Spam out of control

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
In the past few days, my gmail account has been dealing with an inordinate amount of spam - stuff that is getting by its own spam filters. Its really getting annoying. But I keep dutifully flagging the stuff as spam. :)

Anyone else seeing an increase in the scourge of email?

Sometimes it goes in short waves with GMail. It usually doesn't take too long for GMail to catch-up and filter it out. Have you signed up for any new services lately that may have sold your address?

Sometimes it goes in short waves with GMail. It usually doesn't take too long for GMail to catch-up and filter it out. Have you signed up for any new services lately that may have sold your address?

No, not at all. Gmail definitely hoes go in waves, that is for sure. Hopefully it will smooth out soon. :)

Darn, I figured out what is going on. On my virtual web server (basically a linux apache box on a much bigger linux server), my email server is set for a catch-all email address; this is useful in that I can have numerous email addresses, all pointing to my main address.

The problem is that the spammers are sending to non-existing addresses @mydomain.org and they are all coming to my catch-all address.

I know that if I turn the catch-all off, it will probably stop it; but then I also lose the benefits of the catchall. Argh...

Darn, I figured out what is going on. On my virtual web server (basically a linux apache box on a much bigger linux server), my email server is set for a catch-all email address; this is useful in that I can have numerous email addresses, all pointing to my main address.

The problem is that the spammers are sending to non-existing addresses @mydomain.org and they are all coming to my catch-all address.

I know that if I turn the catch-all off, it will probably stop it; but then I also lose the benefits of the catchall. Argh...

What exactly is the value in forwarding all of the bad messages to catchall@mydomain.org?

If this isn't a business site and $$$ aren't running through it; all you're doing is making matters worse for yourself.

Cheers,

What exactly is the value in forwarding all of the bad messages to catchall@mydomain.org?

If this isn't a business site and $$$ aren't running through it; all you're doing is making matters worse for yourself.

Cheers,

It just gave me some flexibility; I could use a variety of email addresses without having to actually set them up. But if it continues, I will shut it down, for sure.

I have had it for 2 1/2 years and not had any problems until this weekend, when my spam started getting out of control.

I shut down the catch-all mailbox; after waking up to 29 new pieces of crap mail in my inbox, all addressed to fake addresses at my domain.

I created new aliases for a few of the common email addresses I use.

The garbage will still come to my mail server, but I won't have to see it.

some ideas

This was some years ago, before the email spam flood-gates broke, but here's how I had a sub-domain set up...

A buddy of mine who worked for Verio, set me up with one of their domains: ni.net
He rigged me up as: The.Knights.Who.Say.Ni.Net

Any mail name @ that domain was forwarded to me.
The likelyhood that anyone would stumble across the subdomain and spam-flood it, was minuscule.
...so long as I didn't publicize it...
Of course, if you post the entire subdomain on your web site, then you're screwed, of course.

Is there any chance you could set up a subdomain to act as a filter for your needs?
eg: catchall@unique.mydomain.org

...or, without the catchall...
The other thing I like to do, is let's say you send in a rebate to Reebok...
Make a mail forwarding account as: ReebokRebate@mydomain.org
At least, that way, you know who leaked your address, and you deactivate that mailbox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)