South east snow storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Wow did we get hit good, three hours into the storm and we started loosing power intermitantly and its still happening now. Our county is the hardest hit with 40k without power, tree's started snapping and branches and whole tree's have been coming down since around 1pm yesterday. Entire county school systems are shut down as well as goverment offices and many businesses and along with the UGA. Down the street from us two tree's are blocking the road and have damaged a house while a side street had a tree come down and hit an escalade ( Im still wondering how it is that someone who lives in my neighborhood can afford that kind of luxury vehicle ).

Our total is 5 - 6 inches of snow which isnt alot for many of you but this was snow that was very wet and heavy and the tree's down here are not used to yearly snow fall and as a result started snapping under two inches of the heavy weight.

Here in Connecticut we got about 10 inches of snow so far and its coming down heavy. It is expected that we will have 6 - 8 more inches before its all done.

Stay safe guys, hopefully its not as moisture heavy for you as it was for us, the Fox station in Atlanta sent their news guy up here to Athens and they showed the main road coming in (316) and then showed a shopping center parking lot and the contrast is significant.

Btw Scott, I'll be renewing after I get moved to VA, look out Vurbano here I come! :D

I was watching the Cleveland Cavs @ Atlanta Hawks game last night and was surprised to see all the snow that "Hotlanta" was getting. For one of the few times, the snow actually avoided Cleveland. I'm happy to say, we got NO snow! But that's not to say, it still isn't cold as all hell here. The expected high is 19°F today. :(

Sounds like you guys are really getting hammered down there, we got an inch or two of snow overnight and the weatherman says 6 hrs or more of freezing rain today along with those dreaded high winds, that means power will probably be out. My job requires I drive a lot during my shift and I'm not looking forward to going in today. Keep safe everyone!:)

Went out twice this morning, first to get the van out of the yard ( put it there so it wasnt sitting underneath an old pecan tree ) which took a while because the snow froze lastnight when the temps dipped and then the ground is still soft and mushy from two days of heavy rainfall. Second time was to go to the payphone to report yet another power outage.

So far there is a tree branch as thick as the diameter of a basketball thats splintered badly and laying across the top of the street, at the far end two tree's are down across the road and throughout my neighborhood theres arm diameter or larger branches down on the streets and in yards and on houses. I found our power problem to be a small branch wrapped up in the wires at a transformer on a cross street and was lucky enough come across a Georgia power lineman on the main road.

Out on the main road theres only one gas station open and the majority of businesses are closed but the walmart super center is open albeit with a skeleton staff but atleast people who can get out to get food will be able to along with other necesities.

Well define real snowfall, in Michigan what we got would count as a normal snowfall for the state now that the totals have come in for my area of 8 inches. Now if your talking about a foot then all you have to do is go back to the news archives for 93 when a storm system tracked the same exact way from begining to end and dumped a foot plus in Atlanta. That shut down the city for a few days and caused atleast one sinkhole. The region just doesnt get snow like this on a regular basis, at most there may be a dusting every other winter but thats about it while cold temps at or below freezing are more common.

If we had gotten snow like we did back on new years eve 98 where Detroit got hit with 2 - 3 feet of and the city was shut down for nearly a week which resulted in Archer resigning a few weeks later then Georgia would be looking at 1 - 7 million without power, the national guard would be called out to help stranded and home bound people, the whole infrastructure here would be crippled for atleast 10 days, resulting deaths would be between 5 - 20, enviromental damage from damaged and fallen tree's would run into the 100's of millions and the economic loss to the timber industry would be devistating as it relies almost exclusively on pines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts