specific questions

tomdavid55

Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Question #1: I know dishnetwork has to activate your receiver, but if you install a new Dish antenna yourself, do they have to activate it too?

#2. Can a LNB go bad?

#3. If the answer to #2 is yes, How can you check it?
Thanks in advance.

Question #1: I know dishnetwork has to activate your receiver, but if you install a new Dish antenna yourself, do they have to activate it too?

#2. Can a LNB go bad?

#3. If the answer to #2 is yes, How can you check it?
Thanks in advance.

1. an antenna does not need to be "activated".

2. absolutely.

3. post the details of your dish, lnb, and reciver, and how you have it hooked up. then we can help.

I have a VIP722 DVR-SD, software L512, Device: DPP Twin,Twin (1), Twin (2), Dual (3), Dishnetwork 1000 antenna with 3 LNB's.
I bought a 2nd (used) antenna on Ebay identical to the one I have that works on my current system so I could take it and my DVR on long camping trips. After a lot of failed attempts to get the newer antenna aimed properly, I finally mounted it on my roof near the one that works. When I remove the cables from the one that works and connect them to the newer antennna, the DVR won't find the satellites. The satellite finder I'm using indicates that the newer antenna is getting a stronger signal than the antenna that does work. But the on screen signal indicater, (when you go to menu>611) shows no signal. The connections are proper and functioning properly as evidenced by the fact I'm switching the same cable with 2 diplexers back and forth between the 2 antennas. When I connect the cable to the old antenna, everything works. Connect it to the one I just bought, the DVR can't find the satellites. This seems to be proof positive that the problem is with the newer antenna and/or the aiming of it. I'm convinced it's aimed properly because the satellite finder reports a stronger signal coming into the antenna that does not work than the one that does. So how do I check the LNB'S?
Thanks for the help,
Jim

take the new lnb off of the ebay dish, and put it on your existing dish.
You know your current dish is lined up properly, so that will tell you if the lnb is the fail point.

Also,
you may not HAVE to, but it is a good idea to run a check switch after you move stuff around and unhook stuff.

and just because you say you have a good signal doesn't mean anything... there are a few satellites up there, and you could be hitting any of them

I just realized that even though the antenna and LNB's I just bought look identical and on the dish part it says on both "Dish Network 1000," the numbers on the LNB's are different. On the old antenna that works the double LNB says, "P/N 151300." The newer one looks the same except it says, "AK72-BTE." The old single LNB says,"P/N 151019," and the newer one says, "AKH1-DPS."
Does this matter? I haven't tried switching them yet but I might depending on the answer I get here. I'd like to avoid taking the one that works apart if possible. Like I said, everything looks identical so I should be able to switch them.
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate the help and ideas.
Jim

Orlando Locals down since 19th

Newbie question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)