Special requirements for vip722k OTA

usmaak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Hi,

I've been running OTA with an indoor antenna on my 1 year old vip722 for about 8 months now with no problems. I decided to set up OTA on my new vip722k this afternoon. When I went to attach the antenna coax to the DVR, there was no connector where there is one on the older vip722. So I found the only empty connector and connected the antenna. When I went to search for stations, none of the buttons were enabled, except for Cancel. Unfortunately I didn't have my glasses on, so I couldn't see exactly what it said on the connector to which I attached the antenna.

Is there something special that needs to be done when trying to use an OTA antenna on the newer vip722k?

The 722K has a separate dual tuner module that you have to purchase from Dish. After you install it, those buttons will no longer be greyed out.
No kidding? How does that work? I'm using two tuners through Dish right now, so that I can record two shows at once. How much does it cost?

I can't believe that Dish would do that. Well, I guess that I can, actually. Anything to make an extra buck.

You'll be able to record 4 things at a time if you install the module (2 OTA + 2 Sat). It's actually worth the 29.99 it costs (I think that was the price). I bought 2 and they did free shipping.

yep

What cditty said plus the tuners are a bit better than the older one. Means you can record all the "big 4 nets" at one time. I have to do that a couple of times a week now.

Really? I gotta admit, that would be cool. Let me ask this. Is this something that can be used with the older 722, or is it only for use on the 722k?

No kidding?
I can't believe that Dish would do that. Well, I guess that I can, actually. Anything to make an extra buck.

Dish figured not too many people even used the ota port on older receivers, so to save money, they eliminated them on the new "K" models. I have the mod on my 722k and love the fact that I can record 4 shows at once. In my area, dish comps them to customers, so the two I got (722k & 222K) were, no charge! :up:up

Actually, with the ota module and broadband hooked up to a 722K, you can record 5 shows at once, (2-sat, 2-ota, and one downloading from DishONLINE.) Take That AT&T!!

I'm having issues with the 722k and the OTA module. If have 2 recording set up off the ota module on channels 5-00 and 11-00 or ??-??, if I try to change channels the box tells me it will cancel a recording, I also get conflicts if I try to schedule 2 recording off OTA channels and 1 or 2 off sat.

my understanding and from what I'm reading I should not have conflicts or canceled recording messages if I try to view sat if I'm only recording off OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)