Speaker stand for temporary 90cm dish mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattopia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
Parma, OH
Hello everyone! I've been "planning" to dabble in FTA for years now but never pulled the trigger. I decided to finally take the plunge to experiment with Outernet on Galaxy 19 - might as well enjoy some FTA while I have the gear.

I ordered a GEOSATpro 90" dish/LNB kit off of eBay and am considering temporary mounting options. I have a pair of DJ-style speaker stands designed to hold some heavy speakers 4-6 feet in the air - I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried something similar? The upper part of the mast is about 1 5/8" diameter and I am fairly certain that the pipe is aluminum, so I don't think I'd be able to clamp down TOO tight...

A photo of one of the stands for reference:

13zziiu.jpg

Welcome to Satellite Guys Matt! Glad to read that you finally decided to dive into FTA! Your off to a good start with a very nice performing Geosatpro 90cm dish and LNB! Have you decided on what FTA receiver you want to hook up to your dish? The Manhattan 1997 receiver is always good for those just begining to tinker with FTA to see if you like it. But I guess you can buy a Mini Geosatpro receiver or Amiko A3 if you want, since everyone else on this forum will tell you the same thing; so that will already be decided for you. :) Anyway, the speaker stand will work ok, but only very temporarily. Like for a few hours or a day that you won't have any wind; just to see if Galaxy 19 will come in for you. Maybe you can get away with bags of sand to keep it stable without blowing over. I'm sure alot of RV'ers do the same thing while they are camping out. If you don't care much what's on Galaxy 19, adjust the dish to the next satellite and see if you like that better or not. If you decide you want to continue with FTA, you will have to find a more secure sturdy location to mount your dish, like a pole in the ground with concrete, or a roof or eve mount. I don't think your going to get Outernet though, unless you have the correct LNB and reciever to get it. It's only for Internet data, and I haven't tinkered with it myself; been too busy watching NHK World from Japan on 99W Ku. :) I hope your project turns out well.

Have used a PA stand for years when out with the RV or at ham swap meets demo'ing FTA. Keep the stand as low as possible and use ballast (like sand bags) on the ends of the legs and another in the center.

FYI... To make your own sandbags, cut a auto/truck inner tube in half or thirds, place two nylon ties on one end, fill with course sand then two nylon ties on the other end (like a large sausage). The sand wont leak out of the bags and the sand doesn't get wet unless it is submerged for a long time in water.

Have you decided on what FTA receiver you want to hook up to your dish? The Manhattan 1997 receiver is always good for those just begining to tinker with FTA to see if you like it. But I guess you can buy a Mini Geosatpro receiver or Amiko A3 if you want, since everyone else on this forum will tell you the same thing; so that will already be decided for you.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Chris! I've tinkered with many things radio and satellite, but this will be my first foray into FTA. Luckily my wife is used to various antennas and contraptions in the back yard - and the neighbors are getting there. I forgot to mention that I also have a Geniatech HDStar receiver ordered from Outernet. It's a USB receiver supported by Outernet for data, but it is supported on Linux for DVB-S/S2 reception so I'll be trying my hand at that as well. I'm sure I'll get a set-top box as well but for now I'll see where I get with the USB dongle.

Have used a PA stand for years when out with the RV or at ham swap meets demo'ing FTA. Keep the stand as low as possible and use ballast (like sand bags) on the ends of the legs and another in the center.

FYI... To make your own sandbags, cut a auto/truck inner tube in half or thirds, place two nylon ties on one end, fill with course sand then two nylon ties on the other end (like a large sausage). The sand wont leak out of the bags and the sand doesn't get wet unless it is submerged for a long time in water.

Thank you for confirming that this has been done and that I'm not crazy for planning to try it. Great suggestion on the sand bags too.

