Spacenet 4 Ku (S8/Z4) prior to malfunctioning (1998)

JosephHolloway1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Porter Ranch, CA
as the C-Band side of Spacenet 4 (S4) has Starz! Encore channels (Starz! East, Starz! West, Starz! 2, Westerns etc...) as well as WWOR 9 (UPN - New York) and the PT24 West channels (KOMO/Seattle (ABC), KNBC/Los Angeles (NBC), KPIX/San Francisco (CBS), FOXNET (FOX - National Feed) etc...), aside from PBS feeds, educational channels and news feeds across the country. I wonder what the Ku side of Spacenet 4 (S8/Z4) had prior to it malfunctioning around April 1998? please tell me what you think!

If anyone knows and cares to share their knowledge on this matter, I am certain that they will contribute to this thread. Otherwise, there is nothing to exchange and no reason to post...

Harshness has no interest to contribute to your quest, so please either patiently wait for an informative reply or bump the thread on occasion to bring this matter back to the top of the forum and remind us that you are looking for specific information on this subject. ;)

Reactions: MikeI and KE4EST
+harshness how come?
In that we can't change the past and what happened in the 20th century probably isn't going to impact current or future satellite operations decision making, it is uninteresting trivia.

I believe the failure is one data point among many failures (both whole and partial) on a chart that was long ago dismissed as not representative of the state of the art. The vast majority of operational satellites in the Clarke Belt today were built and launched with most of the meaningful information to be had from this event baked into their design.

Pardon me for reviving this thread but I wanted to chime in saying that in the Satellite TV Week Magazine (from June 29-July 5, 1997), I found that Spacenet 4 Ku, transponder 20 and 24 were being used for sports and news feeds (since Ku was an occasional video bird).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)