Spectrum - Roku dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
NYDutch said “downloaded from Amazon”, which to me says it’s an approved App in the Amazon store. I don’t have a Firestick/FireTV, so I am not familiar if Amazon hosts 3rd party unapproved Apps in their store.

edit: I see he provided the link on Amazon for the App. :D
No, Amazon does not host unapproved apps...

Its amazon...that says it all
Maybe if it were Roku, it would. They are the ones picking fights with everyone. The apps is there, and it works. I just tested it myself. Here is photographic evidence from one of my Firesticks just now which was installed directly from the Amazon App store:

IMG_0800.jpeg

This isn't a political problem, but rather a technical one.

I don't know how many times in my experience one app has worked on one platform but not on another over the years, but it is significant. I used to have this exact problem with Netflix for years. I even have problems with Prime Video maintaining UHD resolution on the Firestick 4K that I don't on other platforms to this day, and I have a gig internet connection. For whatever reason, this happens. A company like Amazon isn't going to block a service that is making them money unless they detect something illegal or directly harmful happening on that service which is in violation of their terms of service. Whether you agree with the politics of Newsmax or not, they are doing neither of those things.

Reactions: Redbullsnation
Maybe if it were Roku, it would. They are the ones picking fights with everyone. The apps is there, and it works. I just tested it myself. Here is photographic evidence from one of my Firesticks just now which was installed directly from the Amazon App store:

View attachment 150060

This isn't a political problem, but rather a technical one.

I don't know how many times in my experience one app has worked on one platform but not on another over the years, but it is significant. I used to have this exact problem with Netflix for years. I even have problems with Prime Video maintaining UHD resolution on the Firestick 4K that I don't on other platforms to this day, and I have a gig internet connection. For whatever reason, this happens. A company like Amazon isn't going to block a service that is making them money unless they detect something illegal or directly harmful happening on that service which is in violation of their terms of service. Whether you agree with the politics of Newsmax or not, they are doing neither of those things.
Basically there are things in this world going on that has darkened my opinion of Amazon.. I do agree with firetv being a much more open platform than roku

I brought up that I thought Amazon wouldn,t let newsmax work but my Roku would is there was a story about the pillow man suporting TRUMP. After that story was over my firestick started playing Newsmax on it,s own. So I still think Amazon might be limiting free speech. Did any one hear of right side broadcasting. They broadcast trump rally,s and just about anything else. Well they are on youtube The previous day before the firestick wouldn,t let newsmax play, Rightside broadcasting was broadcasting for 2 hours showing the deserted streets in DC. They wanted to show the interview with the pillow man but youtube wouldn,t allow it, but they told you where you could see it on twitter, facebook and a couple other places. So my daughter watched the interview on facebook and told me all about it. So the next morning they showed the pillow man interview on Newsmax. Our freedom of speech is getting controled whether you want to believe it or not. I do not think I stepped on anyones feet explaining what happened and do not want to get into any political discussions as I enjoy satelite guys.

I brought up that I thought Amazon wouldn,t let newsmax work but my Roku would is there was a story about the pillow man suporting TRUMP. After that story was over my firestick started playing Newsmax on it,s own. So I still think Amazon might be limiting free speech. Did any one hear of right side broadcasting. They broadcast trump rally,s and just about anything else. Well they are on youtube The previous day before the firestick wouldn,t let newsmax play, Rightside broadcasting was broadcasting for 2 hours showing the deserted streets in DC. They wanted to show the interview with the pillow man but youtube wouldn,t allow it, but they told you where you could see it on twitter, facebook and a couple other places. So my daughter watched the interview on facebook and told me all about it. So the next morning they showed the pillow man interview on Newsmax. Our freedom of speech is getting controled whether you want to believe it or not. I do not think I stepped on anyones feet explaining what happened and do not want to get into any political discussions as I enjoy satelite guys.
Before you start spouting "Freedom of speech" issues, please read the first five words of the first amendment.

Reactions: dishdude and ncted
Any streamer that "phones home" sucks. Fire, Roku. Apple is the worse. You'll always be in Apple's pocket with anything you buy from them. The bite out of the apple in their logo is actually them sinking their teeth in your rear end.
IF I get another streamer it will be a Shield. Prime telling me I basically have to shut off my VPN to get their content, Roku the same.
There are ways to get around Fire/Amazon restrictions and censoring with YOUR device. Aptoide. Roku, sideload.
My last Apple product was an Apple TV 3. It sets in a drawer unused for years. Now with a jailbreak for it it may just come out of that drawer. It was ok to cast my PC screen to. Other than that...meh. My Sony Android TV does what the Fire can do with apps from the Playstore. And I can leave the TV on and hopefully not come home with Taylor Swift wailing away because a commercial said "Alexa, play Taylor Swift". You can get Kodi with a build for your Fire device and get away from Amazon quite easily. Ask them why you cant get Newsmax any more. See what they say.

Reactions: Redbullsnation
Apple TV is the way to go. ;). It has everything I want. I just wish they would make a better remote like Fire Stick.

My only experience with Apple TV was in a VRBO a few months ago, that remote almost ended up in the ocean!

I don't know how much Apple TV is, but I'll take the $50 Chromecast w/Google TV over it any day.

Android will play anything...they don't need a "store"
AppleTV+ via a browser on Android TV sucks. I haven't found any APKs from reputable sources, so please share if you know of another way.

So you want to roll back section 230...I think this is one of your best posts yet
It does seem that all sides think section 230 needs to be revisited at a minimum. Revoking it makes YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, SatelliteGuys, etc. into publishers though, which will result in very heavy-handed moderation (or censorship as some would say), so probably not what anyone actually wants.

Any streamer that "phones home" sucks. Fire, Roku. Apple is the worse. You'll always be in Apple's pocket with anything you buy from them. The bite out of the apple in their logo is actually them sinking their teeth in your rear end.
IF I get another streamer it will be a Shield. Prime telling me I basically have to shut off my VPN to get their content, Roku the same.
There are ways to get around Fire/Amazon restrictions and censoring with YOUR device. Aptoide. Roku, sideload.
My last Apple product was an Apple TV 3. It sets in a drawer unused for years. Now with a jailbreak for it it may just come out of that drawer. It was ok to cast my PC screen to. Other than that...meh. My Sony Android TV does what the Fire can do with apps from the Playstore. And I can leave the TV on and hopefully not come home with Taylor Swift wailing away because a commercial said "Alexa, play Taylor Swift". You can get Kodi with a build for your Fire device and get away from Amazon quite easily. Ask them why you cant get Newsmax any more. See what they say.

So you want to roll back section 230...I think this is one of your best posts yet
Section 230 is about removing liability for publishing 3rd party discussions. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Are newspapers required to print every letter to the editor they receive? Of course not. Is Twitter, Facebook, et al, that much different? As private businesses, shouldn't they have the right to decide what they publish as well?

AppleTV+ via a browser on Android TV sucks. I haven't found any APKs from reputable sources, so please share if you know of another way.

The app is supposed to be coming to the new Chromecast with Google TV in "early 2021". Once it does, I plan to finally try out Apple TV+. Hopefully the app will be in the Play Store for any Android TV device that meets minimum specs to download and install. We'll see..

Section 230 is about removing liability for publishing 3rd party discussions. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Are newspapers required to print every letter to the editor they receive? Of course not. Is Twitter, Facebook, et al, that much different? As private businesses, shouldn't they have the right to decide what they publish as well?
Lol lol lol lol..you have alot to learn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)