Can someone please help me properly set up my dishes for galaxy 19. I don't know what I'm doing honestly. I've mounted two Tokyosat 90cm dishes one with a stargold twin lnbf and the other with a Eurostar twin lnbf... I don't know that I've wired them properly, I had two coax coming out of each lnbf but I went down two one a piece and I'm still getting nothing

Can someone please help me properly set up my dishes for galaxy 19. I don't know what I'm doing honestly. I've mounted two Tokyosat 90cm dishes one with a stargold twin lnbf and the other with a Eurostar twin lnbf... I don't know that I've wired them properly, I had two coax coming out of each lnbf but I went down two one a piece and I'm still getting nothing
If these are twin (dual) lnb then they are designed with two outputs usually to feed two different receivers. Unless you are using a multiswitch setup to feed several receivers each coax runs to a receiver and they do not get combined. Which receiver are you using? Are you sure you are pointed at 97W? A few pics of the lnbs and descriptions of any switches, combiners you are using would be good as well. :)

Reactions: spongella
Nice setup mattopia, and welcome to the world of FTA. My first setup was just like yours, on the deck, but using a RadioShack tripod with the three feet bolted down into the deck planks. If you get windy days be sure to weigh it down. Have a great time!

Tampa Florida,

Sorry to hear about your problems. You have come to the right place for help as there are centuries of experience among this group. FTA4PA has got some great points for you to elucidate.

First off, I suggest getting one of the dishes aimed at a satellite for now. Set the other aside for a later time.

Aiming a dish is as much an art as a science.

Do you have a compass and satellite finder meter? Do you have the azimuth, elevation, and skew parameters for Galaxy 19 at your latitude/longitude in Tampa? Is the mounting pole plumb? Have you looked to see if there are any obstructions (trees, houses, bushes) to the line of sight path to the satellite? More detail is needed for us to help you out. Pictures are a big help.

When you say you "get nothing" what do you mean? Do you have your FTA receiver hooked to the TV and get no signal? Or are you getting no meter swing on your satellite meter? Do you have a list of the programs and transponder information for Galaxy 19? What FTA receiver are you using? Pardon the copious questions but the devil is in the details.

Your 90cm dishes should be adequate for FTA reception.

In the interim you might want to check out some YouTube videos. Give us some more details to assist you.

Tampa Florida,

Sorry to hear about your problems. You have come to the right place for help as there are centuries of experience among this group. FTA4PA has got some great points for you to elucidate.

First off, I suggest getting one of the dishes aimed at a satellite for now. Set the other aside for a later time.

Aiming a dish is as much an art as a science.

Do you have a compass and satellite finder meter? Do you have the azimuth, elevation, and skew parameters for Galaxy 19 at your latitude/longitude in Tampa? Is the mounting pole plumb? Have you looked to see if there are any obstructions (trees, houses, bushes) to the line of sight path to the satellite? More detail is needed for us to help you out. Pictures are a big help.

When you say you "get nothing" what do you mean? Do you have your FTA receiver hooked to the TV and get no signal? Or are you getting no meter swing on your satellite meter? Do you have a list of the programs and transponder information for Galaxy 19? What FTA receiver are you using? Pardon the copious questions but the devil is in the details.

Your 90cm dishes should be adequate for FTA reception.

In the interim you might want to check out some YouTube videos. Give us some more details to assist you.

I think she pulled an all nighter Tuesday/Wednesday and got it working. We got her to bring the TV to the dish and with all the other tips from members, got it working in another thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/galaxy-19-help-please.354123/page-9#post-3751117

Reactions: spongella
Oh, I must have temporarily been in a parallel universe and did not read that, but glad she got it working.

Like the peasants of old used to say, " if the dish won't come to the TV then the TV will have to come to the dish."

Thank you fred555.

Oh, I must have temporarily been in a parallel universe and did not see that, but glad she got it working. Thank you fred555.

Yep, there was a happy ending to the story! I think she got it working after 1:00 AM, I'm glad I was off from work Wednesday. It was pretty exciting when it was announced it was working.

I asked why I did not see a TV in the picture of the dishes, She was running back and forth to the house.
Tv at dish is a must.

Success was achieved, that's the main thing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)