Sparklies...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
Has anyone noticed the sparklies getting worse lately? I was watching the History Channel last night (amoung other channels) and it was REALLY bad. I'd not noticed them on the History Channel before but had on the other channels I was watching. I've gotta say this is one VERY annoying problem as I don't just watch HD programming. I tend to watch the History Channel quite a bit (I'm a Modern Marvels junkie) as well as a few other non-HD channels and I'm concerned this problem hasn't been fixed and seems to actually be getting worse.

Anyone notice this?

The Rickster

Yeah, I noticed it has been worse the past couple of days. I'm hoping it has something to do with them trying to fix it :).

The only time I ever get the sparklies is when I open the main menu, and the picture shows as the small square in the upper right hand corner. No matter what channel I am on, the sparklies appear in the little picture. When I exit out of the menu, the sparklies go away. Weird.

The Stone Man said:
The only time I ever get the sparklies is when I open the main menu, and the picture shows as the small square in the upper right hand corner. No matter what channel I am on, the sparklies appear in the little picture. When I exit out of the menu, the sparklies go away. Weird.

Your TV may be better at filtering the large picture. I know when I'm using RF or Composite, my digital comb filter clears a lot of that junk up with both Voom and analog cable (which also has a few sick C-band LNB's in my area). However, when the picture is scaled for PIP or a IPG, the comb filter isn't as effective for the window. Nor are any of the other screen effects.

As far as the sparkles, that's probably a result of the sick C-band LNB on their analog feeds. Notice that a lot of the SD's and ALL of the HD's don't have those symptoms. It's because those are received digitally or are on a different LNB.

There is no encoder that is designed to introduce analog noise.

Hmmm...

I think you mentioned this in another post Cameron. Do you know if anyone at Voom knows about this possible cause?

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
I think you mentioned this in another post Cameron. Do you know if anyone at Voom knows about this possible cause?

The Rickster

I guarantee Wilt Hildenbrand is familiar with the effects of a failing LNB. His engineers may not be aware of it right now, or they may not see a great interest in correcting the issue as of yet.

My local cableco is still using a bad LNB. Comedy Central is purely unwatchable thanks to the sparkling.

History Channel

You'll see me around here about this too:

The History Channel is experencing problems with there uplink. I have a C-band and am from the C band community. We have the sparkles on our dishes as well. Voom reuplinks the C band VC2 signal to their sat Rainbow-1. The sparkles seem to be more prolific on Voom, and this may be caused by a failing LNB or a under aligned dish. I feel it's the later of the two, for they are also experiencing sparkles on many of there analog reuplinked channels as well.

Gettingn worse?

It seems to be getting worse lately. Either that or I'm just getting very irritated with it.

Why is it I didn't have the sparklies on DTV (just overall horrible pq) and I have it with Voom? Just because of a possible misaligned dish or bad lnb? You say there are sparklies with c-band though. I would think dtv, Dish and Voom would all have at least some sparkiles then?

The Rickster

Odd, I don't see sparklies on any channel. Except for my local ABC where there is a sparkly line running across the top border of the picture, but I think that is because they are broadcasting it in 4:3, and the picture is slightly disfigured(like a bad computer monitor where you gotta adjust the geometry to get a straight side). That's the only place I notice anything. But that is probably the locals problem since they just started broadcasting anything but the weather info OTA.

Augurr

I've got confirmation from Wilt that he is aware of this problem with Cartoon Network, Headline News, TLC, BET, NICK, CNN and History (too mention a few SD channels). He told me that this problem is being worked on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)