Spectrum/Charter router Joey Connection issues

jason510

Original poster
Sep 1, 2019
SoCal
Like most on here, I can't believe this isn't a more common problem. Here's the deal, I have a Hopper 3 w/sling and a non-wireless Joey. When I use the Spectrum router I have problems. When I use a new TP-Link Archer A10 router, DISH connectivity works great, without any resets blah, blah.

Long story short, I'm trying out a Spectrum router and considering returning the TP Link for a couple of reasons that I won't go into here.

I am not able to use ethernet the way equipment is arranged in my house. So here's what I get with the Spectrum Router. I get internet connectivity, all green signals between router and internet ON THE HOPPER, yes I have bridge set up, but it will not let me change that setting on the Joey by the way.

On both MoCA menus (Hopper and Joey), I get DHCP "OK" but Server Connection and Internet Connection "Failed".

It appears to be an issue with IP addresses because if I remember correctly, the Spectrum router gives me different IP addresses on Hopper and Joey. I'm thinking I don't have this issue with the TP-Link, but I didn't check. I have unplugged all devices (modem, router, both Hopper and Joey) via power cable and reconnected them all in that order same order. Nothing.

Plug in TP-Link router and DISH equipment works great, without having to restart DISH gear.

I have Chromebooks, Windows 10 laptops, iPads, Android phones, iPhones that all connect with no problem (not all at the same time) on the Spectrum router with no problem, just DISH.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Assuming this isn't trolling ...since you have the answer in your own question trouble shooting seems a waste of time.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Oh no, jason510! We hate to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your Joey! When you try and access Pandora or Netflix on the Joey, do you happen to get any error messages while the Hopper is connected to the Spectrum Router? -- Jake B

Like most on here, I can't believe this isn't a more common problem. Here's the deal, I have a Hopper 3 w/sling and a non-wireless Joey. When I use the Spectrum router I have problems. When I use a new TP-Link Archer A10 router, DISH connectivity works great, without any resets blah, blah.

Long story short, I'm trying out a Spectrum router and considering returning the TP Link for a couple of reasons that I won't go into here.

I am not able to use ethernet the way equipment is arranged in my house. So here's what I get with the Spectrum Router. I get internet connectivity, all green signals between router and internet ON THE HOPPER, yes I have bridge set up, but it will not let me change that setting on the Joey by the way.

On both MoCA menus (Hopper and Joey), I get DHCP "OK" but Server Connection and Internet Connection "Failed".

It appears to be an issue with IP addresses because if I remember correctly, the Spectrum router gives me different IP addresses on Hopper and Joey. I'm thinking I don't have this issue with the TP-Link, but I didn't check. I have unplugged all devices (modem, router, both Hopper and Joey) via power cable and reconnected them all in that order same order. Nothing.

Plug in TP-Link router and DISH equipment works great, without having to restart DISH gear.

I have Chromebooks, Windows 10 laptops, iPads, Android phones, iPhones that all connect with no problem (not all at the same time) on the Spectrum router with no problem, just DISH.

Thanks in advance for the help.
It's absolutely a very common problem. That Spectrum Gateway, also Comcast, and MediaCom gateways, along with some others are on the list of compatible routers. Hoppers just don't play well with those devices. The best way to fix that is to find a way to add a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to the system, or, as you know, add a 3rd Party router

It's absolutely a very common problem. That Spectrum Gateway, also Comcast, and MediaCom gateways, along with some others are on the list of compatible routers. Hoppers just don't play well with those devices. The best way to fix that is to find a way to add a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) to the system, or, as you know, add a 3rd Party router

Yeah, I hear you. What's frustrating is that my best friend and my in laws have the exact same hardware for internet and DISH and have no problems.

I don't have a gateway, it's a modem and a router so I guess I'll be taking theirs back and keeping my router that I know works.

Thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Reactions: TheKrell
Oh no, jason510! We hate to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your Joey! When you try and access Pandora or Netflix on the Joey, do you happen to get any error messages while the Hopper is connected to the Spectrum Router? -- Jake B
Nope no error other than Netflix saying I need a broadband connection. Otherwise the Joey works normally, but my wife and kids need to use Netflix in our bedroom.

Have you tried the Google Mesh wifi routers? I connected them in my house, my office, my brothers house and my mothers office and they are amazing. Speed increased significantly and I can now troubleshoot everything from a single app. Just a recommendation to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)