know who is infected, worldwide?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

with a set of tools that include a ... and possibly even mobile operating systems like Android and iOS
Android didn't exist seven years ago... Maybe it was originally developed seven years ago, but they must be adapting it over time.

Of course Kasperky's primary goal in announcing this is to sell product. I get something from them every month or so and it is all about the new threats that we MAY face in the future.

As if they were all over the threats from years ago...

Of course Kasperky's primary goal in announcing this is to sell product. I get something from them every month or so and it is all about the new threats that we MAY face in the future.

As if they were all over the threats from years ago...

I'd have to agree, I got up to page 24 of the PDF and got convinced. Skimmed thru the rest and didn't see anything to bolster their claims of ''infecting multiple OS's''.

I am sure there is a lot of very specialized malware out there that is used by nations to spy. It is probably carefully crafted not to get out onto the internet where Kaspersky and other AV makers could see it. It is built to perhaps only infect certain internet address ranges, types of computers, not spread unless commanded to do so. Keeping exploits as secret as possible is a major goal. I can easily see years going by before they are detected. Then one could look through backup and get an idea as to how far back the infection goes.

Stuxnet was designed that way, as I recall. It was meant to spread across local networks, but not over the internet. It was kinda fascinating reading how it worked and how specific it was in what it was designed to do. It also had to have help from people in non-government industries with the way it manipulated pumps, valves, and other controls in Iran's nuclear facilities.

Who has backups going back 7 years? Or the equipment to read such elderly media?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)