Sound drops out when switching from DD channel to Stereo (HD to SD)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

0db

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
I know there is a long list of audio problems, but I haven't seen this specific problem.

My HD-DVR is connected to my TV via HDMi and to my Marantz receiver via optical. I've had this setup since last August and it worked fine, throughout the HD channel upgrades etc. About a month (maybe even 6-8 weeks ago) I started having this problem.

Any HD station will work right away when I start the system up. If I watch HD material, everything stays fine (occasional desync but whatever). But if I switch to an SD channel or view a recorded SD program, I lose sound from my receiver. The source indicator switches from 5.1 to 2.0, but there's no sound. If I restart my receiver or switch inputs and switch back, it will start working again.

This problem happened with my HR20-700 and with the new black unit they brought to replace it for another problem, so I don't think it's bad hardware on the D* side.

If I change my HD DVR settings to only use stereo output, I have no problems, but I also have no surround sound on my HD material, so I don't consider this an acceptable fix.

I'm assuming that at some point a D* software "upgrade" changed the way it handles the DD-stereo transition and unless this is a problem everyone else is having, then it seems that my marantz receiver does not follow the transition anymore. I suppose there's a possibility that the receiver's optical input / decoder / something else has gone bad, but that seems like an unlikely hardware failure. I've done all the obvious stuff like making sure the optical cable is well seated on both devices and trying a different cable in case somehow the cable or ends were messed up.

I'm looking to buy a new AVR anyway that will handle HDMI audio and switching... can I hope that this will solve my problem or is my wife going to be really pissed when the new Denon 3808 has the exact same problem?

OK, if I've got 20 views and nobody's even seen the same problem, I think it's safe to say that this is a problem with my Marantz simply "losing touch" with the HR20 when it changes formats, and I suspect another AVR would not have this problem.

Neither I, nor any of the other 20 or so friends any family, have this issue or the "long list of audio problems".... ?

ODD

I do! Same exact problem. If I turn DD off its fine. I have 4 friends with this issue as well. How about when you turn your receiver off for the night,and turn it back on in the morning ,Does it take like 2-5 minutes before the receiver will respond to commands?

I do! Same exact problem. If I turn DD off its fine. I have 4 friends with this issue as well. How about when you turn your receiver off for the night,and turn it back on in the morning ,Does it take like 2-5 minutes before the receiver will respond to commands?

I too am having this issue. It started two firmware updates ago. I have to turn my TV off and then on again to fix the problem. I don't use a receiver just staright HDMI. My TV accepts a Dolby Digital signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)