Spam Call

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
I got a call and the caller ID was Dish's #. The caller was off shore and was telling me that Dish was changing the orbital location of their satellites and wanted me to enter my menu. I told him I did not believe him and that I would call Dish to check this out and hung up. I called Dish and notified them of the SPAM call. They knew of the scam and said they would put a watch on my account. I told them I gave no account information out and hoped a watch on my account would not affect me in an adverse manner.

They are still running this scam. Got a call this morning from a "gentleman" with an Indian accent informing me that Dish was changing the orbital location to 107. He seemed nonplussed that I wouldn't turn on my TV for him. Probably wanted my receiver numbers, I'm not sure what they could do with them, but I figure Dish already knows them.

Funny, he sounded just like those folks who keep calling me about the errors my computer is reporting to them. Do warn your friends, people do fall for this and the results are not pretty.

Sometimes I wonder if a phone is more bother than its worth, with all the calls I get about my computer's security, free cruise offers, and people who want to buy my home. Yeesh!

I don't have a home phone or landline, but I get spam calls on my cell. The nice thing about the cell phone is the ability to instantly block numbers.

Then again, the spammers are getting more and more advanced- they even spoof local numbers to make it look like they're calling from my area. The have area code and prefix matching mine.

I don't answer numbers I don't recognize... If it's important, they'll leave a message. If someone changed their number, they can still text me and tell me or leave a message. I refuse to answer a phone number that doesn't look familiar. It's the easiest way to avoid spam calls...
You missed the point. The caller id says Dish 1-800-333-3474. Last week I received a call that showed my number. The spammers have better SW personnel than Dish or the Telephone companies. Since it is us and not Dish nor the telephone companies that are getting hurt, they have little incentive to fix it. If Dish or the Telephone companies hAD TO PAY FOR THE SCAM COSTS AS A RESULT OF SCAMMERS USING THEIR #S OR SYSTEM, then you might see things changing.

Reactions: pattykay
If Dish or the Telephone companies hAD TO PAY FOR THE SCAM COSTS AS A RESULT OF SCAMMERS USING THEIR #S OR SYSTEM, then you might see things changing.

Why should Dish foot the bill for scammers' actions? Make the innocent pay for the guilty? Where's the logic in that?

If somebody spoofs my phone number to scam people, should I pay for their crimes?

This idea of "let's go after anybody who will pay" is getting old in our country. In the same vein, recent acts of Congress make websites responsible for the actions of 3rd party users, such that sites like Craigslist are now in danger of being shut down.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to this site.

Why should Dish foot the bill for scammers' actions? Make the innocent pay for the guilty? Where's the logic in that?

If somebody spoofs my phone number to scam people, should I pay for their crimes?

This idea of "let's go after anybody who will pay" is getting old in our country. Recent acts of Congress make websites responsible for the actions of 3rd party users, such that sites like Craigslist are now in danger of being shut down.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to this site.
The answer to your question is no you should not pay for people using your # if you are not making revenue from that #. However if you are making revenue from a # or website and you do not protect your users you should be responsible. Scammers stealing info from your sites or using your phone # or web site id to scam your users should be blocked from using your company property. I constantly get notices from LIFLOC that data has been stolen from companies that could be used to steal from me. Those companies have been fined but not required to cover the scam costs nor go out of business until they pass tests to prove they now protect their customers.

The answer to your question is no you should not pay for people using your # if you are not making revenue from that #. However if you are making revenue from a # or website and you do not protect your users you should be responsible. Scammers stealing info from your sites or using your phone # or web site id to scam your users should be blocked from using your company property. I constantly get notices from LIFLOC that data has been stolen from companies that could be used to steal from me. Those companies have been fined but not required to cover the scam costs nor go out of business until they pass tests to prove they now protect their customers.

Sorry, I disagree. Dish cannot and should not have to police every spammer that spoofs its number to scam people. It's not their responsibility.

Now, data breaches like the one that happened at Target are different. That's what I believe you are referring to when you mention LifeLock. If Target did not protect their own data, then that makes them liable. But somebody stealing a publicly available phone number and spoofing it isn't something Target or Dish or any other company can stop.

Two ways to deal with this:

1. As previously mentioned, don't answer if you're not expecting a call from Dish. If it is important, they will leave a voicemail.
2. Pretend to go along. e.g. "My receiver number is 11. Yes, eleven. What do you mean that isn't right? I know what I am looking at. Tell me your receiver number then, so I know that I am looking at the right thing." etc., etc. Waste their time, assuming you have some of your own to waste along the way.

I don't answer numbers I don't recognize...
Me neither, but I've gotten a half dozen calls in the last hour alone. This just started happening today. In fact, I just hit ignore on one call, and 30 seconds later another one from another spoofed number came in.

I think the point that odbrv was making, was that if the carriers had any kind of culpability in allowing these kinds of scams to continue, then their political clout would get something done to better prevent spoofing at a technical or legal level.

Reactions: pattykay
Me neither, but I've gotten a half dozen calls in the last hour alone. This just started happening today. In fact, I just hit ignore on one call, and 30 seconds later another one from another spoofed number came in.

I think the point that odbrv was making, was that if the carriers had any kind of culpability in allowing these kinds of scams to continue, then their political clout would get something done to better prevent spoofing at a technical or legal level.

Carriers, maybe. But Dish, no.

Reactions: navychop
I wonder if I set up call forwarding to my local police department, would my number show, or would the original caller's spoofed number show to them?

Reactions: HipKat
I got a call and the caller ID was Dish's #. The caller was off shore and was telling me that Dish was changing the orbital location of their satellites and wanted me to enter my menu. I told him I did not believe him and that I would call Dish to check this out and hung up. I called Dish and notified them of the SPAM call. They knew of the scam and said they would put a watch on my account. I told them I gave no account information out and hoped a watch on my account would not affect me in an adverse manner.

In this day of Spam, you just hang up on them. In business I get them all of the time.

Reactions: long_time_DNC
Yeah, I got a robocall yesterday that went to the recorder. My Windows will stop working very soon.... Funny thing is I have a Mac... ;) Immediately blocked on my Pro Call Blocker!

You should take the call and pretend like you're listening for a minute. Then ask them how the weather is where they are. "Oh, it is very hot in my country!" :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)