sound level difference between SAT and OTA (VIP 622)

luvjava

Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
I noticed that after the software update (4.03) on my VIP622, that there is a drastic difference between the sound level when I switch between OTA and Sat. channels

My TV (37" Philips LCD) can balance the levels between it's different inputs (composite, component, HDMI) but that isn't the issue, because this only effects the HDMI input.

I have to turn the volume up pretty high for OTA and if I channel surf away from a OTA channel , I either turn it down first, or risk the hearing of small pets and children.

Any ideas??

Bill

Common problem, not related to the software... even varies from OTA channel to channel, in LA CBS is LOUD and NBC not so much, then commercials come up BOOM. I hate it i'm constantly having to raise and lower the volume (especially with the surround sound system)

The problem is not the receiver. Hear in DFW the CBS station is way louder, the NBC station is way softer and the rest are somewhere in between. On 5.1 surround programs the average sound level is usually lower to allow for more dynamic range. On commercials all of the sound including the dialog is pushed as high as possible to get your attention. This makes the announcer on a commercial sound as loud as a building blowing up on 24. This is done intentionally and the only thing you can do about it is to skip over commercials with a DVR and have a specific volume setting for each channel. When I change from NBC to CBS I always lower the volume by about 7 db on the surround receiver.

Agreed...... I hate going from a 5.1 Digital to any other program not in 5.1 Digital...... the sound level is drastically different... very annoying ..especially at night when others are already sleeping!

guys,

Let me make this a little clearer.....

When my 622 was updated. the volume level of ALL of my OTA stations dropped.
I dont think the engineering departments of all of the local stations decided to reduce there levels at the exact same date and time.

it's not scientifice bacause I havent used a db meter, but on the volume scale on my TV, the standard setting for normal listening WAS 25 to 30 across all stations.
After the update , my OTA stations have to be adjusted up to 50 and then I have to back it down when I change to SAT

Bill

Sound levels can vary from station to station. I remember this was a problem between two of my local stations back in the 1970s.

The one difference that is a constant is that a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio stream average volume level will be about 6 dB lower than a Stereo or DD 2.0 audio stream. It has nothing to do with you having a 622 or 942 or even a 510.

The reason for this is that DD5.1 audio has a wider dynamic range. The difference between the average sound level and the peaks is greater under 5.1 than from a stereo source.

So this difference is a "feature" not a "problem" as far as the industry is concerned.

That's the standard response.

It is certainly possible that Dish has a bug in 4.03 that results in mishandling OTA audio. So this would be a special case. I haven't noticed this problem with my 622 w/4.03 in my light use of OTA. I haven't adjusted the volume levels any differently than before.

The root problem is they are too lazy to adjust the volume levels at the uplink so that they are all approximately at the same level.

Even if they did adjust the levels at the uplink, the 6 db or so difference between DD5.1 vs Stereo would still exist.

While it would be a bear to equalize all of those channels (with the exception noted above), it would be a nice service for E* to provide.

The volume levels through my ViP211 and the OTA of my set used to be close to the same until I swapped out component video/standard audio for HDMI.

Now the DISH receiver is much louder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)