"Sorry, we have no HD"

KimmiKat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 11, 2005
At a computer.
Well, being tired of Direct's crap, I thought give Dish a try. Well, the installers came out and told me what was being installed. When they said four standard def boxes, I told them that was wrong. There should've been a 622, 211 and 1 std def box.

The guy said their company (local install company in our area) does not handle HD set up and it would something I would have to arrange myself. So I simply told them to cancel the order and I'll go with another provider. The installer appoligised and said he goes through that all the time and wish Dish would either train them to handle HD or tell the prospective customer that it can't be done in their area.

Well, I may stick with Direct for a few more months as the local Telco is intalling "FIOS" in our area and have a summer 2007 launch date.

Not a whole lotta difference in installing SD & HD. Maybe they don't like aiming at 129.

Good luck with Fios. They really need to come up with a decent DVR.

Last edited:
Why can't your local company do HD installs ? Why is an HD install any different that a regular install ?

That's what I thought. I guess Charlie didn't want my $$. A neighbour has an Dish HD setup, but he bought his own boxes and installed the dish himself.

Now I remember a recent thread about Costco's 622 rebate thing where I commented about a little sign saying HD wasn't available. I didn't realise that would apply if calling Dish directly. But I'm sure there's a local installer that does do HD stuff.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77646&page=3

I would just call back Dish and tell them what the local installer told you. There is no difference installing for HD or SD, except that you'll need to look at a third bird (129 or 61.5) and the type of receiver. Sounds like a lazy installer to me.

I think it's the install company, probably same one Costco uses. As mentioned in another thread, I remember a small sign on the E* Kiosk saying "Standard defination installs only, HD not available."

I really don't understand what is so hard about installing HD. I called customer service to get the DVR upgrade fee refunded to my card and the hassle they gave me kind of left a bad taste in my mouth for Dish. Some had good experience, others have bad.

I would just call back Dish and tell them what the local installer told you. There is no difference installing for HD or SD, except that you'll need to look at a third bird (129 or 61.5) and the type of receiver. Sounds like a lazy installer to me.

I will PM you E-mail to try let them know what happen and also in your E-mail explain to them what your want. Also in your E-mail you might ask what kind of specials they are running. Let me know how it goes.

Well, being tired of Direct's crap, I thought give Dish a try. Well, the installers came out and told me what was being installed. When they said four standard def boxes, I told them that was wrong. There should've been a 622, 211 and 1 std def box.

The guy said their company (local install company in our area) does not handle HD set up and it would something I would have to arrange myself. So I simply told them to cancel the order and I'll go with another provider. The installer appoligised and said he goes through that all the time and wish Dish would either train them to handle HD or tell the prospective customer that it can't be done in their area.

Well, I may stick with Direct for a few more months as the local Telco is intalling "FIOS" in our area and have a summer 2007 launch date.

In last week's paper Verizon said they were raising rates on FIOSTV. And yet, it's not in ANY metropolitan area

Thanks for the PM. I'll contact them.

I contacted the install company and got a supervisor. It wasn't lazy installers, but the install company is having issues with Dish regarding HD installs, maybe they're getting screwed by dish or something. He didn't explain, but he gave me a # for another install outfit that DOES HD. I chatted with my neighbour and he offer to help me install if I get the boxes.

I will PM you E-mail to try let them know what happen and also in your E-mail explain to them what your want. Also in your E-mail you might ask what kind of specials they are running. Let me know how it goes.

The only reason i can see is that some customers do not know how to use their HD TV's and exspects all installers to know everything about every TV's setup menu's. I have had customers complain about PQ on their TVS and refuses to believe that not all the programming they get is HD.

I think that's true. I don't know how many family members ask me to check their TVs. A sister in law got a HDTV and got a SD box for it and saying it's all HD. I tell them otherwise and they don't believe it until they came to my house one day and saw HBO in HD.

I like what they did at Costco, by putting signs up on the demo TVs that to get HD, you need an true HD source.

The only reason i can see is that some customers do not know how to use their HD TV's and exspects all installers to know everything about every TV's setup menu's. I have had customers complain about PQ on their TVS and refuses to believe that not all the programming they get is HD.

In last week's paper Verizon said they were raising rates on FIOSTV. And yet, it's not in ANY metropolitan area

It all started in the DFW metro area; that about as metropolitan as it gets; and take a look at the FiOS map, there are plenty of metro areas with service. BUT yes, it does seem they are cherry picking a bit, it could also have some to do with ease of licensing at the municipality level. Here is a decent FiOS service map. Zoom in to see actual zips. http://www.dslreports.com/gmaps/fios

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts