SPDIF optical cable from HR20 ????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johneric8

Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Gentleman, I'm having one of those moments where I feel my head will explode and I dont know th answers to these questions in my head and I'm hoping one of you great guys can help me out cause the idiots at circuit city dont have a clue..

Here the deal, I want to retain Digital Dolby out of my HR20 so I'm going to use a Digital optical cable right?

Now, here is my problem. My DVD player has an Digital optical cable going out to the 1 single digital optical input on my A/V surround amp.

How can I get both digital dolby signals to my amp with only 1 input? Do they make something that would allow me to put both optical cables into my Receiver?

Thanks so much!

Gentleman, I'm having one of those moments where I feel my head will explode and I dont know th answers to these questions in my head and I'm hoping one of you great guys can help me out cause the idiots at circuit city dont have a clue..

Here the deal, I want to retain Digital Dolby out of my HR20 so I'm going to use a Digital optical cable right?

Now, here is my problem. My DVD player has an Digital optical cable going out to the 1 single digital optical input on my A/V surround amp.

How can I get both digital dolby signals to my amp with only 1 input? Do they make something that would allow me to put both optical cables into my Receiver?

Also; http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=2009&sku=27027&engine=froogle

Thanks so much!

What you are thinking of is a TOSLINK - Optical TOSLINK Splitter. They can work, but are not great. A good work around while you start looking to upgrade the A/V head unit as mentioned above.

Last edited:
You can also buy a toslink optical switch. Monoprice.com has a manual model for less than $8.00. You can also get remote controlled versions (for a bit more money) elsewhere online. Just google "toslink switcher".

your receiver may have a coax type dd input also.If you can assign them to particular inputs you my be able to hook 1 up with the optical cable and the other with the coax cable.Otherwise I'd be looking for a new receiver myself.

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I guess it means getting a switch box or a new reciever. Does it really make a big difference using the Dolby digital outputs in regards to sound quality with the HR20?

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I guess it means getting a switch box or a new reciever. Does it really make a big difference using the Dolby digital outputs in regards to sound quality with the HR20?

Being digital, it should be the same bits on all (3) digital audio outputs (toslink, SPDIF, and HDMI). Therefore, DolbyDigital is the same sound for all. But you can't get DolbyDigital unless you're using digital audio (can't use the analog white/red rca jacks). The analog audio output is not nearly as good as the digital audio.

If you eventually pursue a new h/t rcvr, you might consider one with HDMI switching. More convenient and cleaner wiring, and you won't have to concern yourself about these issues.

Last edited:
Being digital, it should be the same bits on all (3) digital audio outputs (toslink, SPDIF, and HDMI). Therefore, DolbyDigital is the same sound for all. But you can't get DolbyDigital unless you're using digital audio (can't use the analog white/red rca jacks). The analog audio output is not nearly as good as the digital audio.

If you eventually pursue a new h/t rcvr, you might consider one with HDMI switching. More convenient and cleaner wiring, and you won't have to concern yourself about these issues.

I would go the new receiver route myself but it's always easier spending someone else's money.But with only one optical input it sounds like you are due to update the receiver.On the hdmi issue there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with equipment compatibilities and the ability to communicate with each other. hdmi is probably the connector of the future but I think component video with an optical sound feed is the more stable setup for now.I'm not a pro but this is my opinion from my own practical experience.

If you have an unused coax (SP/DIF) input to your amp/receiver, but you do not have any coax output from your DVD player, you could also buy a TOSlink-to-coax (SP/DIF) converter. They are fairly inexpensive on the internet.

Okay after reading all the useful info from you guys I'm getting there. The receiver I have is this one----- Yamaha HTR-5630 (google it please) it says it has a digital Coaxial as well. How would I use the digital Coaxial imput with the HR20? is it possible? if so, which cable would I use to go from the HR20 to the Yamaha?
The Coaxial input looks alot like the RCA input doesnt it?

If anyone knows what cable I would need could you provide a link? remember I need it to be able to retain digital dolby from the HR20 to my AMP.

would this be the box I need to go from HR20 to my coaxial on my reciever?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...2302&p_id=2948&style=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Blessings!

Last edited:
Does it really make a big difference using the Dolby digital outputs in regards to sound quality with the HR20?

If you have channels that provide Dobly Digital 5.1 audio, like the some of the movie channels or the HD package channels, or OTA channels, YEP! You get tje same audio quality as when listening to a DVD with 5.1 audio.

you can find your manual here http://www.usersmanualguide.com/yamaha_audio/av_receivers/htr-5630
page 23 has a note that both digital inputs accept a 96kz sampling rate but above 48kz you will lose your dsp and it revert to 2 channel audio
page 41 tells you how to assign the 2 digital inputs .

Thanks for all that hard work Jet! Sorry to sound like such a newbie but, why would I have to assign inputs? Does it sound like my unit will handle most audio situations? I'm not sure I totally understand the sampling rate issue you were trying to explain. I have never seen my unit resort to 2 channel audio while watching DVDS in digital dolby why would it be any different with audio from the HR20?

Is this the box I need to go out from my HR20 via optical to Coaxial receiver? http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

Thanks for all that hard work Jet! Sorry to sound like such a newbie but, why would I have to assign inputs? Does it sound like my unit will handle most audio situations? I'm not sure I totally understand the sampling rate issue you were trying to explain. I have never seen my unit resort to 2 channel audio while watching DVDS in digital dolby why would it be any different with audio from the HR20?

Is this the box I need to go out from my HR20 via optical to Coaxial receiver? http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback

you have 2 digital inputs that can be used with any of the selections on your receiver.You need to assign them so that when you select your dvd or sat on you receiver it gets its audio from one of the digital inputs.If you are aready hooked up with an optical for your dvd player your optical input is probably already assigned to the dvd selection on your receiver,you probably just need to assign the other digital input to whatever selection you will be using for your sat.

I'm not really to up on the sampling rate issue either but if you are already using the optical on your dvd player and it has not resorted to 2 channel you should be good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts