Sound problem

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
My hearing is less than perfect, especially midrange where most dialogue happens.
My 50" TV has rear facing speakers, which work pretty well when I stand behind the TV.
Most of the time I prefer to be in front of the TV so I can actually see the screen.

What is the best solution to improve my chances of understanding the dialogue while keeping costs to a minimum?

This TV is ceiling mounted over the foot of my bed in the bedroom with a large mirrored closet a few feet behind it.

Reactions: navychop
My hearing is less than perfect, especially midrange where most dialogue happens.
My 50" TV has rear facing speakers, which work pretty well when I stand behind the TV.
Most of the time I prefer to be in front of the TV so I can actually see the screen.

What is the best solution to improve my chances of understanding the dialogue while keeping costs to a minimum?

This TV is ceiling mounted over the foot of my bed in the bedroom with a large mirrored closet a few feet behind it.
I suppose you could add a sound bar. Does your TV have any external sound ports, like optical?

Stand behind the TV and use a couple of mirrors so you can watch the picture reflected in the second mirror.

I agree that a sound bar is the easiest solution. However, because sound bar speakers are so small, many of the inexpensive sound bars do not have clear sounding dialog. Even some of the more expensive ones do not have clear dialog. (The key to clear dialog is to have good open air treble response). Read the reviews for any sound bar that you are considering to see if it one of the bars with clear dialog, and make sure you can return it if you are not satisfied.

I agree that a sound bar is the easiest solution. However, because sound bar speakers are so small, many of the inexpensive sound bars do not have clear sounding dialog. Even some of the more expensive ones do not have clear dialog. (The key to clear dialog is to have good open air treble response). Read the reviews for any sound bar that you are considering to see if it one of the bars with clear dialog, and make sure you can return it if you are not satisfied.

The Polk Audio Systems are pretty nice. I wouldnt rank them with a high-end system but they’re definitely better than something you’re going to pay a moderate amount for at places like Walmart or even Best Buy, depending on what you’re looking at. The good thing is that now that the rear satellite speakers are finally out, you can call dish and get the whole system, sound bar, wireless sub woofer and rear speakers I think for 459. Or just the sound bar for 200 bucks and I think it’s worth it. I have just the Polk sound bar on my bedroom TV and I think it sounds fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)